Information on romance scams and scammers.
#151720 by ironmagnolia Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:52 pm
YES DEBBIE IT IS A SCAM. DO NOT SEND MONEY. THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT ASK CIVILIANS FOR MONEY.
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND CHANGE PASSWORD OR START ANOTHER SITE. i
Advertisement

#167378 by akoto Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 am
I am also a victim of these scammers. A name supposedly Sgt Joseph Maupin deployed in Libya.

To: <[email protected]>;
Subject: Call card payment information
Sent: Wed, May 22, 2013 11:11:45 PM

Military Security Connection System gives you the ability to stay connected Securely in Europe,America ,the Middle East,Asia.
THIS E-MAIL TRANSMISSION AND ANY DOCUMENT ACCOMPANYING IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.The information transmitted is intended only for the use of the individual(s) named below.If you are not the intended recipient of the transmitted information, you are hereby notified that disclosing,copying, distributing,or taking action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender and then delete the information.

NOTICE: THIS EMAIL MAY CONTAIN PRIVACY ACT INFORMATION, PLEASE HANDLE ACCORDINGLY. Under the Privacy Act of 1974, you must safeguard personnel information. Disclosure of information is governed by Title 5, United States Code Section 552a Public Law 93-579, DoDD 5400.11, DoDR 5400.11-R and applicable serve directives.

ATTN: ___________

Your Application has been received to get connected to Sergeant Joseph Maupin, Badge number 261740 of the US Army troops in Tripoli Base,Libya.The Military Security Connection System specializes in providing global satellite access services.This is the phoning service through which you can communicate with your military friends and families.

Make payment for your preferred plan to be activated via Western Union.Kindly make payment to our payment department with the info below:

Name : Mariam Yasde
Address: Cotonou
Amount : US$250

AS SOON AS YOU MAKE THE PAYMENT SEND THE DETAILS OF THE TRANSFER IMMEDIATELY TO US FOR CONFIRMATION

1. Name and address of sender
2. Amount sent
3. Control number (MTCN)
4. Security question and Answer

The details should be emailed to us so we can proceed with our processing concerning the Calling card and activation In Libya.

PLEASE NOTE THAT MARIAM YASDE IS A CIVILIAN IN THE REPUBLIC OF BENIN SO TRANSFER SHOULD BE SENT AS TO A CIVILIAN. NO FORM OF MILITARY IDENTIFICATION SHOULD BE MADE AT WESTERN UNION SO AS TO ENABLE MARIAM PICK UP THE MONEY AT HER REGION.
PREFERABLY,PURPOSE OF TRANSFER SHOULD BE STATED AS BUSINESS. OFFICERS IN CHARGE OF THIS TRANSACTION WHERE DISMISSED DUE TO DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN THE REGION AND THE US ARMY. PLEASE BEAR WITH US.

Thank you for your time.

Sgt Paul Armstrong

This is a real Scammer! Dont believe!
#171345 by ladylinw2005 Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:06 am
I recently received a friend's request from Joseph Maupin on Facebook....after accepting it, I received a message in such broken English that I started to snoop around...the pictures posted on his page are of a Maupin in the US Army...but this person is not that guy....I then found at least five more accounts on Facebook, all with the same pictures but different information about his background...and the friends are all single females....BEWARE....this is obviously the scam mentioned...I have blocked whatever accounts I could find, but I am sure there are many more...it is sad that not only does he have pictures of a very nice looking soldier on the pages, but also pictures of the soldier's son....I wish there was a way to contact someone and make them aware of what is going on...using an adult picture in a scam is one thing...using that person's family is another...
#171436 by Grunt Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:46 am
'Joseph Maupin' is has got several profiles on FB
his pics are stolen from a married military man Corby Maupin

see also
http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=297350

here just a few profiles ...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006347464730
claiming to live in Syria :=)

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.maupin.7
From Houston, Texas

https://www.facebook.com/maupin.joseph
#217753 by leahgarciaperlas Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:41 am
Good day! This is Leàh Perlas from Philippines. I have a boyfriend Sergeant Robbery Smith a US army now in Afghanistan. I would like to check if email is true and authentic because they want me to pay 10,000usd for security and clearance of my boyfriend. The email address is [email protected]
It was issued by Benefit and Claim Dept
US Army, Department of Defense(DOD) under the US Government, Washington DC.
Hope to hear result from you soon.
Thanks a lot and God Bless
#217754 by AlanJones Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:16 am
It is a scam - soldiers do not have to pay for leave, they earn it in the same way as any other employee does. Also, [email protected] is not a real US military eamil address - it is a free email, just like GMail or Yahoo.

Please post the email address that the "soldier" is using as this will help other victims and then delete all his emails and don't respond to him any further. Please do not tell him that you know he is a scammer or that his details are posted here.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#217758 by Smith Jones Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:05 am
Hi leahgarciaperlas, welcome to ScamWarners. These scammers like to come up with stories about needing money to either come home on leave or come home to be with us. I'm sure he has sounded like a heroic but lonely soldier. Do not believe it. They prey on our feelings toward soldiers, how they work hard to defend our country. Do not believe him. He has only tried to woo you with the intent of getting money from you. If you send it once, he will continue to ask. He will never come home to you. It is all a lie.
Please help by doing as Alan requested- post the emails and any photos you received. We ask you to stop contact because your scammer will tell you he is real and say anything to keep you involved. We are glad you came here before getting deeper into the scammer's web of lies.