Information on romance scams and scammers.
#324575 by MyMinuit Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:48 pm
Warning! Do not accept any friend request on Facebook or email from a man calling himself "GREG MILES."
Hello! I am so thankful I found this site. After looking at this site and reading one of the stories from a member, I learned the true nature of what has been happening to me. I have lost $26,000 to this scammer. The other's member's story from "Michele" is VERY similar to mine. (her story was dated back in 2011----and it sounds like the same person!!! Her scammer's name was MIKE DUFFY)

I accepted a friend request on Facebook in late Jan 2017...I usually don't so easily, however this man was very sweet and respectful..blah, blah....He had very attractive photos. He said he was 52, a widower from Sweden and had a daughter. He said he was a geologist and worked for a drilling company here in Houston.

He states he was working on a 6 month contract and was on a "rig" outside the city...he said he had to move to Baytown from Houston because of this contract. He quickly dropped his profile off of Facebook and we started to email and talk on the phone quickly. He said he hadn't dated since his wife died from cancer 3-4 years ago, and when he found me on FB, he knew I was the one for him. He said it was "destiny" and a "miracle." I tried googling him and found nothing....I figured his name was pretty common anyway. Soon, he emailed me a copy of his "contract" which and told me he "trusted me completely" to see it and it was "confidential." On this contract it said he would be receiving 1.5 million upon it's completion. I started talking to him very late Jan 2017.

Emails were super sweet of course....very tender....he was so nice....he often told me he could not wait for us to be together after his contract was done, so we could be "ONE."
Soon he said he had trouble paying taxes on a bank account he had in Turkey. He said he had deposited a lot of the money he had earned from his contract into this account. He said that he uses supplies from Turkey for his work. He said he had to get the funds out of this account so he could pay his "workers." He wanted me to pay these taxes for him so he could then get his funds and they pay me back and then pay his workers. He said he had trouble getting on the bank website because he was on a rig and the connection was very bad...

I became very suspicious and told him so. He then gave me his bank account number for the bank in Turkey as well as the user name and password into his account to have me trust him more. He "reassured" me that once I paid the taxes, I would be able to get onto his account and pay myself back immediately.
So, I did pay his taxes, got into his account and then I got an email from his bank saying I could not transfer any funds because I owed a $60,000 fee for an "ANTI-TERRORISM CERTIFICATE." The bank said this fee was to investigate the account to make sure there was no criminal activity attached to it. The bank said that once I paid this fee, I could then transfer funds from this account. The scammer even had a friend send in some money to pay a part of the fee and I got emails from the bank stating this. He said there was no one else that could help him, and he made "so many calls" to try to get help.

I was very emotionally invested at this point....very attached to him....had so many good talks, etc, etc BLAH!
We would often talk about how excited we were to see each other soon and for me to meet his daughter. I let him convince me to apply for a loan to help him with this fee (for the anti-terrorism certificate), and he said that since I would have complete access to his account then I could then transfer all the money he owed me back to my account. He said that I could create a formal agreement with the bank to automatically pay the loan back immediately upon receiving my money. LUCKILY, I DID NOT PAY THIS FEE FOR HIM. I did a lot of research today!!! I found out that ANTI-TERRORIST DOCUMENTS ARE FAKE!!! It is a total scam. AND Then I found this site today....(4/6/17) Scammer info: Greg Miles, email address is [email protected].
I feel embarrassed and ashamed that this happened to me, because I thought I was better than this.....I know now how easily this can happen!!! Personally, I have been in a vulnerable spot with my father passing away recently and also a long term relationship ending last summer. I was a sucker for the attention and adoration. BLECK!!!!! Thanks for reading my story. xxxxxxx
Last edited by AlanJones on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Added paragraphs.
Advertisement

#324737 by AlanJones Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:54 am
For the bots - Romance Scammer - Greg Miles - [email protected]

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.