Information on romance scams and scammers.
#384602 by Cherrypotion27 Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 pm
I have a question about romance scams: where do the scammers get the e-mails and info about the people they try to scam? I ask this as I don't go on adult or dating sites, yet every day I get e-mails of the "I'm a woman looking for a man" or "I'm a woman looking for a sex partner" variety. And what's laughable about these scammers is that they clearly have not done their homework about me or read my e-mail profile, because I am a woman, not a man, and all of the info about me online clearly states so. I don't know whether they are just assuming that the "cherrycharm" part of my e-mail is some slang sexual reference to a hymen and assuming that I'm a man from there, but I'm not a man. I'm a 40-something woman. So, what's going on here that they have the totally wrong info about me, and where are they even getting my e-mail from in the first place?
Advertisement

#384605 by AlanJones Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:17 pm
What you are talking about is most likely not romance scam emails, but spam trying to get you to register for dodgy dating and cam sites.

They won't have a clue about you or consider the possible meaning of your email address, they just spam as many people as possible in the hope of getting some to click on their links, etc.

As to where they get your email from, email addresses are freely traded, the minute you use it to sign up to a site it is potentially available to be sold on or compromised in a data breach.

Locking this as spammers are outside the scope of what this forum deals with.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.