Information on romance scams and scammers.
#47011 by nannygirl11 Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:53 pm
So met this guy online through a site called Militarycupid.com ... while I have met some very nice, real people on the site, I have also met my true "shining star". I say this because this creep thinks he has found the woman of his dreams, the love of his life, but what he doesn't realize is that I have been stringing him along just to get enough information out of him long enough so that I can report him. I must say it has been pretty interesting and quite humorous of a somewhat lengthy road as well. He uses the name George and from his email address, gather his last name is Wilson. He claims to be divorced for ten years, have a daughter aged 21 named Lisa (still can not figure out exactly where this girl lives besides all over), just turned 37 years old on January 19th this year, and has no parents. He uses the email addresses of [email protected] and [email protected]. HOWEVER he has no idea that I know he has an additional active email addresses.

I started talking to this person at the end of November and can't even begin to tell you the web of BS that he has created. I am an ex Army wife and know the ropes a little better than he thinks I do or gives me credit for. I find his antics disturbing but humorous. He claims to be a Captain in the Army, deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan. He has asked me for money ($500 this time)to be western union over to a Lisa Raley in Burnsville, Minnesota and to a Hanyun Li of Beijing, China ($190 this time). Money for him to have internet connection availability in his room so they did not have to drive to use the internet or use a friend's blackberry to access his emails. The military does not charge them for internet use and they do not need to drive through dangerous places in order to be able to get online either.

His latest scam he has thrown my way is that his CO and LT, are granting him a twelve week leave....TWELVE WEEKS??!! Since when?? No leave is longer than two weeks long and you lose a day coming and going. This is a special leave he claims...UH>>>OHH YEAH..it's special alright!! LOL. Because it doesn't exist. I have copied and pasted some of our discussions and emails below. You will find them pretty interesting. However I sent him an email requesting some additional information but little does he know, I have been stringing him along all this time as well, when the red flags went up as a "Captain" (who makes very good money) asked for money to be sent to him. I wanted enough info on him and his BS to report him, and boy is it mounting...

The pictures he has sent me (only two) are of a young, handsome gentleman resembling Galen Gering from Days of Our Lives, in his dress blues and one playing rugby but wearing an Army jersey with the Army insignia in the upper left hand corner of the picture. He is suppose to send me a picture of himself in his Camo...LOL can't wait!! I truly feel bad for the victim, which isn't me because I have never exchanged anything or sent money to this idiot, but the true soldier who has no idea he is being portrayed as a charmer or scammer across the internet. There is no George Wilson listed in the U.S Army as a Captain, however there is a Captain of the rugby team of Baylor University named George Wilson from 1996. HA!! Go figure...but I just let him go on with the "oh baby, baby I love you and miss you" garbage...he is quite the charmer and the poems..WHOA...kudos to the real author for sure, lol...

Here is one of the emails exchanged. I confronted him on something I came across since I have saved every single IM chat and every single email received and sent.( I do my homework well)....

Okay, now I'm confused....
So I was going back and reading through my emails and found one of the first one's you wrote me...This is why I thought you were living in NJ...(plus I know it said Clifton NJ on the website) until you said you lived in New Mexico...You said you "thought" that website had you down as living in NJ for some reason.. (?) but you put in the information...am I right?

This is from your email back in November...

"We are presently stationed here in Kabul,Afghanistan and its pretty sordid but i know you must have heard much about that on CNN.Grew up In PA but presently have my home in New Jersey though I dont stay home much due to my work"

(And this is from one of our recent talks in January)
Me:
you live in jersey right?

George W:
Have my home in Las Cruces,NM baby

Me:
wow really? I thought you lived in northern Jersey?
why did i think i saw that you grew up in PA but lived in NJ?

George W:
But I think that site got me down as from NJ

Me:
yes it did
it said Clifton NJ

So have you ever lived in NJ? What is the story behind all this?
Is it NJ or NM?
I'm sure you can understand, after reading this, why I would question you on this...I just feel sort of awkward right now and hope that you would understand why...I mean maybe it is nothing but again, I would expect you to do the same to me, if you were curious about something I said that went in two different directions...In less than two months time, the email changes from the end of November as opposed to the IM in January as to where you live...so yeah, my concern has me

HIS EMAIL REPLY TO THIS QUESTION IS AS FOLLOWS:

Hey Baby,
I am sorry I couldn't make it online last night and dont know when I will be able to get on so I wanna send you an email to explain about the NJ address,this is something I really wanna forget but will try to explain it the best I can and explain more when I am able to chat with you online.

Remember I told you I have been divorced for 10 year,well the main reason was because she cheated on me while I was deployed out of the country despite everything I did to make her comfortable,but before then we had our home in PA but she was raised in NJ and in 1998 she convinced me we should move back NJ cause she would love to be close to her parents and I agreed,we bought a home in Clifton NJ while I was still out and we planned to move there when I get back stateside but then I got back to realize she was having an affair with a colleague from work.

After the divorce was finalized,we placed the home on the market and she moved with him to Canada and then I was stationed in New Mexico but planned to move back to NJ because of my daughter so she could be near her grand parents and have some sense of family cause I am always away,Hence my profile reading Clifton NJ,4 days after I met you,she sent me a letter telling me she wants to move back to the states and to NJ and she would be paying for the home so I changed my mind about NJ.

I should have told you this then,but It seems so irrelevant but now its out...........I am sorry honey,I am not hiding anything important from you and you will get to know everything about me when i am home with you(please refer to my last email)

How was your night honey,its pretty cold here too and I do miss you loads,mostly when I am going to bed cause I am always imagining you lying beside me,holding me and telling me how I mean to you.

We cant make it back to base today cause something just came up,I just want to you know that when I was a little boy, I dreamed of that one person that I would share my dreams, happiness and energy with ... I could not see her face but she was there. I always felt like she was out there, I just needed to feel her. I visualized the bond we would have and the courage she would give me to endure life's obstacles. All these years I was with others, and feeling my way through life, learning lessons that later on would prepare me to become the person that I am now. I have felt alone and sad. Then one day my eyes opened and I became that little boy again ... realizing that she is here now. Here in my world was the woman that I had dreamed of and I'd hoped would not miss our meeting in life ... that woman is you and I am glad I found you.

Thanks for been you honey.........Will write you tomorrow or sunday

Love always
George

NOW HERE IS THE LATEST EMAIL I CONFRONTED HIM ON REGARDING A LEAVE BONUS AND HIS LEAVE: SORRY TO WRITE IN CAPS BUT WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEPARATE THE EMAILS AND INFO BETWEEN THE TWO.

My Love,
I know I dont have to tell you again how wonderful it was to read from you again today cause I really enjoy every bit of it as usual but right now I think it will be more interesting to be beside you,looking into your eyes while we just talk into the night.......

Leave bonus is leave allowance baby and I already got paid,the army even surprised me with how much they were willing to pay,now all we need to do is find a way to get me to London cause I am sure I should be able to cash some of the money orders on me at the airport in Heathrow so just help me look up flights from Kabul to Beijing or London dear,I hope it wont be much but not to worry cause I will give all those back to you as soon as I am home with you.

I would rather come home now rather than wait till october or november cause its getting crazier and more dangerous by the day and I dont want to be here no more.......I need to be with you soonest honey in order to keep my sanity.......lol

Yeah I know we are destined to be together,everything I have been through in the past couple of years has prepared me for you and I know you were sent my way for a reason.I promise never to ever leave your side ever honey.

I wonder what would have become of me if I had not found you. Your love is the sunshine that shines every day of my life; you are the rain that showers in my soul ... love is a magic; it works like a miracle. Your love is magic, I am so glad to be with you.You have shown me that love can be true, pure and genuine.

I knew from the beginning when we started communicating that you were special and that it was only a matter of time before I fell helplessly in love with you. You make me so happy and fulfill me so completely. I thank God each and every day for bringing you into my life. When I think about us I see a future of endless possibilities and everlasting love. Baby, you are my forever

Love always
George

The rock I was born under last night must be really heavy it seems according this guy and his Don Juan ways. My heart goes out to the innocent women and men who are taken advantage of through the kindness of their hearts and own being. Please never give any kind of personal information or even your real name to them for that matter no matter how convincing they may seem. Our military is taken care of by our government and any military person asking or requesting any kind of money be sent to them, is illegal and should be reported. My advise is to save (copy and paste in an email to yourself and make a folder to save them in) any conversations and IM's you share with anyone you meet on these sites just in case of incidents as such. Always great to go back and reference to and to send info to such people as CID should they request any kind of information.
Advertisement

#47047 by Bubbles Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:34 am
Thank you nannygirl11for posting this scammer's email addresses. [email protected] and [email protected]

You have posted some good advice at the end of your message.

What you are doing by stringing him along is scam paiting. We do not support that here at ScamWarners. Our sister site does and if you want to learn more I suggest you look there.

We don't encourage challenging scammers on their story as they use that as an opportunity to improve their effort. In effect, you become an editor for their efforts. I know you wanted to prove something to him. At this point, your best choice is to just drop him cold. You have done a great service by posting their information up here!

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#47066 by nannygirl11 Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:54 am
Thank you for the advise. Upon some additional advise I received last night, I have decided to NOT make further contact with him altogether. I just deleted him from my messenger and will ignore any further emails from him. Thanks for the additional advise. :)
#48677 by cooker100app Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:11 pm
One more captain in Kabul, Robert J Williams [email protected]
asked to register on miltary database as his spouse/next of kin to request his leave; which should have been sent to [email protected]. general should have not been confused by the fact of Spouses were living in completely different parts of UK.
Yesterday asked to top up his mobile (!) Imagine that for someone who claims to earn 96K.

What tricked me was he had his name's badge attached to uniform, Williams, apparently, two pictures of each - ceremonial and field ones.
#50080 by breanna78 Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:57 am
This so happened to me from a sgt George O rogers in kabul Afganistan..But I never knew anyone from the army so needless to say i was scammed out of 423.00 for a satellite connection that never happened..I wonder if this is th same man..?
#50124 by Bubbles Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 am
Scammers often use scripts that they buy or that have been given to them by their superiors in the gang they work for. Scamming is big business in some places of the world. If it were solely one or two people scamming, it would be easy to stop all scamming.

Posting their information is probably the best way to cause problems for them and to help others not to get caught in their trap.

#50854 by emkay Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:09 am
I was in contact with the exact same guy, Captain George Albert Wilson, in the US Army posted in Kabul wanting to ask for a leave for 8 - 12 weeks so we could be together. His letters are the same quotes as yours.I also received photos of him (gorgeous guy! and the same rugby photo which looks like it is form a recruitment poster.)
I found him on the dating site; Plenty of Fish. His email is: [email protected]

Here is some info he gave me:
ARMY EDUCATION CENTER
CAMP PHOENIX KABUL
APO AE 09320
letters shpuld be addressed to Captain Wilson George and my home address back home is

I have removed this address because it is a real location. ~BubblesOro Piedras Dr
Las Cruces,
New Mexico, 88011

Also, he sent me all his bank details asking for me to cover him by sending a wire for wireless internet access, which I never did.

Thank you for posting about him! I am no longer in contact with him and will contact the dating site Plenty of Fish to report him.
But my real question is, how do we report this to the military? Obviously the scam artist has taken the photos from somewhere and is posing as this man. IS there anything else that can be done to stop him?
#50856 by Bubbles Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:25 am
Welcome to ScamWarners emkay and thank you for posting this information for others to find. I am pleased that you did not fall for the scammer's story and send money to him.

Because scammers are anonymous and hide behind faked email addresses, there is not much that can be done to stop them. Posting their information up here is one of the best things you can do.

The military may inform the person whose image was used, but once a picture is on the internet regardless of the person's status or occupation, there is no way to pull that image back or control who lifts the picture or how they use it.

It is important to be careful what you post on the internet or share with others.

#59534 by zetaroseruby Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 am
Hi yes that was me that wrote about Staff Sgt John W Raymond but there was also someone else which i knew from facebook she contacted me on fb because while i was having issues with John by disbelieving him.
He was chatting with this other woman and asking her for money. But i think he was asking her for money too because the man had nothing, as when we met he was in Iraq and instead of getting proper leave he rushed out of iraq empty handed and tryed to fly here to me. He had no money as his money is a bank in the U.S as he had his money stolen while being in iraq and had his account on freeze so no one can get into it except for him. But what he should of done was went back to the united states first to get his account unfroze. But thats when he was held back from coming here in Abu Dhabi and they wouldn't let him go untill his he payed for his re newing of his rank. it had cause expired and couldn't travel untill his rank was re payed for. this i actually questioned to him which caused an argument and because hes such a stubborn man , he refused to speak to me, and went to get help from this other woman and had to befriend her in order to get some money from her so he could come here to me This i know for a fact because he told me eventually he was discussing our argumentsnwith this other woman, But the poor dear woman was falling inlove with him and he was only using her for money. to be able to come here to me..But this woman didn't pay him very much just a grand i think. And she doesnt hear from him any longer where as i hear from him daily.
So somehow i don't think he really is a scammer because i havent heard anyone else speak about him, and he is an amazingly handsome man too and if he was scamming alot i'm sure your site would be plaged with women talking about him as well as George wilson. which reminds me i thought i'd start up some dating sites just to see if i could see either John Raymond or George Wilson on them but no John Raymond but George yes i saw him on Militarycupid .com and he was still active and online at that moment, so i thought i'd try and set him up again however hes on an upgraded version and i did email him on there and said a smart remark about how i found him after all this time and i knew he was a scammer so i got an email back but it won't open unless i upgrade and i cant afford to upgrade on it, but i would love to of seen what he said in the email he sent me...
Last edited by zetaroseruby on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
#59567 by Dotti Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:04 am
Welcome zetaroseruby,

I am guessing you are in contact with someone calling himself John W Raymond now? If so, posting the first few emails you received from him can help us to get it sorted.

I'm not sure if you are the one who posted in the comments here? If not, you can see the name has come up in scams before.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-paid-leave.htm

I can tell you that almost 100% of the profiles ANYWHERE online that claim to be American soldiers overseas are scam profiles, so odds are extremely high that he is a scammer without even looking at anything else. If he has asked you to send him anything, or to apply for anything (phone, leave, etc.) then it is a certainty he is a scammer.

Some scammers use the same name and photos for several scams, while others change their aliases frequently. If you don't have a lot of responses from others who have dealt with him, it may simply be that he is one of the latter.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#88783 by feellikeafool Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:06 pm
Oh this sounds so familiar. The one who smoozed me was supposedly Captain Drew Thomas and his email address is [email protected]

If it comes across to you run....run away very fast....I don't know if it's the same guy doing all this, probably not but they all have the same script to go by for sure.

The generals email was [email protected]
#88929 by ratt84 Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:57 am
Raymond story continued
he claimed to have applied for US citizenship – still got his Italian passport
he claimed to be a geologist working in Turkey to find oil :laugh-s:
money was requested and sent by victim as he didn’t have enough to finish paying for his and his son’s hotel rooms
on November 29th father and son claimed to have an accident
victim was called from a cell phone in Turkey supposedly from the ‘American Hospital’ in Istanbul
he claimed that he and his son were badly hurt
he claimed to have been transferred to Anambra, Nigeria to the Loyola hospital - from December 5th until the 3rd week of January –
there is a Loyola University Medical Center close to Chicago, IL
and
a Loyola Jesuit College in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria
he claimed after his miraculous recovery he had to go back to Turkey to get his luggage and to provide the payment for his contract
2nd money request
beginning of February 2012 he needed even more money
he claimed he was being charged by the country of turkey for over staying his visa which was only a 2 week work visa
hereafter, he cancelled the first flight to the US
he claimed to have to pay for hotel and food and the overstay charge
3rd money request

ORBITZ travel details
Your current trip cost
Flight
Adults: 2 $928.00
Airfare taxes and fees $928.40
Service fee $21.98
Insurance
Trip Protection $94.08
Total due at booking $2,104.46
Traveler Information
John Raymond
Phone: 4129450325
Seat preference: Window
Ticket type: Electronic

Michael Raymond
Seat preference:
Any Seat
Ticket type: Electronic
Booker: John Raymond
E-mail: [email protected]
Trip Information
Flight Multiple Airlines
Leave Fri, Feb 3, 2012
Return Fri, Feb 10, 2012
Istanbul (IST) - Pittsburgh (PIT)
Pittsburgh (PIT) - Istanbul (IST)

he sent a different flight schedule
Trip Information
Flight
Delta Air Lines Mon, 20 Feb 2012
Istanbul (IST) > Pittsburgh (PIT)light

Leave Mon, 20 Feb 12:15
Istanbul , Turkey
Ataturk airport (IST)
Terminal I
17:00
New York, New > York , United States
John F Kennedy Intl
(JFK) Terminal 3
Change planes.
Layover: 15hr
55min
Delta Air Lines 73
Economy
Boeing 767
1hr 45min
Meal: Lunch
08:55
New York, New York , United States
John F Kennedy Intl (JFK) Terminal 3
11:15
Detroit, Michigan ,
United States
Detroit Wayne
County Airport
(DTW) Terminal EM
Flight 3353
Operated by PINNACLE DBA
DELTA CONNECTION
Change planes.
Layover: 6hr 13min
Delta Air Lines 3353
Economy
Canadair 900 hr 20min 17:28
Detroit, Michigan ,
United States
Detroit Wayne County Airport
(DTW) Terminal EM 18:42
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania , United States
Pittsburgh Int'l Apt. (PIT)
Flight 5739
Operated by
COMPASS DBA DELTA
CONNECTION Delta Air Lines 5739
Economy Embraer 175
hr 14min
This is an
overnight flight.
Adults: 2 £922.00
Taxes and fees £277.80
Total trip cost £1,199.80

last message victim got from the scammer

HAPPY VALENTINE MY LOVE
As days go by,my feelings get stronger by every seconds because You
bring me so much happiness and joy.babe I am thankful to you for
coming into my life and for making my world so beautiful.babe We are
far away from each other but very close to each other’s heart. day and
nights my thoughts are of you and after every time looking your cute
face,It gives my heart plenty pleasure.babe You are the only one that
I want to share my joys and sorrows with and I cant stop at nothing in
achieving that.Sweetie I love you so much and with my whole heart.
WISH U HAPPY VALENTINE DAY

Raymond's house in the US

Christian, Raymond's son

#88931 by ratt84 Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 am
the scammer claimed to call from his 'Pittsburg phone' and complained about why he's listed here

answer made easy
Hi xxx
Thank you for the email.i would love to know you more,but before we could go any further,hope you don't mind i would like to know on the dating site that i emailed you.i will look forward to talk and tell more about my self if i get a reply thank you.

Received: from [41.138.164.116]
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012

Uyo, Akwa Ibom, NG :laugh-s:
#324712 by Tottymo Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 pm
Met this guy on Facebook couple of weeks back, and he wants me to send cash for him to get a cell phone..... he claims to be base at camp Phoenix in Kabul yet will not give me his APO?..