Information on romance scams and scammers.
#1094 by beth Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 pm
I was scammed by a guy named LARRY BROWN. He was in Africa to close contacts with an orpange he was affilated with and was bringing his son home who was living there. I also within the same time period got emails and instant messages from 2 others but this Larry was very (almost) good. He did get a small amount of money from me but if he is caught and arrested it will be money well spent.
I was shocked when I was notified from this site but the thing that puzzles me is that I supposedly had answered back saying I knew that he was a scammer, and I hadnt.
Who else has been taken in by Larry? how about a guy named Mark Mcrussell or Travani Martins?
Advertisement

#1095 by Ed Williams Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:11 pm
Sorry you got scammed by this guy beth, unfortunately the chances of him being caught and imprisoned are very low. These guys, as you found out, can be very clever and convincing and the names that you posted will not be their real ones. Indeed they will probably have a large number of fake names they use.
He was also, probably not affiliated with an orphanage in any way, this was just a ruse to gain your trust.
It's good that you realised that this was a scam before you lost any more and that you now know what to look for when receiving dubious emails.

The name Larry Brown shows up here, although it is a very common name,
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Nigerian/names_B.htm

and I'm guessing that if you google the email addresses from these people then there may very well be links to other scams regarding them.

I think I should add that you should drop all contact with these guys (if you haven't already done so) and just totally ignore them.