Information on romance scams and scammers.
#54858 by ellee Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:45 am
I have been chatting to a scammer who uses the name and photographs of SGT SEAN MARTEL on the FRIENDS REUNITED dating site who told me he was serving in Iraq.
After a couple of weeks I was getting pressured to set up a secure telephone service so he could ‘hear my voice and tell me how he feels’. I was given an e mail address to contact with his details, and when I received a reply I was told it would cost £227. I found this difficult to believe as I was certain that soldiers of all nationalities are well looked after by their employers with morale calls etc., so I started putting the pieces together. Bad grammar (I put it down to being in a rush) Strange terminology. Never answering direct questions about himself and always being vague. Constantly steering the conversation back to commitment and how he felt about me. Not understanding references to places or names. Not getting jokes about common things. And if I did ask a penetrating question he always had an excuse to disappear off line for a moment – for the rest room, or for his superior officer asking him a question – then he would come back on line and respond to the question (after checking it out on the internet I guess).
Anyway, I started doing some research and found forums like this one with lots of US Army soldier’s names and pics seemingly doing the rounds, and I thank God that I didn’t pay out any money or get sucked in further. Thank you for sharing your stories. Needless to say this ‘person’ is now deleted and blocked!
I have not come across this particular name (Sgt Sean Martel) anywhere, so thought I'd let you ladies know to beware if you come across it. I have also not seen the ‘telephone’ company. I was asked to contact ‘[email protected]’ and received a reply relating to ARMTEL so there’s another one to add to the list
I'm disgusted that these wicked people can use our brave and honest soldier's identities to snare unsuspecting women, and wondered how they do it. Thanks to sites like this I am a little wiser. Obviously I thought about trying to locate this guy to tell him what was happening but I don’t think it would have been the right thing to do (he’s way too gorgeous not to have a wife and family and why cause them upset?) so after more researching I e mailed [email protected] and left an incident report – not sure if that was the right thing to do but felt I had to alert the authorities in some way. I got the e mail addy from http://www.cid.army.mil. Just hoping this helps someone else…….
Advertisement