Information on romance scams and scammers.
#337096 by butterfly033 Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 am
Hello everybody! I surfed the net and found you early this morning. I have read a lot about scammers on your site and I am afraid I may be the victim of a scammer impersonating military personnel. I am very confused and I do not know who I should contact to tell my story. I already tried getting in touch with one member of your staff but I am not sure whether I did the right thing or not. I do apologize if that was not correct. Could you please kindly let me know which steps to take? Thank you very much in advance.
Advertisement

#337097 by AlanJones Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:07 am
Please post full details (name, rank, email address, telephone number) of the person you are in contact with and examples of some of their emails here so that someone can advise you properly.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#337102 by butterfly033 Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 pm
I will take the risk, as I really need to know if I am the victim of a scammer impersonating military personnel.
I searched the net and found your site by chance early this morning and started having lots of doubts.
Please find here below the details I have at my disposal about this US soldier:
Name: Jeesus Sanchez; Division: 101 airborne Artillery; Military rank: E6; Phone No: +995 555 29 17 41; email address [email protected].
He also gave me his UNIT email address: [email protected].
I met this US soldier on a dating site at the beginning of August 2017. He asked me for my phone number to better communicate via Whatsapp. He first told me he was in the Netherlands. He talked about meeting after only a few days’ chat and said: “if we are to meet it will be on rest and recreational leave of 45 days and I am scared I can’t use my card to purchase the ticket. Maybe if we like each other then we can proceed to leave application then you can cover the leave and ticket part and when you come to pick me at the airport you will have the refund” but I refused.
He then informed me he had been deployed to IRAQ. He added that he liked me (we had exchanged photos and I was fond of him too) and would like to keep on texting with me and having calls and video calls with me but that it had to be on a SECURE MILITARY LINE, that it is wasn’t a must but that a secure line would be a lot safer for him.
He said he was not allowed to use WHATSAPP or HIS MILITARY ADDRESS because “if they find out I am on here then I am going to end up in trouble”. He also said that SKYPE was not permitted because “they blocked video call on Middle East soil after a soldier was shot in the head while on video call with his family”. He also told me he may not receive my LETTERS, if I wrote.
He gave me the LINK of a satellite communication company http://www.ts2.pl to have a look at. First, he told me the cost for a secure military line was 650 euros for unlimited use. I got suspicious about his request, we argued, I said I didn’t believe him but then he found some sentimental and tearful way to convince me. Later on, he said the price was lower (530 euros) and we could go half half. I finally accepted. He asked me to send an email to his unit to tell them "I was on secure line with him" and I signed the message (name and surname).
I was a little bit surprised by the email ending (usa.com) though and told him. As far as I knew, all US military emails ended in .mil. He replied I was not trusting him again.
I was then told to send my part (285 euros) to MR. DAVID HORTON – TBLISI GEORGIA (Russia), he gave me the IBAN code of LIBERTY BANK, 74 ilia Chavchavadze Avenue. He said I had to send the money to the GEORGIA NATO BASE, because he was first deployed there and there we could find the secretary taking care of secure lines. He asked me to use AZIMO.COM to transfer the money.
I effected the payment through AZIMO.COM, but fortunately I used a prepaid card. The site first rejected the transfer because they do not accept prepaid cards but then processed the payment and debited my card by mistake. AZIMO.COM wrote to my bank to confirm that they will never get the money and that the funds will be unfreezed in about 1/2 weeks (so I am waiting to be refunded…hopefully).
As AZIMO.COM only accepts bank transfers, he asked me to submit the funds quickly as he had little data left on whatsapp. Yesterday he told me he pawned his watch to be ready to pay his part because he had no access to his account in the Middle East. I was about to transfer the amount this morning but, after reading lots of posts on your site, I found an excuse.
I have not stopped texting him as he might think that I am not trusting him again and get suspicious. He showed me photos of him with his son, he showed me photos of him wearing his uniform and his surname and military rank are well visible. I am so confused and disappointed and still hope he is not fooling me… Thank you very much for your help and support.
#337103 by AlanJones Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm
The details that you have posted have confirmed that he is a scammer and not a real soldier. This [email protected] is a free email address, not something the US military would be using and the military never require people to pay for communications with soldiers.

The best thing for you to do now is just block him and disappear. Don't accuse him or make excuses, just disappear and leave him wondering what happened.

Can you also post the email where you were given the Russian bank details as we can report those to the authorities as being used fro fraud.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#337108 by butterfly033 Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 pm
Dear Alan,
thank you very much for your quick reply. I am so disappointed. I can't believe people can be so cynical and cruel.
I will follow your suggestion, block him and just disappear. As to the Russian Bank details, unfortunately we communicated only through Whatsapp and all the information, reference person, bank, bank address, IBAN code were sent to me through this application. Let me know how I can let you have these important details.
Thank you again for your kind support.
#337574 by AlanJones Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:48 am
The scammer uses the following bank account:

David Horton
Liberty bank.
Chavchavdze branch. 74 ilia chavchavdze Avenue
GE29 NB00 0000 0101 9049 17

#351698 by Missy1234 Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:06 pm
Hello! I have been scammed by this one who claims to be staff sergent Sanchez. God, how stupid i feel , i sent him about 26000 USD before I figured out it was how it was. He is a smooth operator who ever he is. He pushed for money every chance he could . I took out loans and credit cards. I told him the other day cant anymore, I am no cashcow and I wouldnt send him another cent. Then he blocked me fron WhatsApp . My family warned me but it seemed alright. I have sent in a fraudcomplaint to the FBI and listed every transfer i made.
#351702 by Missy1234 Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 pm
AlanJones wrote:The scammer uses the following bank account:

David Horton
Liberty bank.
Chavchavdze branch. 74 ilia chavchavdze Avenue
GE29 NB00 0000 0101 9049 17

Missy1234:
That is the bank information I got too.
Is there anything more I can do , there isnt a snowballs chance in hell that i can get the money back?