Information on romance scams and scammers.
#319842 by NikkiNoo72 Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:34 am
Hi - been chatting to a man for about a month - US Marine deployed in Kabul. Widowed, 8 year old daughter living with grandparents in the US. Have sent money to US to help with groceries..Now asking for help / deposit to assist with "leave" for him to visit me in OZ. I have asked if it was a scam, "of course not" he was just too good to be true...He tried to ring me (bad reception) but I actually thought he sounded Indian, calling me "honey" a lot :-) /I have received emails from [email protected] asking for my details etc.. they sent me forms with Generals, Sergeants names etc which I have seen on the net marked as fake....they want me to send a MoneyGram or Wire transfer to Alice Merkowitz in Ohio. Just a residential place :-( I told him I don't have the money etc. He is very upset with me saying he only needed a deposit and was borrowing the rest... Sound familiar to anyone?
Advertisement

#319843 by Mike Wilson Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:41 am
Hello NikkiNoo72,
This is standard romance scam script used by scammers from west Africa. The person you are in contact with is not and has never been in the armed forces. Everything he told was a lie with the goal to steal money from you.

The best thing to do now is to go silent and ignore him without telling him that you know it is a scam.

Please post all email addresses and telephone numbers used in this scam as a warning to other possible victims.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon