Information on romance scams and scammers.
#1295 by beth Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:38 am
I WAS ALSO CONTACTED BY TRAVANI MARTINS FROM CENTRAL KENTUCKY. HE HAD TO GO TO UK FOR BUSINESS AND THEN WENT TO AFRICA FOR A JOB ESTIMATE. WHILE THERE, HE MADE PLANS TO MEET ME BEFORE GOING HOME AND HE SENT ME HIS FLIGHT SCHEDULE AND WHERE WE WOULD MEEET ETC..... BUT ON THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT HE HIT A CHILD AND RUSHED HIM TO THE HOSPITAL, LEAVING ALL HIS BELONGINGS BEHIND. WHEN HE WENT BACK TO RETRIVE THEM HE HAD BEEN ROBBED. HE BEGGED ME AND BEGGED ME TO SEND HIM MONEY TO GET BACK BECAUSE HIS VISA CARD HE REPORTED STOLEN AND THEY WOULDN NOT ISSUE HIM ANOTHER ONE UNTIL HE SHOWED THEM PROOF THAT THERE WAS AN ACCIDENT AND THAT COST MONEY WHICH HE DID NOT HAVE....
HE CALLED ME WICKED BECAUSE I WOULD NOT SEND HIM ANY.
Advertisement

#1300 by ChrisSmith Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:09 am
Hi Beth. :)

The scammer will normally resort to pulling on the heart strings and then onto outright verbal abuse if he thinks your money is slipping away from him.
The irony of this tactic always seems to escape him in his greed.

One little tip that might be helpful. If you're contacted by somebody you don't know, try Googling the name that you're given. Quite often a scammer may use a name that has been associated with criminal activity before and this should get the red flags waving straight away.
It doesn't always work, but in the case of your guy there, a quick Google shows that "Travani" is a surname. Very often, African scammers mix up christian names and surnames just as this idiot has done. If you come across a name that looks the wrong way around - steer clear!!!

By the way. You might wanna hit the Caplocks off button next time. Your post is just a little hard on the eyes!!! :wink: