Information on romance scams and scammers.
#341105 by IalsoFeelLikeAFool Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:30 pm
I am the one always warning friends about scammers, and now here I am. I can see how easy it is to fall for this.

Removed link to image because it lead to your real identity. Mike Wilson

This is "Robert" 53

I matched with this guy that said he was 55 km away from me as my settings won't allow people farther than 60 km to message me. Once he messaged me HE noticed that it all of a sudden was showing 9000 km away. He was shocked and asked where I was. I told him Ontario, Canada and he then said "Ah, I was in Toronto for business and left 2 days ago. It must have matched us while I was there". OK, I can accept that. He says he lives in Los Angeles but is frequently in Toronto. He is currently in Baghdad on a temporary contract with the UN as an orthopedic surgeon (yeah, when I found this site, I found all the orthopedic surgeons in the UN.). He asked me to connect with him on a different SM outlet and I suggested Facebook messenger. He said he didnt have it and asked if I would use WhatsApp. I saw a few of my friends were on it, so I figured there was no harm in that. We start chatting and he tells me his wife passed of lung cancer 6 years ago after 20 years of marriage. He has a daughter in university that he's very proud of. He is passionate about his job... In the mean time, because I am so jaded and skeptical, I do a bit of research. His photos don't hit on any reverse image sites. The phone number he uses for WhatsApp IS an LA number (where he told me he was from). He has impeccable grammar and spelling. He sounds educated, as you would expect a surgeon to be. He uses my name and not a common "babe" or "hon", etc. I am a physician's assistant, and let me tell you, he has some extensive medical knowledge. I had asked him to tell me what he does on a typical day, and he could have been reading the schedule of any doctor I've ever met!
I ended up here only because I didn't stop wondering. I googled "UN orthopedic surgeons" and found this scam site. I've only been chatting with him for a few days and he hasn't asked me for a thing. He has never made a sexual comment, or said anything even mildly inappropriate.
This breaks my heart to see how slick these people are.
So what do I do now?
Advertisement