Information on romance scams and scammers.
#64544 by anita42 Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:05 am
I would suggest both block him and remove him from your yahoo chat contact list. He can still contact you on there if you drop him and don't block him and there are ways he can still see you even if you are invisible and you are not on his contact list.
Advertisement

#64625 by anita42 Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 pm
In case you haven't figured out how to do this, when you are on yahoo messenger, click on "yahoo messanger" on the top of your computer screen, click on "preferences", then click on "ignore list" and enter his yahoo ID. That will stop him from contacting you. I have a Mac, so maybe it's a bit different with a PC.
#64686 by Charlie77 Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:21 am
To Devastated,
I was romance scammed a month ago. I lost approx. AUD2500. Everyone knows that the monies we can forget. But the feelings that you built with this person has grown over time. I became suspicious to the second request of remittance of money because he wanted to purchase the flight ticket to go down under. I told him he was an experienced business man who travelled around the world often; but having trouble to buy a plane ticket (??). He was humiliated (he wrote) that I made that statement. I did not budge to his second request no matter how he sweet-talked me around it. I went to FaceBook to find his name and I found him. Of course the person in FB was not the scammer. The scammer used his photoes (his house, his cat, his car etc). They were so convincing.
As soon as I knew the real person, I went to chat with him to reconfirm his bio and compare with the real person's bio in FB. I knew then I was chatting with a scammer. I told him that I knew what he was doing and he went offline. Since then I always google any email given by my matches in the dating site. And I found this site because, (very funny) ...another scammer contacted me and using the same picture (I feel sorry for that person in the FB) and used the name Mike Rickson. I googled his name and I found this site.

This site has been very supportive and educative for women like us. We are vulnerable and we want to seriously having a long lasting relationship.
I hope by sharing this with you, you will feel that you are not alone. It's just we do not know how to eliminate these scammers from the dating sites

Charlie 77
#64804 by Bubbles Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:02 am
Thank you for telling more of your story Charlie77. I am pleased to hear that you are healing from this experience.

Sadly getting all scammers off of all dating sites is only a dream. Scammers and cons come in all shapes and colors and from every part of the world. We are doing what we can by exposing and warning and supporting victims.

There are many thousands of scammers and they hide behind all kinds of masks. We try to expose the masks so people know what they are looking at.

We are glad you are here and able to help other victims! :D

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#64919 by Capinpin Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:58 pm
Take courage Devastated. I've been added to the hundreds, if not thousands that was duped. The emotional toll was as painful as the financial loss, but learned a big lesson about online relationships, especially a long distance one. The scam will end when YOU end it.
Remember they are very skilled at what to say and hold you hostage in an emotional level. Safeguard your life and dignity. If you're religious, pray for strength to forgive and let go. It also helps to get counseling because you must grieve the loss and guilt. All the best and enjoy the rest of your life to be ready for a good man that you deserve. Anyone, and I mean Anyone will be scammed at least once in their life. The internet just makes it a lot easier. Take good care and blessings too! The scam will end when YOU end it.