Information on romance scams and scammers.
#334956 by IDB1988 Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:11 pm
Hello,

I have been in contact with a guy claiming to be a US solider deployed in Afghanistan. We met on a gay dating website. We have since exchanged emails including pictures. I have searched for his pictures and an old instagram account showed up from another website. Some of the pictures he sent me were not found by google anywhere. I have read about the soldier scams but he hasn't asked me for money. He does make some grammatical and syntax mistakes in his emails but the sentences sound fine as a whole. This is what he asked me:
----
The problem at the moment is that i put all my paintings in a storage facility in Dubai because it was cheaper to store than any other secured place i could think,and the contract expires in a few days.Although i had a notification from them 6 months ago informing me about changes in U.A.E policies on foreign investment,but i failed to nip it in the bud at that time because i got so busy with work,and totally got distracted.Now,i have no option but to ship it and if i don't the new regulation is that my valuable paintings will be sold at a non competitive price at an auction(likely at one quarter value),now this is monumentally vital to my future,our future in the grand scheme of things,because it will scuttle my plans.

Would you be able to help me receive it and hold on to it for me before i come home?I would have asked for it to be sent here to base but it's outright impossible from the logistical sense and of course i am not even allowed to do that.

----------
Basically I'm pretty sure it is a scam but not completely sure. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
Advertisement

#334959 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:18 pm
It is 100% a scam with lots of grammar mistakes.

The scammer will have you pay fake fees.

In a way he did ask you for money.

Please post his name, rank and email address. This way other will avoid this scammer.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/