Information on romance scams and scammers.
#80631 by Rockshister Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:55 pm
Hey all, first time posting here so please forgive me if I leave something out I should post.

I've personally had a run in with several 'Romance scammers' as of late who, thanks to this site and the great tips, I've been able to identify as a scammer and drop them like a bad habit.

However I have one who seems to evade positive detection, if she is in fact a scammer.

By all accounts, everything that has been suggested falls short for this one. While she claims to be in Ghana, she says she is working, needs nothing, and to date has asked for nothing. The 2 images she has sent to me seem to match (each other and her description). THey are not high quality photos, appearing to be home pictures (or standard digital quality pictures at least).

She's not asked for any personal contact information. No phone, no mailing address, not even so much as an email address.

What makes me question it is her direct dive into how much she 'loves' me. Now I know there are woman out there that go head over heals real fast. But this always causes me to put up a red flag. (btw her English is actually fine. No worse than mine at least. lol! She claims to be from the UK and has been living in Ghana for a couple years).

So my question is, how can I find out if this person is real or not. I asked her for more pictures, but she has not delivered yet, but it's only been a day. When I get them I will promptly toss them in the search engines. Is there any tips for discovering the truth of what is going on?

Any suggestions would be great. I'd love to know the truth one way or the other.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

#80634 by Helen Halper Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, Rockshister!

Some scammers are very patient, and wait until their victims are well hooked before asking for money etc. Alternatively, this could be a real person who is looking to get out of Ghana. Time will tell.
I would ask for a photo of her holding a piece of paper with your name on it, or getting her to do that on Skype.

#80637 by Rockshister Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 pm
Yeah I had one who waiting a good long while before sending me the dreaded "Accept my packages and you'll be rich!" thing.

I'm working on getting this one to get me more pics, a webcam or some such. She claims not to have one (which I can't argue because I don't have one myself) but says she'll get one or borrow one. So I guess time will tell. This was the approach I was aiming for though. A picture with her holding a paper or webcam or something along those lines.

Thanks again! Will be sure to post any updates.
#80723 by Justin Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:45 am
Hello Rockshister!

We support messing with scammers we call it baiting but we do not condone doing this if the scammer has any of your real life information. As silly as they may seem they are criminals. Please check out our sister site www.419eater.com to learn how to safely bait the scammers.

Justin

#80797 by Rockshister Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 pm
Dotti wrote:If you post (or forward to one of us) her early emails and the photos you were sent, we may be able to dig a little deeper for an answer.

Well there is one of the "Makes me wonder" things. There has been no email exchange. She's not asked, I've not provided. We met on a dating site (shocker) and after a quick chats there exchanged our IM info. (which I already use an alias account for IM'ing and emails regarding that sort of thing). We've chatted on yahoo for about 2 months now, and nothing out of the way has come up. She's sent me no emails, and has yet to ask me for an email address, phone number, mailing address, or anything. Nor has she given me any site to go visit and "buy her something".. etc. It's been casual conversation the whole way. The one picture she has sent me was through IM. Which I'll post for review. I've check the various sites ya'll linked and not getting any return on the image. I understand that doesn't rule out a scammer, but given the current state of things I'm a bit baffled.

http://scamwarners.com/main//guestuploa ... 101_50.jpg

I'm personally not calling this one a scammer as of yet. But I'm doing everything I can to ensure she's legit, or find out if she's fake. Any help is greatly appreciated!