Information on romance scams and scammers.
#425683 by TheRoseGirl Wed May 26, 2021 11:58 pm
Hi! I am new here and don't really know what I'm doing. I caught a Catfisher and am wondering how I can get the information to someone who can add it to the results database.
Advertisement

#425687 by AlanJones Thu May 27, 2021 1:04 am
You can post all the details you have of the scammer here.

Please include the fake name he is using, his email address, telephone number if applicable and any other email addresses/websites that he referred you to.

Please also post emails that clearly show he is a scammer (i.e. requests for money or requests for you to receive goods/money on his behalf). if you post any photos, please watermark them with "Used by scammer" or "Fake" so that they cannot be re-used.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#425688 by TheRoseGirl Thu May 27, 2021 10:31 am
"Martin Wallace" found me on MeWe. He claims to be a widower who lost his wife and son in a car/truck accident five years ago and has a daughter named Amanda who is in Medical School in London. His profile shows that he is a graduate of MIT, lives in Boston, is an international structural engineer, and works for a company called "Unique Eco Water Engineering." The email he uses for Hangout is [email protected]. Once he got to know me on MeWe, he encouraged me to move our conversation to Hangout since that is what he uses for his job and his time on MeWe is limited. He said we could communicate more easily on Hangout. He uses theological and scriptural posts to elicit trust. He even talks about scripture as if he knows what he is talking about. He is very good at making himself believable. He passed all of the catfishing tests except for his location. He claims to be on a big project in Dubai and will return home at the end of next month. As soon as he asked for photos, I insisted on him sending photos first. All of these photos I did a reverse search on and two of them popped up as belonging to a model named Tom Dean Ernsting. I found five out of seven of the photos on the instagram account for Tom Dean Ernsting. I am uploading all seven photos of "Martin Wallace" here. I did a search on his name, city/state, email, and photos. This "Martin Wallace" does not exist. The email, for which ai did a reverse search, does not exist and the photos he sent me are of Ernsting. When I sent him screenshots of the photos I found on Instagram, he spoke to me in German. I don't speak German, but I translated what he said online and replied to him in German. He asked me how I am and I said I am fine thank you. When I asked him who he really is, he said he is busy at work and will get back to me later. I don't know if I will ever hear from him again. I was surprised he responded when I asked him who he really is. I don't know what his game is. Maybe he just does it for kicks, a form of entertainment and euphoria of having control. Maybe he wants my photos to set up fake accounts to scam men. I don't know, but I do know everything about "Martin Wallace" is fake.

Hmm... I cannot upload the photos. button is not working for me.
#425689 by AlanJones Thu May 27, 2021 1:56 pm
The scenario that he gives (widowed, child in another country, working overseas as an engineer) and the act of quickly moving you from the site you connected on to hangouts are indicative of a romance scammer, most likely from West Africa. And his motive and only interest is in stealing your money. The best thing that you can do is to totally block him and don't respond to any further contact. don't accuse him of being a scammer or alert him to his details being posted here, he will just try to deny it and you will put his other victims at risk as he will quickly change his fake details.

You can find details of how to post photos here - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219. They need to be uploaded to a photo hosting site, which will provide you with a link to them that you can post here.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.