Information on romance scams and scammers.
#54103 by mamak Tue May 24, 2011 7:13 pm
Hello there,

I have recently starting talking to a gentleman who claims he is in Afghanistan currently and has been there for 2 1/2 years. I have been talking to him thru yahoo messenger and thru yahoo emails and he is interested in coming to Canada for a visit but since he still has approx. 11mths left of his deployment, he is not eligible for a leave unless paid for. He advised the forms will be $1400, leave payment $4500 and clearance paper $1000 USD and gave me a name and city in Australia to western union the funds too. He said that once the funds have been received then the process can continue. He has given me the base he is currently at and which base he is affiliated with. i have not sent any money as i am a little apprehensive of sending such funds not knowing if this is a scam or not. The email address given is [email protected] and i can get the info that was sent to me as to who i am to send the funds to in Australia. I have also been sent pictures of him and talked to a "friend" of his on facebook as well. He has also called me but the call kept getting dropped and it was difficult to hear at times so i was a little apprehensive then as well. Of course i would like to be able to trust him but of course, with never actually meeting or not being able to see him on web cam or anything as he said the security will not allow that to happen there. Please help me???

Thank you,
Advertisement

#54104 by Justin Tue May 24, 2011 8:20 pm
Hello mamak and welcome to Scamwarners!

I'm afraid your suspicions that brought you here are correct. He is trying to scam you. You can read more about this scam here http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6527

Very sad that scammers would impersonate military personal and try and start a relationship but it is very common. Nothing he has told you has been true he is only trying to steal your money. I'm very sorry to hear you were involved in this but very glad you found the site before you sent money got further involved with him.

Please stop communicating with him. He will go away after being ignored.

Justin

#54105 by Dotti Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 pm
As Justin said, it is a scammer.

A few key points:

-Civilians cannot request leave for soldiers.
-Soldiers do not pay for leave. If soldiers are not eligible for leave, they can't buy it, either.
-The US Army does not conduct business by Western Union.
-All soldiers are given an official army address that ends in .mil . Scammers don't have access to those addresses, so of course they use other email addresses.
-If he is in a secure place that won't allow him to ever turn on webcam, he most likely wouldn't be on yahoo chat either.

If you can post some of the emails he sent you, that will likely help other potential targets, as chances are he is using those same scripts to scam other women.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#54113 by mamak Tue May 24, 2011 9:35 pm
Thank you so much for the information. I have serveral emails and pictures that i am unsure of how to post. If you can offer some assistance that would be great. Can you please tell me how you are sure that this is a scam? Did you do a search on his email address?

Thank you so much and I always follow my intuition!!
#54114 by Dotti Tue May 24, 2011 9:49 pm
mamak,

See the points in my post above. I didn't have to google any email addresses, because I already know for certain it is a scam--what he is claiming is false--it is not how the US military works.

For example, he is telling you he can get leave if it is paid for. This is not true, it is a total lie. A real soldier would know that.
He is telling you to send money, supposedly to the US military (in Australia!), by Western Union. The US military does not use western union. Another clear cut lie. In truth, the money is coming to him, minus whatever he pays to any accomplices.

Those two things alone tell me he is a scammer, no doubt.

Once I see his writing, it will most likely tell me he is African.

To post his emails, just copy and paste them into a topic here (remove your name if he used it, but looking back, you will probably see quite a few nicknames, but your real name will rarely be mentioned.) If you can, post at least one full header.

To post photos, look in my signature line.

#54115 by mamak Tue May 24, 2011 9:57 pm
Hey my Beautiful ,
I just wanted to do something simple.... to
say I love you and to put that smile of loving you so much, back
on your face. I want everyone to know how much you mean
to me. Ever since you stepped into my life,
I've been flying on Cloud 9 and I have not come down yet.
I tell you this everytime we chat, but you are the most beautiful
person I know cos you are mine, inside and out and I see that more clearly
with each passing day. I love everything about you,
about us.
You have made me so happy, the happiest I've ever been.
You give me the most amazing feelings inside,
the feeling of being in love with you.
I still don't know what I did to be so lucky to have
you in my life, my dream come true...
I am so thankful though. In this short time that we've
been together, we have grown a lil and can grow so much more and I can't wait
to

see what the future holds for us. I love you
with all my heart and soul, always and forever!
How you have a nice night my dear. Talk to you soon babe. kisses and hugs.
Edward

Above is one of many emails and i completely had a terrible feeling in my gut especially when he asked for money so i quickly went on and searched things out. I tried to search the base Fort Campbell that he said he was with and everything. There were many things that were not settling well with me for instance being on yahoo chat but no webcam. My only fear now is that he knows enough about me and could we be in any danger at all? Or with stopping contact maybe he will go away. I also knew once he asked me about any investments that i had that was weird and of course i said nothing at all. He does not know my exact location or anything unless he somehow searched it. He has been sent pics of me and seen me on webcam and knows my name etc.
#54116 by Justin Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 pm
Just googling the first sentance of your first email I found the exact email on another anti-scam website http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3535
Scammers are very uncreative and reuse each others emails. Google is your freind and sometimes just searching an odd phrase will help.

As far as being in any danger scammers want your money not to harm you. If you ignore him he will go away.

#54119 by mamak Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 pm
Thank you so much!!! Thank you for confirming what my gut was already telling me. It would be great if he were to be found and charged for trying or possibly even succeeding in scamming. People like that deserve jail time for sure.

Keep up the great work! and if there is anything else i can do to warn others, let me know. I have all the yahoo chat messages and emails and pics that were sent to me too.
#54120 by Justin Tue May 24, 2011 11:05 pm
Posting additional emails and photos would be great. Just like I searched for the email you were sent others may do the same and find this thread.

#54215 by mamak Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 pm
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:00 AM
To:
Cc:
Subject: GOOD MORNING MY SWEETNESS

Good morning my precious ____, hope you had a nice night babe. I've been missing you loads and cant wait to talk to you . I have just a single shift today and hope once am done i can talk to you some more babe. Really i really something in you yesterday which i wont fail to stress here for you. _____ do you ever know how you make me feel since we've !!! or how you still make me feel and would make me feel forever with you.!!!. ____ listen we are both matured minds and can always read between lines without a tutor. Babe i want you to know that the favor you want to do for me is basically for me and from the core of your heart,taking the sole risk is very hard i know but with all my assurance,that of my friends and everything i have ever made you since we've met,i believe you understand and feel by know that what i feel for you is very real and nothing less my ____.I got so worried with some of your sentences yesterday _____ which i which ti bluntly point your attention and and make corrections where needed.

_____,i want you to know that all our convo since we've met were all saved by me except some few short ones and its all for history and something to look back to,and smile about later in life and really got me very surprised when you initially told me that Eddie this fund we def going to source it through the bank loan and i will have to pay back and clear off once am back from here and have access to my funds...later i asked that what would you need me to do for you in regards the loans maybe some signings or anything,you said nothing that you will handle that.

Later honey!, i asked when can we have access to the loan and the interest rate there,you said sweetie i already have access to it and only the payment details is needed all this i can copy and send to you and you told me the interest rate is approx. 10% which i never said i was not going to pay back babe with all assurance i said without mixing words. I asked where is the nearest PO to you and you said its very close by and you can have the western union done there. So surprisingly i was amazed to hear that it goes through the bank again and that the bank will have to carry out their investigation and all that ...listen what investigation can the bank do? about what! its so weird babe remember you are doing this for me and all because you love and want me not because its compulsory or made mandatory babe its a choice and tomorrow you may decide yo cant do it if you don't feel too convenient and i will accept my cross. Of i have parents and relatives to fall on for this babe i wont have bothered you this you should know and since i met you i take you as everything and you as well promised and obliged to be everything i ever needed which i always appreciate in and about you. I know all you said yesterday about the manager been away all about you still been apprehensive some more cos i once took a loan back in the states and as a credible customer,no bank will question your need and urgent demand for a loan listen my bunny bear, no bank will ever grant you a loan for assisting someone you met online and have not met in person yet and want to send him such huge cash as help to fasten is transit...no bank ever worst you get is or are more killing advises whereas they cant feel what we feels or experience the happiness and joy we both shares over time since we met.

I want you to know that you can only get that by giving the bank better reason for a loan and with the self trust and confidence that i wont betray you trust and faith in me simple. remember i love my privacy and so much respect it this i wish you also abide with in this promising relationship my dear. Nothing in life can make me bail on you or disappoint this trust you have for and in me. The military as not forced me to talk a leave babe please note that! and if i were to be dued for one i wont have to pay a dine for it. It is always hammered that the secrecy of all military transactions should be upheld at all times and don't want to be sanction if you so snoop round cos they have not forced anyone to do this. Its a self desire and if both of us cant trust ourselves to make it happen,it be better i lay low that have me sanctioned here i hope you understand this line. Our delays are tight and not always for public consumption and have been part of this for 11years and above now so i should know perfectly well what am doing. Sexy baby doll,my heart wants you,my soul,body and mind so does and only what we need is the sacred 5 letter word called TRUST and if its absent then nothing can be achieved. Little or no one will give you a chance or encourage you about this action you intend taking babe but what can make you do this is simply the TRUST and CONFIDENCE in me. Think about it and take a determined step and soon we can all smile as a family erase the doubts and we can over come the doubts,give a test and we can then be proven wrong or right. The life we live is a big risk take the risk and someday you will be happy you did. I which i can write on and on and make you feel safe in doing this but i just have to stop saying this babe as a word is enough for a willing mind,and no amount or words is enough for a very unsettled and unwillingly mind my sweetie...read over and think twice and be bold to take a step......

it was definitely dark
i know this is gonna sound weird
but when i met you i wasn't afraid of you i was afraid of love but then again i didn't even know true love until you showed me a lil of what you've got and i love you more for that now more than ever cos i can give everything i hold inside and never hold back any emotions

______ you've brought emotions i didn't even know i could feel for n e one and you should be honored for allowing me to feel so comfortable in opening up

Because of you my world is now whole,Because of you love lives in my soul.Because of youI have laughter in my eyes,Because of you I am no longer afraid of good-byes.You are my pillar my stone of strength, and i hope you wont make me a laughing stock before my friends cos i have been so proud of you and expressed to them what you intend doing for me... Be with me through all seasons and great times of length. My love for you is pure boundless through space and time,it grows stronger everyday with the knowledge that you'll always be mine. saying i do

Is more than saying I love you
It goes beyond describing how my love is true
Because words are not enough to express my love for you.

Saying I do
Is like saying I am here for you
That I am ready to see what the future may bring
Because we are together in everything.

Saying I do
Is saying I am now complete because of you
That the pieces of the puzzle called "my life"
Becomes a beautiful picture called "our love". I love you more __________
i spoke to a friend about what your feelings are one very close and awesome friend just it skipped my mind to always express his regards and he feels so bad that you can feel the depth of my readiness to be with you _____ and demanded i allow him have a chat...very matured a guy and i obliged but at least dropping a line to notify you so if you ever see that its my friend here and his name is Donovan Jackson ok! I will soon be leaving for my duties babe and be back much later...as i hope you heart finally get settled and ready to make this work...

Stay cool love and have a nice day at work as i hope my ______ had a nice night too. No mail or message from you so amazing....!
Edward-cares!.
#54231 by mamak Wed May 25, 2011 4:19 pm
This is the information that was given to me by this guy aparently in the US Army regarding where to Western Union the money too.

Name: Kristy Ingram
City: Naranderra
Zipcode: NSW2700
Australia

Not sure if this information will be helpful to others but I thought if I can alert in any way possible, I will. I will also attempt at posting photos of this "scammer" and other emails as well.

Thank you
#54238 by Dotti Wed May 25, 2011 5:33 pm
The writing tells me that the scammer in contact with you is African, no major surprise there. Of course he was telling you to lie about the reason for the money because someone would tell you that you were being scammed.

The scammer has absolutely no connection to the US military. These scammers just pretend to be in the military because they have learned it helps them to get money. The person he told you to send money to has no connection either. She is either another victim or an accomplice, but more likely a victim. It is very likely she is another victim of the same scammer--either another romance victim who thinks she is helping her boyfriend to get his money, or someone who fell for a job scam and believe she is collecting payments for a legitimate company. Either way, her role is simply to collect the money and then forward to the scammer.

#54499 by collie Sat May 28, 2011 4:37 am
This reads as the same George Massingale that scammed me out of $8000AUD, even down to the words he uses in his emails.
I live in Australia these "pigs" to put it politely are just the scum of the earth and prey upon us when we are vulnerable.

The above person has managed to find me on Facebook under my alias that he would not know any details of and even sent me an "add as a friend" link.

Speaking with the Police here I was advised to "add as a friend" so that he will leave a "trace" that they can then track and hopefully prosecute( and maybe I just might see some of my money again)

These"people" are a waste of oxygen and don't deserve to take up space here on Earth!
#54538 by Bubbles Sat May 28, 2011 9:53 pm
mamak wrote:Hey my Beautiful ,
I just wanted to do something simple.... to
say I love you and to put that smile of loving you so much, back
on your face. I want everyone to know how much you mean
to me. Ever since you stepped into my life,
I've been flying on Cloud 9 and I have not come down yet.
I tell you this everytime we chat, but you are the most beautiful
person I know cos you are mine, inside and out and I see that more clearly
with each passing day. I love everything about you,
about us.
You have made me so happy, the happiest I've ever been.
You give me the most amazing feelings inside,
the feeling of being in love with you.
I still don't know what I did to be so lucky to have
you in my life, my dream come true...
I am so thankful though. In this short time that we've
been together, we have grown a lil and can grow so much more and I can't wait
to

see what the future holds for us. I love you
with all my heart and soul, always and forever!

mamakThis is an exact line for line quote from here: http://www.poemslovers.com/love_letters ... s/309.html Except the letter is written to Jennifer.

The best thing to do is to stop communicating with scammers. They do not refund money. The do not refund heart aches. The do not refund lost time and energy. They want only money from you. They are sending out these same emails to many many women at a time.

Collie, I am sorry you were scammed. You will not get any truth from the person who scammed you. He is a liar and will only tell you lies and try to get you to send money to him. The police were wrong to tell you to add him on Facebook. Sadly, your money is gone, never to be seen again. Please help us warn others about scammers. They do not refund money they steal, they spend it and ask for more.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#54540 by mamak Sat May 28, 2011 10:28 pm
Thank you again and i have stopped contact with him right away. I knew something didnt feel right and i always follow my instinct. Now all i need for him to do, is stop calling my place. I just dont answer or if i do i continue to hang up. I have asked for him to stop calling which he did for a couple of days but then called 3 times last night cause i would not speak. Any suggestions to get him to stop calling??