Information on romance scams and scammers.
#371463 by flyonzewall Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:34 am
Here's how it works.

Scammer develops a relationship with you from another country. They suddenly decide that you are their soul mate and arrange a ticket to fly over and see you. A few days before they travel, they suddenly find out from the airline that they must show a "Basic Travel Allowance" at checkin to be allowed to board the flight. Now of course they have just spent all their money buying that ticket so you need to wire them the money.

In my case, I live in the UK and the love of my life was a US Army veteran named Rose Williams who lived in the USA. As above, she "bought a ticket" and then sent me an email showing that the airline had notified her of this Basic Travel Allowance in the amount of US$950. But hey, don't worry, all I have to do is sent it to "her" and she will return it to me when we meet in London. Text from some emails:

Hello Dear,

Am Sgt.Rose,1st Battalion,
121st Infantry of Georgia's 48th Brigade Combat Team, presently and
currently stationed here at FOB Salerno Camp in Khowst Afghanistan as
part of the troops still remaining to complete the later part of the
war plan. My military education includes the United States Military
Academy (U.S.M.A) at West Point, New York (Class of 1989) Infantry
Officer Basic and Advanced courses, Armed Forces Staff College, and a
U.S. Army War College Senior Fellowship at the Hoover Institution,
Michigan University.

(note that "she" graduated from West Point but "her" rank is "Sgt. Rose".

I will book my flight tomorrow, so that i will be there on Monday, am not sure i will be thru with what am doing by tomorrow,but i will book my ticket, can you send me the name of your country, state, city so that i will use it for booking , i will get soon money by tomorrow, i know it will be expensive but i have to pay so that i can come around to know you more, take good care of your self.

Can i have the name of your state, city, the name of your airport and country, i will use it for booking of my ticket.

Next comes the pitch:

I got another mail from Royal dutch airline saying I have to come with BTA (basic Travelling allowance) before I can board. I forwarded you the mail already.

I don't know that something like that will occur and I don't have enough money right now so you will have to assist me on this part. The money will not be spent it's just for me to board so you can have it back once I arrived.

Never mind that the flight itinerary "she" sent to me was on Cathay Pacific, but the email about this BTA is from "Royal dutch airline" (e.g. KLM)

To which I replied and suggested "she" was getting scammed since there is no such thing as a BTA requirement to leave the USA.

Then:

She can not scam me, (BTA) Basic Travel Allowance is needed for sure, am coming with the money please and i will hand it over to you at the airport please help me.

I insisted again that there is not BTA, so "she" drops the money requirement:

Honey this is not a problem, I WILL NOT GIVE THEM THE MONEY, AM COMING WITH IT PLEASE, i can't be scammed, I was attacked last night, some guys collected my hand bag and my phone, but i will get new one soon, am coming with the money, i will give you the money at the airport please, am not sending it to them, i will only show them at the airport, that is also what my friend told me, she will drive me to the airport please.

Every thing is in good condition, we have been using the agent for a long time now, it works, just that the Basic Travel Allowance is needed and there is nothing any one can do about it, i got 400 now, looking forward to get like 550 or 500, can you help me?
Advertisement