Information on romance scams and scammers.
#146832 by jolly_roger Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 am
Thankyou for the input privone. Yes the obvious mistakes are a give away. Western union, mg and the like are legitimate companies but tricksters have learnt to exploit them to the max. And no, everyone is not a scam artist. But one needs to certainly be vigilant and sought the wheat from the chaff in regards to so called internet dating. Careful being the optimal word to online activities.
However if you find any scam proof, feel free to post any details such as the name the trickster uses, any money requests asked for, maybe phone number etcetera etcetera. You'll be happy to know you're not the only one in the boat this so called internet dating has failed!
Advertisement

#146938 by Green35 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:35 pm
Thankyou Privone 201 - When I read your snippet it was like hearing from my scammer.Here are some snippets of the conversation with my scammer!

"Sometimes I do come late...but I will crave a time for both of us if your will love that. So how was your day today? ...I am from San Antonio Tx. I have only 1 daughter and her name is Tessy; she studies in Italy and she is 17 yrs. old

Are you close?

Close to where?

Am from the united state...

to her i.e. good relationship

No she school in Italy.......you sound like a nice woman but with time we will get to know each other more better. I'm an IDC 'Independent Drilling Contractor' I am Chris Murray
.....Am asking if you can be trusted by me.......meaning not to toure with my emotions and my heart...If my love for you were water it would be as vast as an ocean...Forever is not a word, rather a place where 2 lovers go when true love takes them there...When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground. Take every chance you dare, I'll still be there when you come back down.

He gave his mobile no. as +13152267269 and his email as [email protected]

I do hope others will read this site and be pre-warned before they get involved emotionally and financially.

Thankyou for listening.
#147671 by Virginiatime Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:31 pm
I'm responding to the person who represents himself as an attorney. Why hasn't he posted his name and lawfirm? For all anyone knows he might be from the Christian Mingle website or one of the many imposters people are talkimg about. Frankly, I for one am glad a persons name was given. That may have been the sole reason that scammer used it. As a Christian, I wish this dating site was investigated. Their commercial states that there is no :evil: fee. It's free. Are they reporting their earnings? I had been thinking somewhat about this site but my first inclination is to always do background digging before moving forward with anything. I put much stock in the old adage, "If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is". Always look before you leap!
#147685 by Dotti Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 pm
Virginia,

The poster you are referring to has long since been banned from this forum, as I indicated in my final response to him.

While it was certainly a strong possibility, in this particular case we couldn't say for certain whether he was the scammer listed in this thread; but he certainly had no legal basis for his complaints, and no understanding of the laws applicable to this board, which definitely leads to doubts as to whether he was a lawyer in any country. He was African (which he openly acknowledged) and had no connections to the dating site.

We will continue to follow our policy of listing the names used, as those names are very important for warning.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#147771 by trumpetess83 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am
I've been reading these posts and say offer some help with identifying Nigerian scammers....they use words like "stuffs" to say their daughter sent her "stuffs" to me via a "diplomat" with regards to sending something to an army base in Kabul, Afghanistan.......
First warning sign....anything to do with someone being in Africa do not pursue the conversation, even if they say they have work or a contract there......they are full of lies.....I've been there....also.....NEVER believe if they say they were travelling and someone robbed them....another good one they use.....
When these guys ask questions, they are usually asking in some odd way such as "What time do you 'close' from work?" That is how Africans refer to what American's would ask, "what time to do you get out of work?" little words that pop out at you as "odd" take as red flags because they are.....also....ask questions of them....this Sgt. Edwards guy says he was stationed in Fargo, ND at the army base there....hahahaha.....there IS no army base in Fargo, ND....only airforce bases.......what fools they really are....
Lastly, no matter how pathetic the situation seems, stay strong and never send anything to them....another Desmond Williams scammer told me he was robbed and beaten up in Nigeria and lost a lot of blood and needed money to get out of the hospital....I offered to send some of my ficticious friends to help him out there and he became so upset that I would do that...he just wanted money...another red flag.....he also blew it when he told me he had $5,000 stolen from him in the robbery but he didn't allow them to take his cell phone... however...he wasn't communicating through that means, he said he "borrowed the doctor's Ipad to contact me because there was no other family member in his life."
These guys are good at what they do....wow....be careful...can't even trust the christian mingle sites....very sad ...
I wish you all the best in discerning these scammers....sometimes it's just hard to know.....
#147774 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19 pm
We don't usually point out specific linguistic mistakes trumpetess83 as scammers will use these forums to improve and correct their scripts. The one thing they will study is how to make their scams more effective and the more mistakes we let them make the easier it is for us to give an accurate and correct evaluation of any contact or offer.

It's amazing how many errors can be made in the simplest message, and even UK and American terms, spellings and habits differ to an extent that it's possible to detect whether a person is really who they claim to be and whether they evidence the level of education you'd expect. It's a lot more difficult than the average scammer is prepared to make the effort to cover, and often rely on the victim accepting their lies without question. It even goes as far as grammar and syntax and most scammers wouldn't even know what that is, but even a slight knowledge of what to look for exposes them.

Often scammers copy biographies off other sites, but copying them blindly often makes it even easier to check them out as fakes.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#263376 by cltlovesdogs Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:42 pm
I have received 2 separate scams on christian mingle.....so I am so glad i found this site.
Fortunately red flags flew up before I was asked for any money. The weird accents are what got me and the fact that supposed successful business don't have a smartphone or any social media at all. I was fooled for a while though and kept the emails going..... I could kick myself for telling the 2 men where I worked.
#373074 by Annette123 Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:33 pm
I had the same experience. The first red flag was that the username on Christian Mingle was 'earl' with some digits, but then I was told the person's name was Nick Hawkins. The phone number that was given was 614 639-4378 which I will report. Same story as the others, told he had 3 months left on his deployment and then moving back, to anywhere the girl of his dreams would be! Supposedly me! Very handsome photos were included with the name Hawkins on the fatigue, photos showing him praying with his troops. The catch was the juvenile language used and I was wondering if Nick Hawkins had any substance, just a lot of fluff and I'm so beautiful. A friend alerted me to scammers but at that point I was in denial. Then a girlfriend googled and it came up. It was only 36 hours before I figured it out, er my girlfriend did (can't thank her enough!). So discouraging that people are so deceitful. I wish there was a way to catch them. I reported it to Christian Mingle but because the profile had been taken down, they couldn't trace it. I was able to get a refund on my money.