Information on romance scams and scammers.
#75789 by eas00809 Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 pm
A few days ago I was on a dating web site and I started to talk to an individual who asked to chat on Yahoo. We exchanged Yahoo contact info and began talking on line. I came to found out that he is in the army and in IRAQ. He said that in a month and a half he is retiring and is looking for a women to share his life with. He said that he has been divorced for 11 years and hasn't had a relationship since then. Also he said that he has a daughter state side that is currently with a care giver of some sort since he is in IRAQ. He said that he has been in the army for 28 years. Well anyway, we talked a lot and he started professing that he cared for me and saw a future for us. I should mention at this point that he said that he is a warrant officier W-3 level.
He told me that the Iraqi ministers were so happy with how much he helped them that they were giving him some money. He said that they gave him $100K in cash and that he needed to send it state side. They were sending it from Africa and he wanted me to send $120 for the stamps for the lugguage which would contain his money. And of course he wanted me to hold on the package for him when it was delievered. Of course I didn't send any money and I didn't believe him. But one really strange thing was I actually found the actual miilitary person on face book. His picture matched the one that was sent to me by the scammer. Should I let him know about this or should I maybe assume that he may be a part of this. Obviously I am not talking to the scammer anymore, but wasn't quite sure what to do about the facebook thing. Any suggetions???? Thanks so much.
Advertisement

#76054 by clever Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:53 pm
Be careful about your friend on Facebook. He might also be a scammer. You can watch him on Facebook, but before you are 110% sure he is the real person do not confront him about the scammer. If this person is a scammer also, you can be in danger, cuase there are a lot of info about you on Facebook.
If I was you, I would write to Facebook about the matter, and delete him from my friends.

That's my oppinion in this case.

- clever -
working for a safer place in cyberspace
#76055 by eas00809 Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:18 pm
Thanks Clever.
Though I am not his friend on facebook nor does he even know that I have one. It appears that he hasn't been active on the site since about May. But the strange thing is that he has 11 friends all girls about my age and it appears that he is looking for a women on that site also. So at this point I think I am just going to let it go. I got away pretty much unscathed though I feel bad for all of the other women that he does this too.
Or do you think I might be able to do something about it?
#76056 by clever Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:26 pm
In the way you write about him, I get a feeling he could be a scammer. If you still have the information about the scammer, I would write to Facebook and explain that you think he might be a scammer, and include the information you got inclusive the picture. If he is a scammer, you might save some souls. I think it's worth it.

Good luck, anyway with what you will do in this case.

- clever -
working for a safer place in cyberspace