Information on romance scams and scammers.
#362615 by Mustbecrazy Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:34 pm
First of all, I should have known it was a scam from the beginning but I was trying to be hopeful.

In November of 2017, I started talking to Davis Thompson through a dating app called Coffee Meets Bagel. He seemed totally nice and all things were fine. We then started talking on Facebook messager because that would 'easier' for him. He was deployed to Afghanistan at the moment. So it was harmless because all we were doing was talking. He would send me photos and all was good. Now he didn't start with asking for money, but was sweet and said he was working on getting leave. Then all of a sudden, it was that he needed money to get leave and I had to fill out forms. I needed to do this and that. Right then it should have been a red flag but I was trying to think positive and I wanted to believe that he was real.
Then Valentine's Day hit and he sent me flowers. The note was sweet and again I just wanted to believe he was real and he wasn't going to hurt me.

Now he is trying to go on leave (I have found through this site and multiple other sites that US military on deployment don't actually get leave). So I have tried to talk with him about it and all of it is not making sense. He had me fill out a form and then they came back and said it would cost $1150 dollars and he wanted to know how much I could do for it.. I told him at first nothing, and he said a 'friend' was going to help him out with some of it. The friend gave $500 and then he wanted to know what else I could give. I don't know what to do. Everything seems genuine expect for this needing money stuff.

He won't provide me with a mailing address (was going to send like cookies or something for his birthday), he won't give me his military email address only a gmail account. All the emails I have sent to someone has been to [email protected]. Which I have read is a free email address and a fake.

Should I call him out on his shit or what? I won't be sending the money, he just doesn't know that yet.

Thank you for any and all advice.
MustbeCrazy (to keep thinking so positive)
Advertisement

#362616 by Rany36 Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 pm
The same feeling here, he said if I can't pay not problem . Very nice, educated, we talk, have video call, Never asked for money, but....if we want to meet very soon I have to apply for emergency leave permit.Bingo! I checked all the information, pictures, even I thought he's a soldier who need money and that's it. I tell him we meet when he gets back home to holidays... But they are very good, know how to play with you, with your feelings,bottom line, you have to feel guilty .And that's the point. You are feeling guilty!!! I'm the same.
I'm sure is an american, when we talk he was very emotional, or have a good education and the same time he's feeling bad. I tell him that I know he don't have to pay for leave permit, that I know everything about this shit, but I repeat, they have experience, they know how to play. More information they get from you, better for them, can try to take advantage of you , send to your family or friends picture or conversation with you ...
Check all the information you have here , ask him where he live, you can check with Google Earth if is true what he said.But anyway, you know he's a scammer. I know the same.
Take care!