Information on romance scams and scammers.
#49502 by jasomaha Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:47 pm
Hello...I am positive this is a scam because I contacted a recruitment office about it. However, I wanted to let it be known so that someone doesn't fall victim to it again. This person contacted me from a personals website and I have been talking with him for 3 months. We shared personal experiences and I was actually falling for this person thinking he was the one. The name used was Sgt. Michael Rios and the email was [email protected]. He requested that I send an email to [email protected] asking for leave for him. Military and government email address end in .mil or .gov not .com. I hope that others do not fall for his charm as I did. He even sent me pictures of a solider with the last name Rios on is fatigues.

The recruitment officer told me that the person must request leave themselves, not a family member or loved one. The only time a family member or loved one is able to request leave is when it an emergency and then it done through the Red Cross.

Jason
Advertisement

#49504 by Samantha Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:21 pm
Thanks for posting that, and I'm very glad you didn't fall for the scam. It is unfortunately a classic fake solider scam, and as you correctly noted it is impossible for an outsider to request leave for military personnel. @consultant.com is a free email address available through mail.com. They have a huge list of "professional" sounding domains but again, as you noted, no official government agency uses "consultant.com".

There is a lot more information about these types of scams to be found here.

Hopefully others will find their way here by Googling the addresses you listed and will be saved from falling for this scam.

Thanks again.
#78435 by mknucarman Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:31 pm
a similar one happened to me but became suspicious of a few things and then he asked for money for the "tax" on an airfair from London to Atlanta, the ticket was 538.00 and the tax 270 pounds $423.00 I knew then it was a scam he used Sgt David Rios [email protected],he emailed me the ticket confirmation, so i clicked on the link and Sgtmrios came up,on the email address, when confronted about it maybe a scam was involved with his email address, never heard from him again what a dirtbag, thanks,Mark
#78447 by Bubbles Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 am
Welcome to ScamWarners mknucarman. It is great you recognized the scam and didn't fall for it. Thank you for posting this information as it will help others too.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#82477 by Fab60 Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 am
Hello everyone, I was contacted by Sgt. David Rios In the U.S Army;e-mail [email protected] almost 2 weeks ago on a dating site. We wrote back and forth and he sent me several pictures in fatigues just as someone else reported, some of these pictures included a childhood picture (to support our conversation) and pictures with another military soldier ( a female soldier by the name of Kate Freeman) in fatigues with terrain background claiming he was in Afghanistan. He was charming and literally charmed his way into my heart, he was really good, but there were two many blanks, many things didn't come together when questioned, but he was smart and literally managed to change the subject with emotional conversation, then he said something that didn't make sense, I asked my nephew who is in the Army and he said what "David" is saying about transferring and vacation time could not possibly be true. In his last e-mail he was about to transfer to London UK. I decided to do some research and found this site and read what he was doing. (along with seeing the same e-mail address Mark and Jason posted on this site)I read a posting where he asked for money to help pay for air flight ticket taxes from London.Thats when I knew what I was dealing with Thanks guys for your posting, I sent him one final e-mail and cut to the chase, I busted him, never heard from him again, go figure. I reported him to the dating site moderator and his profile was removed. He is very charming and I was falling for it, so be warned. I decided to post this statement to support what the other guys have written.
#82529 by Justin Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 am
Hello Fab60!

Sorry to hear you were targeted by this scammer. I'm glad you got suspicious and glad the site helped. It's good too you asked your nephew as the most common method is for these scammers to request money for leave. It's also common for the scammers to ask for money to buy cell phones or sat phone uplinks. It's all lies and not how the real military works.

Thanks for posting your story it will help others avoid this scammer.

Justin

#106934 by SailorB Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:59 pm
I think this is a new one on the Sgt David Rios scam I received this it also cam with a official looking document I unfortunately was a previuos victim of David Rios scam:

ATTENTION:

The US Military Transit Department is now returning everyone's
money back to there respective owner been paid for the soldier man during
there transit..
Please respond to email fast in order to claim your money back spent
during Sgt David Rios Transit.
God Bless America.
Regards,

General George Casey.
Multi-National Corps
Public Affairs Office, Camp Victory
APO AE 09342
#106936 by Helen Halper Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, SailorB!
Yes, this is called a "recovery scam". Please read this link for more information:http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3198

#109857 by Angelheart1979 Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm
hello @ all,....

i am from Germany.. excuse my not really perfect english first of all...

i got in a contact trough facebook whith Ryan Thomas

25. März
Ryan Thomas

Hello ,just Trying to get your attention for a while because i dont have the opportunity to approach you in person and i hope you have some time we can chat and exchange thoughts!.I noticed your pic when searching & I mus confess your picture caught my eye and i was like hummmmmmm...Hope to read back from you. TTYL. xoxoxo

well i answerd him, we chat in yahoo. his name is there "ryanthomas7314" since 1 week we are talking about visit me in germany.. but THANK GOD i have REAL friends, they care for me... did not believe what i told them,...
well let me put the MAIL about "leaving the base in iraq"

My darlin angel sent from Heaven' I have the email alert from the our US Army Leave Unit department these Morning and the form you will have to fill out and affix your signature is attached to the mail i am forwarding to you from the US ARMY LEAVE UNIT DEPARTMENT here in Iraq. Please read carefully, print the form out and completely fill out the form, scan/snap the form after filling and get back to me with the filled form, I am so glad that we are on the right track and we are going to meet soon. I will check back Latter to see if we can chat. I love you sooo much and i can't wait to have you in my arms where you belong. Much love always

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:42 AM
Subject: OUR-REF-5655-SGT'S LEAVE REQUEST!!!

Attn Sgt. Ryan Thomas,

I hereby write to inform you that your Leave application is still under processing and will be completed as soon as the state of defense receives the document which your Fiancee have to fill.

The documents are enclosed in this e-mail. You will have to forward them to your Fiancee and she will need to print them out and affix her signature after filling all necessary details to enable us verify before approving your leave request.

Note that she would be responsible for all the financial charges which is meant for Tax on your Leave bonuses and your health Insurance. If the fees for the leave request is not
received, the leave application will not be approved by the United States of Defense.

I will be in charge of crediting the funds into the US Army Fed' Account since I am in Charge of your Case-file.

Ensure that she reads and understands the forms before signing them.

Good luck in your mission.

Regards,

LEAVE UNIT.
(there was also 2 Forms i was need to fill, but everything was look so "REAL")

THAN he second mail....
My HEART' the forwarded email is what i receive from the Leave Unit department today... Have missed you soo damn much and I cant wait to be home with you and do everything with you my darlin angel sent from heaven. I know it's just a matter of time before we be together. I am looking forward to that day with all my heart. I am preparing myself for you each day. No matter what, you are for me and I hope to grow old with you for the rest of my life because i am happy with you. To celebrate good times with you and support each other through the bad times. Marriage is a journey that we will grow together through. We will learn things about each other every day. We will not always have good times but we will always love each other and work through our problems. I promise you forever sweetheart. I have never been so in love with a woman the way I love you. I am so free when I am chatting with you. You let me be me and make me feel so special. I just cant wait to be home with you and do everything together, We will have fun watching football games with our kids, taking walks, and watching movies. I look forward to that day. I know God has something good in store for us. He is not an evil God but a loving God. And when we are in each other's arms, our love will be more amazing than what we have now...

Darlin; the amount charged for the Leave request is much and i am speechless right now, but we would talk about it when we chat latter because this is like obstacle and we must do something about it, we must not give up but go further and see what we can do to be together soon. You will affix your signature on the form and get back to me so i can return to the leave unit department for further processing, I will get back to you with the details to send the money when i have it from the Leave Unit... I wish i could send this payment myself but i dont have access to my account here until i return home so i will make up everything for you when we are together... Hope to chat Latter Much love always

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:36 AM
Subject: OUR-REF-5655-SGT'S LEAVE REQUEST!!!

Dear MY NAME

We received the copy of your Passport ID and Licence. We are Glad to inform you that Stg. Ryan Thomas just completed signing all the necessary documents for his Leave with us here. There is an attachment of the amount of money for the Leave Bonuses for Sgt. Ryan Thomas in this e-mail.

PROTOCOLS TO FOLLOW;

*You are to sign the attached document and send it back to us.

*The money for your Fiance's Leave Bonuses will be transfer to his Account in the United States immediately you pay all the necessary charges.

*The charges for this effect is $ 6,400.00 USD {Six thousand four hundred United States Dollars}.

*The charges are meant for the Military Tax on the bonuses and Health insurance.

*Sign the attached document and send it back to us.

Good-luck in your mission.

Regards,

LEAVE UNIT.

as is start to ask to talk about it.. told my friends, family about him,... THANK GOD REAL friends cares for me and open my eyes and found this Forum.... I GUESS HE IS A FAKE AND SAM..i will NOT send any money... thank god i am "only" heartbroken... but not more!!!

Have anybody heard about his name? or pic... if anybody can check him on Facebook.... Ryan Thomas... but what i dont understand.. HOW the do such thinks so professionell?? those pics.. i have some.. i just dont know how i put them inside here...

but thanks for your attention... hope to get some answers!!

God bless

regards

Angelheart
#109864 by Justin Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:40 pm
Hello Angelheart1979,

This is 100% a scam. Soldiers do not pay for leave. It's only a lie to try and steal your money. The @mail2army.com email address looks official but it is not. Real military email address end in .mil instead of .com.

I'm very sorry you were targeted by this scammer but glad you got suspicious before loosing any money. What you posted may help other victims avoid this scammer.

Justin

#109980 by Angelheart1979 Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:13 pm
Hello @ all

i just had today this chat with him.... anyway its "GAME OVER" with him and i will NOT send any money. but i wonder how he try to still keep on his lie.... i was just wondering and keep on smiling!! but honest... what kind of people are this, to do it soooo proffessionell?? the army knows about something likes this?? what they do against this??

anyway, please read this and it would be nice you give me a feedback.

thank you very much

CHAT:

angelheart1979: not fine
ryanthomas7314: What happened and why not fine babe
ryanthomas7314: are you there???
ryanthomas7314: How was your night
ryanthomas7314: <ding>
angelheart1979: well... i am confuse
angelheart1979: you are suppost to read your mails
ryanthomas7314: what is wrong and why are you confused...
ryanthomas7314: Ok let me check my email now
ryanthomas7314: did you send me some email..
angelheart1979: ok let me copy something inside here
ryanthomas7314: ok copy and paste me
ryanthomas7314: i am wondering what made you confuse babe

angelheart1979: I am from the US, and used to work extensively with a military organization.

1) US Army leave is not bought. There are no fees to be paid before leave will be granted. Military personnel are given a certain amount of leave time, just as your average worker is given a certain amount of vacation time. Additional emergency leaves are handled through official military channels, have very specific requirements, and do not require fees. (Incidentally, a boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee has no standing whatsoever with the military, and a visit to him/her would not qualify as an emergency leave anyway.)
2) An outside person does not apply for leave for someone in the US military. In other words, if I am serving in the US military (any branch), and I need leave for some reason, I would apply for leave

angelheart1979: is NEVER need to pay anything... the next is.. NEVER they use for email .COM... if it is REAL ARMY email ends with .MIL or .GOV
ryanthomas7314: babe who sent this to you
angelheart1979: a work-co
ryanthomas7314: this can not be real because my chief said they do pay for the emergency leave when you are deploy to iraq and afghanistan
ryanthomas7314: I am being hinest with you babe and i want you to know that all this is what i dont know because the message i read is not related to anything with military personnel
ryanthomas7314: <ding>
angelheart1979: daaaaaaaamn i dont know.... i read last night in a forum about so many things... and sooooo much is the same as with us... i dont know what do say... dont know what to do...
ryanthomas7314: Babe, you have nothing to worry about and i keep wondering why you are allowing some of your friends to put break between us
angelheart1979: i dont WANT to allow it... but i FEAR
ryanthomas7314: i just dont know what to tell you now because all this confused me and with what we have shared, i dont expect any one to come between us..
ryanthomas7314: Just so you know i love you with my everything
angelheart1979: why for example you hide your friends and birthday now onFacebook??? and Who is that woman you last put "abonement" for her???
ryanthomas7314: did you mean on facebook babe???
angelheart1979: sure facebook
ryanthomas7314: I haven't been online today... i must check my facebook account now
ryanthomas7314: why would i hide my friends from you babe
angelheart1979: i drive crazy,... dont know what is right and wrong
ryanthomas7314: i dont do that, maybe they have hacked me.... i must check now
angelheart1979: please.. i dont know...
ryanthomas7314: babe, to be honest with you, i cant access my facebook now... its telling me password changed..... someone might have access my account babe...
ryanthomas7314: when did you noticed the changes you told me about
ryanthomas7314: i must see to this now
angelheart1979: just now.. befor 10 minutes
angelheart1979: last night it was still there
ryanthomas7314: before 10minutes??? i am on it still...
ryanthomas7314: are you sure someone is not being all this thing happening to us at the time we wanted to meet..
angelheart1979: yes,.. not longer than 10 min.--i have sent you a very hash email... because i thought it PROOF of what i read about us army leaving
ryanthomas7314: Babe, i am just signing on and that is when we a=start chatting here
ryanthomas7314: i haven't been online since last night and all this thing is still giving me concern
ryanthomas7314: i am downcast now babe
angelheart1979: NOOO who shouldnt want to that... why somebody should do that... nobody wants to give problem to us,.. NOBODY from my side
angelheart1979: me too... downcast simce last night... did not sleep
ryanthomas7314: i am trying to retrief my facebook account back from those that might hack me
angelheart1979: well,...if you love me SO as you are always write to me... and if you are YOU... (shit that sounds crazy) what can you do to proof it to me???
angelheart1979: forget facebook... that is not my problem
ryanthomas7314: Babe, i want you to trust me and us and we shouldn't allow anything to seperate us now that we are almost together to start our forever
ryanthomas7314: Hmmm... how did you want me to prove this to you babe, Ok.. i will still beg my chief to allow me call you and i am going to prove those that email you wrong babe
ryanthomas7314: i love you and i cant do without you now because i am sooo damn addicted to you and nothing gonna changed my love and plans for you as i always assure you
angelheart1979: please... understand my side...
ryanthomas7314: I understand you my love and i am going to prove to you that you are the best in my life
ryanthomas7314: My God sent angel and my everything
ryanthomas7314: Babe, everything baout us is going to be alright because i believe in us
ryanthomas7314: I am going to plead with my chief to allow us to talk on phone soon
angelheart1979: well,... i dont know how to proof it.... even calls, sure i love to hear your voice and talk to you....
ryanthomas7314: Yes babe, we would talk more about this when we talk and i hope he gonna allow me to talk for long with you
angelheart1979: anyway... you have 3 emails... i was broken, angry, dissapointed, full of pain when i wrote them....
ryanthomas7314: I am going to check the email latter my babe
ryanthomas7314: i know how you feel babe but i want you to know that not every body want you for good
angelheart1979: please, understand that for now... will not send money ryanthomas7314: I want our relationship to be based on trust and i want us to remember all that we have shared... you mean the world to me and you are like God sent to me because i am happy with you
ryanthomas7314: Yes, I agree with you babe
ryanthomas7314: i am going to let you know that this is right...
ryanthomas7314: just have the money in your account... and when i prove to you by phone and we are final;ise everything... you can proceed to send the money and we are together... i still have the 1000 with me
angelheart1979:we will see...
ryanthomas7314: We have so much to give to ourselves babe, to spend forever together as long as we both shall live
angelheart1979: but you should know.. i will find out... well.. i dont know if only the call will prove it... but lets see
ryanthomas7314: I am alive with your love babe and i will never do anything to hurt you because you are the main reason for my joy and happiness
angelheart1979: thank you...
ryanthomas7314: Ok No problem babe but believe me, we are meant to be because i know it from the bottom of my heart
ryanthomas7314: Trying to not think of someone you're madly in love with is a pointless as trying to control who you fall in love with
ryanthomas7314: I LOVE LOVING YOU MY HEART
ryanthomas7314: What have you done to me? I can't escape this feeling of love...
angelheart1979: but there are sooo many fakes and scamers online ... and they use for example US army soldiers and do it the way WE ARE right now... you can not know if it right or wrong....
angelheart1979: if everything is right... you dont need to be worry
angelheart1979: than you should know what to do
ryanthomas7314: I know about the scams as well and that is why i said i am going to talk to my chief about this and i am gonna prove to you that i am real and i am soo in love with you
angelheart1979: ok,.. with the grace of god, i hope everything is real!!!!
ryanthomas7314: Yes, by his grace, everything will be alright soon and we going to meet soon
ryanthomas7314: i am not worry, i just dont want to lose you babe because you mean everything to me
ryanthomas7314: You bring laughs and smiles to my heart and face everyday
ryanthomas7314: I thank you for that sweetheart
ryanthomas7314: you are my pride and joy for I love loving you every second of the day and i cant afford to lose you babe
ryanthomas7314: all i need is you
ryanthomas7314: babe you have nothing to worry about, we would chat latter about this cause i must go now
ryanthomas7314: what are you doing today babe
angelheart1979: but i need to be VERY VERY sure
ryanthomas7314: dont let this downcast you but be optimistic babe... I love you and i am real
ryanthomas7314: I wont say much but i am gonna prove to you because we are meant to be, you are always in my dreams babe and i long for your touch sooo much
angelheart1979: i did not plan something special.... i will be at home.. ryanthomas7314: i want us together soon and we can make sweet love and have fun all night
ryanthomas7314: I will be back to chat latter babe
angelheart1979: ok,..IF everything is right... dont worry.. we will be together and nothing gonna change our plans..
ryanthomas7314: I will see if i will have chance to check my email in the evening sothat i can raed your email...
ryanthomas7314: Thanks for your understanding and for being strong for me and us
ryanthomas7314: I love you more and more
ryanthomas7314: I must go now... chat Latter
ryanthomas7314: Bye for now
angelheart1979: you will be angry with me after you read my emails from last night and this moring....
angelheart1979: ok,.. when you will be back
ryanthomas7314: I will be angry but will understand because you already let me know the content, i just want to read it and if not i can just open and delete the emails
ryanthomas7314: I will try to be here early babe... but if not i will be here around 9pm
ryanthomas7314: i must go
ryanthomas7314: bye for now
ryanthomas7314: kisses and hugs
angelheart1979: ok bye for now.. god bless you

THATS the chat from this morning... please, what do you think about it????

i can post it also official... my others can give some statements

Regards
#110045 by vonpaso xlura Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:40 pm
It would have been better to simply cut off all contact without giving a reason. When you tell the scammer what is wrong with his email address, his request for leave, or whatever, you're educating the scammer. That makes him a better scammer.

Scammers are sociopaths, pathological liars, and the like. They do not react to the truth as normal people do. There is no sense in telling them what's wrong with their scam script.

The so-called "Ryan Thomas" is not in love with you. He is pretending in order to extract money. If he calls, hang up; if he emails, delete.

Please also see the recent post in the news section about the Vasseurs being charged. They forwarded money to scammers who represented themselves falsely as military men.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#110066 by Angelheart1979 Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:44 am
thank you for your posting!

i delete already everything and ignore the mails... and you are right, is not need to tell them more about them "mistakes" whats going on... thank you for your advice.

Rergads

Angelheart