Information on romance scams and scammers.
#325806 by hayang Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 am
Hi, I am new here and just stumbled onto this site while doing some online research . Well here is my story, Since December .. yes its been that long... I have had this guy sending me DMs to my twitter account claiming to be Gerard Butler... now I do really like Gerard Butler .. and follow the real verified account on twitter as well... This person has been polite and respectful... and believe it or not .once or maybe twice I kind of hoped it may actually have been the real thing.. lol But logic rules in my life ...and I figured it was just a kid being stupid... well lately ... I have thought otherwise... the polite and respectful as gotten a little more suggestive altho still with boundary's. I have also noted a lot of errors in grammar , altho the errors come and go ... it occurred to me that it could have been the difficulty of typing on a mobile device ...I joined a twitter tech forum in hopes that someone might help me find the ip address.... but no luck.. oddly ... I have another follower who claims to have seen my message on the forum... he has been sending me direct messages as well... I don't think it is related but then again u never know... I asked this second person how he found me .. and he referred to the forum... he said he was directed to the forum when he joined twitter... oddly I was never directed to a forum but then again maybe I don't remember .... I am being careful with this new person ...he is definitely not using broken english .. in fact he volunteered his location as being in the UK.. Anyway the reason for this post is because the Gerard Butler guy... sent me a dm on Monday saying he was deleting the account. and provided me with his personal email .. asking me to email him there from now on.... I just happened to be online when he posted this... and I immediately asked him why... he said the purpose of the account was finished and it was a business account.. but in no way related to his movies or promotions..(lol) I of course played along and told him I understood and agreed to correspond with him by email. he then said something that alarmed me.... :shock: mainly due to the fact that since he is not Gerard Butler how the hell would he pull this off...he asked if we could go out for coffee when he gets back to the states , as the real Gerard Butler is currently filming the movie "Keepers" in Scotland as the moment. :shock: Ok so what I have done is set up a fake email and emailed him for the first time tonight.. based on this I was able to determine that the time frame is eight hours ahead of me ... which of course could be anywhere in the UK or possible Nigeria...or Scotland (LOL...JUST KIDDING) I will admit , I am enjoying this game... but my question is .... what kind of a scam could this be? as I don't see how it could turn into any kind of money for this person ... unless he can convince me that Gerard Butler is now broke and destitute.. :laugh-s: and needs my money to stay a float.... any insight into this weird situation would be appreciated... oh and btw , the fake twitter is still there... I at first thought that twitter took it down...as maybe they were on to him.. but I asked the Gerard person tonight and he said that it takes 30 days to deactivate a twitter... I don't think this is the case.. but have not had time to double chk this info with them yet.... anyway that is my story any insight appreciated.. also is there anyway to pin point the exact location with the email header? it is def over seas.... thx ALD
Advertisement

#325813 by AlanJones Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:45 am
Possibly it is a variation of a romance scam and he will try to convince you to receive funds for him or claim that he's had an accident and needs your assistance or possibly he has no financial motivation and is just trolling you.

As he potentially has your real life details (depending on how much info your Twitter account gives away about you), you would be best off blocking him on Twitter and not responding to any further contact.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#325828 by hayang Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 pm
The email is not my reg email.... I created it just for him last night.... he is not using the twitter account anymore.... they seem to think it is dangerous to communicate with him on another website...... I don't want to cease all communication as I don't want to piss him off I had no intention of EVER meeting with him or sending him any funds... just an fyi....if he had asked for funds , I would have deleted immediately .. I don't have my location exact location set on twitter , altho he is aware the state I live in since that is available ... too late to change it now... it was there when he first started following me ... I was thinking about emailing him and asking him to send me a picture. maybe giving a thumbs up .... when he cant comply ..he will know that I stopped talking with him for a legit reason .... it should stop him I think.....