Information on romance scams and scammers.
#81478 by efibel Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 am
Hello Everyone. I'm new here, but after reading many of your stories I feel like I've known you forever. Well, here's mine.

Like all of you, I joined a few online dating sites hoping for the same as everyone else. I started in December 2011, so I'm very new there, too. I must say upfront that I am not embarrassed, nor do I think I'm an idiot. I'm pissed!! This experience will, like all the others, make me stronger, wiser and definitely more careful. The good news is that it only took 2 e-mails to catch it. I have all of you to thank for that. Here goes...

1/14/12 - right after joining Match.com I got a 'wink' from 'listener567'. I was in the middle of a project when I needed to e-mail my daughter. I saw a new e-mail..'the wink', but wasn't going to answer it. Something kept pulling me to open it. The first thing I noticed was this really great-looking man that made my heart skip a beat. I saw he lived 75 miles away and was ready to delete. No, I didn't. I read his profile. It was magic, just enough in common to look promising and just enough difference to look interesting, but 75 miles away? I pondered this a few minutes then asked myself, 'what if I don't? Will I be giving up a possible great match for the want of a few miles? What the hell, he probably winks at everyone and he'll never answer me.' Surprise, he did. On 1/15/12 I received this message:

Thanks for the email and I am very interested in you.I feel flattered that you said you dont open up to stranger easiy but you did to me.I am new to internet dating and I am just giving this site a trial and hoping to see what comes out of it.I am hoping to meet someone nice and worthwhile.I believe that communication,honesty and patience makes relationship grows and I am ready to to make commitments.Life is too short for games and I am ready to give my all into any relationship that is based on trust.If you are interested in the same views you can get back to me through this e mail address [email protected].I don't get on here much

Victor

Nice, huh? Well, I fell for it, but I've learned to 'trust, but verify' in these instances. With the very limited info I had I couldn't find a thing on this guy. Figured I just needed more info. I answered him and that night, still 1/15/12, I received this:

Thanks for getting back from match.I guess you should truly know who I am and go straight to the point.I don't really know how this would work, but hey! here is an exclusive. If at my age I do not know what to do and what to say or how to handle situation of things, then what would I be? When a wise man sees that he has probably spent about half of his time in life already, he begins to assess his main goals in life. What could be more important than a happy ending? A man needs to live his life full of joy and happiness added with a woman who is caring, loving, understanding and honest. No matter his achievements, he is reduced to nothing on this earth if he has no crown to complete him and a woman to call his own......wife and best friend. A woman who knows that even while arguing they still need to hold hands. A woman whom I can call a partner in crime,A woman whom you can tell anything. How could you think anything can make you happier in life than
finding a love that knows no bound. To make you know more about me. I will give you some lovely introduction about me, my family and how I came into this world. Am very sure you will love to read about me...It would be like a case study.

MY BACKGROUND

I am Victor Manning, some call me Vic. I was born to a loving couple. An American man (My Father) to a Filipino woman (My Mother).The American man (My Father) was an international business man who met this Filipino woman(my mother) whose only family were close friends. She says there was something about the man that no woman could ever resist. Sometimes she says she sees same in me,dont know how but when I heard that from her, I was surprise.During my father's Global movement, while I was only nineteen years I left to study in Russian,where I got the first degree in Civil Eng and I also took some courses in oil and gas as well,I spent some time in Netherlands. and then I later moved on to join mom back in the Philippines. My father died and she was left alone.I moved to New York Bronx which was where I met my wife but I just relocated to New Jersey when I decided to move on with my life.I move to NJ cos of the trauma I went through after the death of
my wife and I am trying to cope with it

MY JOB

I am a Global Contractor. I do basically Rig constructions and renovations and also over water bridges. We have worked at many countries across the Globe. I think I really have gotten to this height cos I embraced work for so long trying to get over my wife, that I worked this hard but I think I now realize I can move on.Locally I am into buying and selling of salvaged cars which I place on e bay and craiglist for sale.

My DREAM

I have told you how my typical dream day would be like,I just want to spend the rest of my life enjoying the fruit of my labor.I just want a woman who would be my best friend and everything.I want a woman that will love me and we can be a happy big family.You know someone whom we would still love each other more as the days pass by, even when we can't make love anymore and all we could do is play bingo,LOL.I am a total package,I only need someone who understands the value of a good smile and you look like her.I cant wait to hear back from you.I want a family which is you and me and maybe your kids,I have no children of my own and I have accepted that and learned to live on with it so that is not what bothers me at the moment,what bothers me is finding that woman that will make me happy for the rest of my life or let me say compliment me.Do you think you can be that woman?Anyways that is too early to know but I will stop rambling and I will like to hear
from you soon.

Have a lovely day

Victor

Anybody you guys know? lol Not funny, but what else can I do? Anyway, while I was contemplating my next e-mail, I now had more info to go on. Couldn't find hide nor hair of this guy...and I do this sort of thing for a living! But, I persisted. Started taking bits and pieces of info and googied my ass off! Still nothing. Now I'm starting to get concerned. Then all of a sudden I was on this site reading all of your stories with my mouth agape and heart racing...a lot faster than that earlier little skip!!! OMG!! What have I gotten into??? You idiot! You A-hole! How could you have been so stupid? Then I got really pissed. My first reaction was to e-mail him a few of your letters and send him off with a few truck-driver words of advice. Then I started reading the rest of the site. I knew you were all right about what to do...and not do, so here I am. Let me give you a few details:

Match. com
listener567
[email protected]

This is his profile info:

56 year old man
Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States

Seeking: women 45-60Within:70 Miles of Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States
Relationship: Widow / Widower Have kids: No Want kids: Not sure Ethnicity: White / Caucasian Body type: About average Height: 6'2" (188cms) Faith: Christian / Catholic Smoke: No Way Drink: Social Drinker

I have never relied on anyone to make me happy because I am the only one who I can depend on. I have a great sense of humor with the ability to laugh at myself.I have self respect of myself so i respect everyone too.Life is good if you allow yourself the ability to grow along with the good, bad or ugly in our world. There is good & or bad in all of us it is what we choose to do that makes us unique..I am very Loving, caring, dependable, sincere, generous to a fault, loyal, trustworthy, patient, kind, and I am always giving of myself or time to others and ask of nothing in return. Probably way to much..lol..I am very grateful for the lessons I have learned in life for it has made me an even better person than I was already...I have been single a long time to long to admit to but this was a choice I made & a good choice. I am now willing to allow myself to love & be loved again. .Looking for that special person who will make me sing when doing the housework doing everything together.

I am a fun loving man, down to earth, have lots of interests and hope to find someone to share life with. I hope to meet someone who compliments my life and I hope to compliment theirs, too. To dream and scheme together that's my ideal. I know she out there somewhere.Of course we have to meet to see if there is a spark, that's what makes things come together, naturally. I would consider myself to be reasonably open minded, I'm trustworthy and honest, hardworking and cant wait to meet that special woman.

Am seeking a life partner, who can be comfortable in either casual wear or formal attire. Someone who is cultured, with a sense of humor will be appreciated, one who can appreciate the simple things in life. My partner and I should be compatible on three levels ---- intellectual; emotional and physical. We should not lay judgment on each other nor should we take each other for granted. We should respect each others space and differences. Spending quality time is enjoyable.....Everything happens for a reason so if this sounds like someone you would like to talk to or play a "round" with..let take a chance...i am an independent man who is looking for someone who knows what she wants...i love to laugh and do it as often as possible. i can be sarcastic at times. i see life as an adventure and i tend to not take hard times too seriously. My point of view is that relationships (even friendships) are opportunities to grow and learn about yourself as well as the other person

Interests: Camping, Coffee and conversation, Business networking, Cooking, Dining out, Hobbies and crafts, Movies/Videos, Music and concerts, Exploring new areas, Performing arts, Travel/Sightseeing, Volunteering, Watching sports

Sports and exercise: Aerobics, Billiards / Pool, Bowling, Dancing, Skiing, Swimming, Tennis / Racquet sports,
Walking / Hiking, Yoga, Volleyball

Exercise habits: Exercise 1-2 times per week

Pets: I'll tell you later

Political views: Middle of the Road

Sign: Virgo

College: I'll tell you later

For Fun: I'm part theater geek part workout/fitness freak. I also love amusement parks, traveling, movies, dining out, reality TV (my biggest vice- well one of my biggest!), reading, music, speaking and reading French, and quiet nights at home.

Favorite Hot Spots: I enjoy going to Boston, Marthas Vineyard. Would like to go back to Ocean City Maryland. I would like to go and see more of the United States.Disney World, FL, Lake Sunapee, NH, Cape Cod, Burlington, VT, New Orleans.

Favorite Things: My favorite things: Stimulating conversation, anything that makes me laugh, biographies, art, a great pizza, and all of Madonna's music. My interests are all over the map. Too many to mention.

Last Read: Anne Rule is my favorite true crime writer,and I have read most of her books.

It's really a shame that he, and those like him, cannot be found, caught and castrated...not necessarily in that order! :)

I do have one question though...I want to get his picture out there. I uploaded it via 'scamwarners', but lost the page that I was supposed to copy the URL from to post here. Can anyone tell me how to get back to that? Do I have to post it again?

Thank you all for listening. I really appreciate what you are doing toward this cause. Know that I will spread this site's name as far as I can. If I can help just one other woman to escape as fast as I did, it's the least I can do.

EF
(sorry, just a bit I.D. shy at the moment)
Mod edit: deleted double post. DJ
Last edited by Bubbles on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity.
Advertisement

#81510 by Arnold Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:11 am
Welcome to Scamwarners. That's certainly a typical example, so I'm glad you realised.
If you log back onto scamwarners, you should be able to find the picture again. There's no need to apologise for just showing your initials. We encourage members to be anonymous.

#81538 by efibel Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:37 am
Thank you, ratt84! The listener567 and [email protected] pic in the red shirt is the one I lost. Other than report other scammers I might find, is there anything else I can or should do?
#81617 by Oishii Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:42 pm
The easiest way to spot a scammer who claims to be an American is by his (mis)use of the English language.I have noticed lately that many claim to be biracial or raised in several disparate countries. This is to cloud the waters and explain his accent on the phone.
This particular person uses a lot of cut and paste so the red flags are smaller but they are evident in his first
email. Since scammers have been known to read this forum and I don't want to educate them I won't post
the information here. But I will be happy to answer anyone who cares to PM me.
Scammers don't trouble yourselves. I will be checking IPs.

Oishii