Information on romance scams and scammers.
#66066 by smurffette Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:51 am
hi

i have just been talking to a guy called greg fordice who is a sgt. in the us army, military police. everything was fine until last week when he proposed. i said yes unfortunately. i said he was going to apply for leave then came back two days later and said it had been denied due to his benefit funds not being claimed for 13 years!!!

he told me he had to have a beneficiary and asked me to be that. i said yes, i loved him. i then received emails from the department of defense us army from a Sgt. Elizabeth Gilham. i emailed back attaching a completed appraisal form. i then received another email from a Sgt. Cathy Jewels with another form detailing what his benefit fund consisted of. in total i was supposed to receive 580,000$. i sent all my personal id yesterday to them.

my son started to question the forms i had received and did some research on the internet. he found a site where he copied and pasted the same form i had been sent. i was gobsmacked which believe me, im not often lost for words. to cut a long story short i didnt exactly tell him i knew he was a scammer. i just told him facts that he didnt like and started to question. in the end he went offline.

the dating site is justsingleparents.com please be careful it is full of them. apparently greg has 2 children - jane 7 and justin 9. one of his photos is of his son and himself at a baseball game. the photos he is using are of a guy who is absolutely gorgeous. i thought what does he want me for. he is a smooth talker this guy.

i have had to make telephone calls this morning to dvla as they have a copy of my photocard driving license and to the inland revenue about my national insurance number. i am now worried they will use my details to commit other forms of fraud.

i cant believe i fell for this guy. this makes it more difficult for genuine guys on dating sites to be in with a sporting chance. now i am going to be on my own for a while. i have had enough of scams.

i was almost done by a different guy called george mills still on the same dating site. he has his own business and on business in south africa. has a son who is 12 called kevin. his wife died 2 years ago in a car accident with his parents. he was sending me a package with 2 iphone 4's 32 gig, apple mac, a diamond ring, diamond bracelet, a brown envelope with photos of him and his son oh and his yorkshire terrier called terry. also there was 401,500$ in there too for out future. i received a phone call from someone and was asked to pay £357 in order for the parcel to be delivered to me. this is untrue as you would receive a letter not a phone call. the area code from the call was +601 which is mississippi. couldnt understand why a parcel from south africa would go to mississippi to come to the uk. anyway turned out he was a scamer and he did admit it to me. i wouldnt recommend to anyone to play games with them. he threatened to get me when i did. oh and he has a facebook acc too. his email was [email protected]

so yes i have almost been got twice, but i can hopefully say never a third. i am so weary now its unbelievable. im just glad that my son found this site and i have had the chance to tell others about 2 more scammers.

take care everyone and keep safe
Advertisement

#66069 by maltbabe Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am
Hi:

I have one of those taliking to me. Except that this one claims he is sergeant. I wish i knew how to post the pictures here and see how many of us he tried to fool. His name according to him is Seargant James Harrison from Tampa, Florida.

I had a good friend in the army run a query and the guy is a phony. please advise on how to post pictures and I will so everyone is awaee.

I did not send money but he can be persuasive BE ON THE LOOK OUT!
#66121 by africara Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:57 pm
I can't believe that my church singles site administrator isn't going to do anything about the scam artist in his mist due to the scam not being perpetrated on the singles site. I truly feel bad for the scammers next victim. :cry:
#66124 by Helen Halper Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:54 pm
Hi africara!

I'm really sorry to hear that the admin at ldsdates.com are not taking your warning seriously, regarding the scammer Sean Philips using the email address of [email protected] IP address: [98.138.91.71]

After your experience with him and his lies, that must be extremely frustrating for you. Well done reporting him, both there and here, and please continue to report any other scammers that you come across. :D

#67467 by pookieswoman Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 am
I have been contacted by two different "soldiers" that are supposed to be deployed in Iraq. I guess the old saying, " If it seems to good to be true" really says it best! Within the first 3 days of chatting with them, they told me they loved me and wanted to be with me forever. I met them both on BeNaughty on fb.

The email addresses are as follows along with their names:

[email protected] and the name he uses is Sgt. Zachary Rhyner

[email protected] and the name he uses is Sgt.Andrson Philip Smith

Both of them have asked me to contact their Colonels to request their leave, which of course I have NOT done. "Anderson" told me to contact Colonel Peters at [email protected].

Thank you for alerting me to the scam. Is there anything that we can do to let the real soldiers know that they are being used to scam women?
#67486 by Arnold Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 am
Welcome to Scamwarners, and I'm glad you weren't scammed. We don't have the resources to alert the real soldiers, and in most cases, scammers seem to invent the names (something that some of them aren't good at). "Zachary Rhyner" for example, doesn't sound real.

#67500 by began steele Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:48 am
Sgt.Andrson Philip Smith
was this a typo? We had a benefit fund not being claimed a while back. I can't see it or is Oldtimers Disease getting at me ?

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#67503 by began steele Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:09 am
smurffette . NOTHING WILL HAPPEN WITH YOUR DETAILS. Scammer may run a fraud with them but once again you will be another victim so you should be alright and you posted it here and notified correctly. You recent psoters need to give us as much info as you have. Mostly scammers use them as a credibility test.
And don't send money EVER . Internet money asks are always a lie.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#69878 by lilmama Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:04 pm
I am from Canada...I have been corresponding with a "Sgt. Ralph Edwards" since spring time...My daughter googled him and found him on quite a few "romance scammer" sites...I called his bluff and stopped writing to him...he's been writing to me again. He has never ever asked me for anything..not a penny, not a gift etc..Of course I'm still very wary of him...He has now asked for me to write to: [email protected] requesting for his early leave by Christmas. his reference letter to the "leave department" is Kabul:2011/re/46790

His email address is: [email protected]

So, is he the scammer my daughter found him to be? I have been approached by many romance scammers and they have all asked for money, gifts etc...but this is the first time this fellow has asked me to do anything for him...

I'd appreciate any info you can give me...Thank you...
#69892 by Helen Halper Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 pm
Hi lilmama!
Yes, "Sgt. Ralph Edwards" is most certainly a scammer.
Please read: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6528
Part of that thread says
Help Getting Leave scam

* In this scam the fake soldier will tell you that he would like to meet you but in order to do that he will need to make an application for leave which will require a fee to be paid.
* You will be introduced to other characters played by the scammer, supposedly his superiors or other government officials, who will tell you that fees such as a "replacement officer fee" need to be paid (often by Western Union or Money Gram) to various departments or officials such as Department of Defense or Homeland Security.
* After you pay the fee, the scammer will give you a new reason as to why he can't be with you, requiring you to send even more money to overcome this fictitious obstacle. This cycle will continue as long as the victim is willing to pay.

Important facts to note about Military leave:

* Military leave is not bought. There are never fees to be paid before leave will be granted.
* A visit to a boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee would not qualify as emergency leave.
* An outside person can not apply for leave for someone in the US military. Only the soldier can apply, through official military channels.

If you are corresponding with someone who claims to be from any branch of the US military, and he asks you to complete ANY military forms, or you are contacted by any "military official" in relation to him/her, it is a scam.

Please stop communicating with him and thank your daughter for her concern!

#69963 by lilmama Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 am
Thank you Helen...I did check the web sites you suggested..4 ip addresses are from the USA...the originating ip address is from ICELAND...

Thanks so much for the info..I'm usually very smart when it comes to things like this...But he certainly pulled the wool over my eyes....

My daughter was very suspicious when I told her that he wanted to marry me, just a few months after we started corresponding...

Thanks again for your info....It makes me very sad that ppl are using soldiers who put their lives on the line for us...so they can scam women...But I believe in Karma...
#70004 by began steele Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 pm
ppl are using soldiers who put their lives on the line for us
Some may argue that these ones don't deserve the compliment of being called "people". I prefer "Criminals" and others use more derogatory terms. And yes indeed, the Karma. They have a high risk job and carry guns etc. And "he who lives by the....... "

#71007 by Ardmina Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:18 am
Hi well add another name to that long list of scammers and victims. I have been chatting with whom i thought was a in the Army, he asked me to mail for his Vocational leave, I question this and he said he didnt really know this is what one of the guys told him to do. I did this and was sent back a email of a small form I filled it out even ask for his active duty number. Then i got the i needed to send money, well thats not happening. I knew that the military doesnt require a fee and i told him this, I also informed him that the addy he gave me was a scam... He acted like he was pissed, Now i am not sure if he is in the military and just didnt understand protacall on how to get a leave. But I have keeped all the emails and his pic's, He is also listed on my facebook as we are engaged... I would really like to be able to find out the truth on this, because if this is a scam, it would be nice to get this guy before he destroys someone...
#71013 by began steele Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:40 am
Ardmina would you ensure you get your mails texts and email addresses of scammer here. Headers are a bonus but we know what we are dealing with anyway. Please remove your personal details where else it is .