Information on romance scams and scammers.
#14508 by dontb1 Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:19 pm
Patrick Smith would love to receive money via Western Union ASAP. He needs the money for his son, Nelson who was hit by a car yesterday, unfortunatley the driver ran away. His son is currently in county hospital waiting to be cared for by doctor, Mr Anthony. The telephone number there is +2348050855792 and is located in Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria.

Pat Smith
1 Johnson Street
Ikeja, Lagos 23401
Nigeria
+2348073444004

I would love to know the real details, if anyone can tell me I would appreciate it.
Advertisement

#14509 by Dan Jones Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:24 pm
It's unlikely we'll have any real life details for a scammer, but we might know some related aliases, or other scams he's linked to.

If you post the initial emails with headers, we might be able to find out a bit more.
#14510 by dontb1 Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:39 pm
--- On Thu, 9/24/09, Patrick Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Good morning

Date: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 2:06 AM

How are you doing baby, I MISS YOU AND I LOVE YOU, I am sorry about what happen yesterday my computer go froze and i can get it fix back, He was not boosting up, so i have to shoot it down, how was sleep, i really wanted to talk with for long yesterday but i dont know what went wrong with computer, i will check you later today when you get back from work, pls i want you to try and get online later tonight so we can talk more better baby, i miss you, hope you are not angry with me bcos of what happen, what will you do this morning before working?
#14511 by dontb1 Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:41 pm
Is there a way to do a reverse phone lookup for the phone numbers listed?
#14513 by Jillian Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:59 pm
You can look it up with this tool: http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=ana ... ub=phonenr

It won't give you the name of the person who owns it but it gives a little bit of info:

For +2348073444004

Number billable as mobile number
Country or destination Nigeria
City or exchange location
Original network provider* Globacom Ltd

So, it's a Nigerian cellphone. No surprise there.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#14514 by Ralph Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:16 pm
Hi Dontbi

Welcome to Scamwarners

Could you please provide us with as much information as you can on this scammer, the more you can provide the better, this guide will give you an idea of what is useful to us viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3561

I have done a bit of searching and found a profile that appears to be from the same person, I dont know if the details here are the same but it would not at all be unusual for the same scammer to have different information on various profiles

From this profile Click Here
patsmmus
41 y/o male pennsylvania, USA
I`m a romantic and tender Man but it never bothers me from having fun with friends and living very active life!! I`m loving and caring, and I feel so lonely without somebody very s... more

There is also this
- 41 y/o male
- pennsylvania, USA
- English, English, English
- self employed
- Have 1 children

"Have 1 children" and he does say he is English 3 times

I then did a search on some of the content of that profile and found somebody else using the same wording on their profile take a look by Clicking here
where you will see this line "I`m a romantic and tender Man but it never bothers me from having " exactly the same as that profile.

You may find the guide we put together on how to spot a Romance scammer useful, you can see that by clicking on this link viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3607

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
#14517 by dontb1 Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:26 pm
The top profile is the same picture he sent me. I would love to know who the man in the picture is and ask how would I know if my photo is being misrepresented, as well?
#14518 by dontb1 Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:35 pm
This information is the same he gave me. He claimed to be a sculpture working on a contracted project in Africa. He said he lived in an apartment, with his son in York, Pennsylvania. Divorced 6 years because his wife cheated on him, attended weekly services and claimed to be christian. He did not care for the club scene as this was not his type. He claimed to have a heavy spanish accent because his father was spanish. He was not close to his family, aside from his son who was enrolled in a private school in Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria.
#14519 by Ralph Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:48 pm
The picture could be stolen from any one of a number of places, the only thing I can say for sure is that it is not the person you have been writing to.

The claims about his "spanish accent is just to cover for his Nigerian accent :wink:

If you have them, the early emails will be a huge help to post here :wink:
#14521 by dontb1 Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:03 am
I cannot find any. I looked for the messages on the site he contacted me on, myyearbook.com and could not find them in my messages although I did not delete them.
#14523 by The Enchantress Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 am
Details from http://www.absolutefreedate.com/profile.php?ID=111192

Mail address used [email protected]

User name used patsmmus

Claims 41 years old, dob 10th September 1968, divorced/single with 1 dependant son "Nelson", living in Pennsylvania, USA, but living/working on a contracted project in Nigeria

Height 6'0" - 6'3" (181-190cm)
Body type Athletic
Ethnicity Mixed
Religion Christian
Marital status Single
Smoker No
Drinker Often

I look for a female
Looking for an age range 35 - 53
Relationship Activity Partner, Friendship, Relationship, Romance, Casual

I`m a romantic and tender Man but it never bothers me from having fun with friends and living very active life!! I`m loving and caring, and I feel so lonely without somebody very special to care about... I`m kind of easy-tempered and quiet person, you'll never see me arguing or crying at anybody. And I must tell you that all my friends believe I bring luck and success . I guess I'll give you a kiss for luck if we meet one day

I'm looking for a loving, caring, fair woman to give her everything I have, all the life I possess, all the feelings I have inside… I'm very understanding, loving and affectionate person

Stolen photographs used on the above dating site;

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#14524 by dontb1 Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:13 am
Yes, that is the email address he used, and the photographs, he even sent photographs of his "work"
#14525 by The Enchantress Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:17 am
Welcome to Scamwarners dontb1.

I am glad you realise he is a scammer and merely using an innocent persons photographs.

I will send you my mail address by PM - if you wish to have any information/images added to this warning thread.

Thank You very much for reporting this scammer - this post will alert and save others. :=)

If you have any questions or concerns please post or mail - a support team member will help you.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.