Information on romance scams and scammers.
#336302 by Alexandra Sz. Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:38 pm
I would like to report a scammer under the name "Sergeant Major Gerald Mahoney". I was in touch for 1 month via Facebook Messenger and today he asked me to do an emergency license request to the e-mail address: [email protected] telling me also there will be a fee to be payed by me. I will reproduce his text:

"Dear sir/Madam

With my deepest regrets,
I have to request for leave today for my Fiance Major seargent Gerald Mahoney in Syria Raqqa with the above details RANK: Major Sergeant, INTELLIGENCE AUTHORIITY CODE: 71263R2, LOCATION : Syria Raqqa, i am sorry for the short notice of this leave application request for my husband as it is an emergency. i wish to get him this leave for our upcoming wedding and thanksgiving anniversary.. I will make my husband report back to work as soon as the leave duration granted to him is due,and as soon as our wedding is over,our thanksgiving anniversary is over Thank you for your kind understanding on my emergency leave request application for my husband Sergeant Gerald mahoney. I deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused by this sudden circumstance.
Yours faithfully, .....(my name)"

Thanks to your site, I understand now he is a scammer, but for my curiosity I proceeded to send that e-mail only to see how much he will gonna ask. Two minutes ago I received the reply from that e-mail address and guess how much?

"UNITED STATES OF AMERICA JOINT FORCE WITH NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY ORGANIZATION – NATO- SYRIA PEACE KEEPING                                                                             
                                           BASE RAQQA
       UNITED STATES MILITARY INTERNATIONAL LEAVE BOARD

Attention: ... (My name),

EMERGENCY LEAVE APPLICATION FOR MAJOR SERGEANT GERALD MAHONEY.

PROCESSING FEE

This is in acknowledgement of the letter of your emergency leave Application on one of our soldier Master Sergeant GERALD MAHONEY, The emergency leave application you applied for on behalf of your fiancee Master GERALD MAHONEY a US troop on peace keeping mission in Syria Raqqa. In what you asked for we here by understand that you want to get a leave for your fiance Master sergeant Gerald Mahoney in this you will need to pay for a leave processing fee of [ €2000 Euros ] . The leave processing fee is a normal fee to pay if one wants to get an emergency leave to start processing your request in other to get all the necessary and required document ready and start a discussion about your leave request on behalf of your Fiancee. 

Thanks for your understanding. 
as we are poised to serve you better.
USA MILITARY WELFARE
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL LEAVE BOARD
  RAQQA UNIT PEACE KEEPING OFFICE. "

So, I want to help other potential victims and to receive any advice from you about what to do next.

Thank you sincerely for your help,
xxxxx
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations and removed personal information.
Advertisement

#336303 by Bryon Williams Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm
What is Sergeant Major Gerald Mahoney email address and could you post a couple initial emails from him. Remove your personal information prior to submitting.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#373332 by Erika8709 Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 pm
I would like to let you know I was so close to being scammed and would like to thank you for posting this. Steve Brown contacted me on Facebook, told me after a week he was going to Syria, has been there for 3 weeks and is now asking that I pay to get his leave paperwork done. So many red flags, from the website he sent usmitservices.com (unsecured WITH typos) but he seemed to have an explanation for everything. Then he sent me the same formatted template on what to say and use when “applying for his leave” when I screen shoted it, he freigned innocence. Then when I told him to bite me, he said it was either what I believed on the internet or him. Thanks for posting this & ladies trust your gut. If someone is too good to be true, then chances are true & you’re right! I wish I knew how to post his exact template! Beware ladies! I have also reported this to the US military under romantic scams. This is ridiculous. At 29 years old I never guessed this would happen to me but you’re never too old to learn.
#373558 by Mike Wilson Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:49 am
Thanks for posting this information.
http://usmitservices.com

Email addresses listed on fake US Military site:

[email protected]

[email protected]

The following is a completely false.; The soldier is the only person who can apply for leave and no fees need to be paid for any reason.

For the leave to be approved, the loved ones/friends/relatives who is applying for the leave must remit a refundable fee which is sometimes a percentage off his/her allowance and also for the welfare of other expatriates that will replace duty posts to continue to serve our beloved country. These are the durations available for the leave.

Here is a copy of the fake site using a different domain name.

http://www.usamilservices.com
Tel: 0800 USARMY

e-mail: [email protected]

[email protected]

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#373775 by Mike Wilson Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 pm
Another fake military site used in romance scams

http://militarywelfareunit.com/
www.militarywelfareunit.com

LEAVE APPLICATION

The U.S Army board of the welfare department has made the new rules for the
expatriates in war zones, that request for a work leave to be applied by their loved ones/friends/relatives for the reasons below.

Health Leave: The health leave is the visit whereby an expatriate/soldier under the U.S Army Organization is not in Good health and his loved ones/friends/relatives may need him home for proper treatment.

Marital Leave: This leave is whereby the Government gives an
expatriate/soldier opportunity to leave the war zone to meet up with their
fiancee for marriage purpose.
Tell Us your story

Military Welfare Unit © 2018 All Rights Reserved.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon