Information on romance scams and scammers.
#146461 by Allessandra Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:36 pm
I knew it was too good to be true!

He usses the name David Collins
email/yahoo messenger: [email protected]
40 years old
wife died of cancer
lieutenant in US Army in Iraq
Met him om Badoo.com: http://badoo.com/0308953730/

He is very good! He even called me on the phone. Alarm bells started ringing pretty soon even though he so good at this damnit! But for sure when asked me this:

me: I'm back
me: What did he say?
Collins David: i have to follow the procedure,no short cut
me: Whats the procedure?
Collins David: will need you to fill in some part of the leave form so they know who am with and were i am,attarched to the leave form most be a flight ticket and when i get to you they will need your account info so they send me my leave bonus thru you
Collins David: she is gone again,guess i was talking to my self,lol
me: You mean i have to get you a flight ticket?
Collins David: for now no,will contact my bank
Collins David: have to go,let me know when you can chat
Collins David: knock knock,anyone home?

So he is asking me for my bank account info and probebly ticket money or something?
This is when I started goolgling for info on leave procedures and found this site, I have had no contact since.

Fortunately I have only been talking to him a couple of days :bondage:

Last edited by Bubbles on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited to deface photos per forum policy.
Advertisement

#146536 by began steele Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:12 am
Consider the likely postings for soldiers and the impossibel, and I won't say more and educate scammers. So that's a HUGE red flag.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#148506 by satine Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 am
OMG the only different between our story is the name and pictures ,he use JOHN FRANK ALVARADO i saw his pictures on this site
#160109 by Judee Diva Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 am
I had a guy claimed he was a captain in the army, his name given to me was Captain Curtis Monroy MOS U25. said the same story about needing to leave afghanistan and to request him to visit me. A Lt. Col. Robert Nicolas sending me email asking for $320. Money Gram to a Name; Janey Coleman, State; Tennessee, City; Blountville, zip code; 37617, country; USA . They used email; [email protected] Sad how these scammers can continue to fool people. Thank goodness I have lots of family in the military to ask. Even gave me phone number 803-937-4698 smh.
#162683 by susanhadn46 Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:01 am
Oh my god! It's happen to me too! What a charmer Captain Matthew Wernert, 3rd Special Forces (Airborne), thought he was. Phone number 901-419-9972. Met him on Match.com Name: RealCupidMinded
Well at least he only sucked up two weeks of my life via email and NONE of my money! But, dang, it hurts! Why, dammit, didn't I listen to my gut! I KNEW it was too good to be true.

This is what stopped me in my tracks after 1 1/2 weeks of emails and text messages:
Scammer: It even crosses my mind to apply for leave so I could come home to you earlier. I'm not sure my heart could hold til August before seeing you! Are you conversant with how military leave works? It's possible but I realize why you don't want to get your hopes up.
Me: No I'm not aware of how leave works.
Scammer: You might have a role to play in having it successful! I will send in an application for the leave request. You will email the leave section of the DoD on my behalf so that they can approve it. I will tell you what to say, to who and the email address.

$#%@$@^#^ RED FLAGS, FIREWORKS, MORE RED FLAGS, ALARM BELLS %#$&$*#%^#

Me: OK, I'm a little confused but you can explain later.
Scammer: Why are you confused?
Me: I just don't understand the process and how I fit in.
Scammer: If you're confused, there's no need then.
Me: Oh my god, what have you done? Never mind, I know now. You were good though, I have to admit, you ALMOST had me!

Here's his last email:

Honey,

How are you baby? Thanks for the email. I have been thinking about you all day and you make me smile always at the very thought of you. What excites me? My thought on what excites me is anticipation and potential. I have many things that excite me but principally, there's this lady that emails me and is at the top of my list lately. The prospect of having this wonderful woman become Mrs. Susan Wernert. The prospect of having her as my wife and life excites me. The prospect of spending the rest of our lives together excites me. Other times it's something simple like reading the next chapter of a good book, or seeing a movie, picking out a gift for someone, a beautiful sunset. I find the idea of meeting you, holding you, and kissing you exciting.

From the very first moment you replied me on Match, I knew that we were destined to be together. It has been so long since a woman has captured my attention so fully or made my heart beat this way. I have no doubt you are the woman Heaven has made especially for me. Your letters keep chilling me up with hopes and thoughts of a future plan. At this very moment I am sitting here fantasizing about how nice it would have been for us to be together right now.

Thank you for the comfortable conversations which I so much enjoy. No matter how slowly or at what distance our courtship develops, I know standing before God and our future family, vowing to be your partner for life, would be the easiest decision I can ever make. Each day that passes will make our relationship grow stronger. Although I know it’s hard for us to be apart, I know there is nothing that can keep us apart forever. Our desires will continue to stretch across any distance, over every mountain and ocean between us. Nothing can stand between us, and nothing will stop me from meeting you.

I am writing you this letter to tell you how much you mean to me, and to thank you for coming into my life. You are something I never thought could exist and I don't regret being with you this way. I know I am missing a lot not being there with you and I can't wait to meet you and your family. It's going to be lovely. Since my divorce, I have not taken chances with a woman. But you happened, you came into my life and stole my heart from the day I saw your profile like I stole you heart too; it is a mutual thing. At first I was confused, didn't really know what was happening, I didn't know if I would want to take a chance again and actually take you seriously. So, I decided to come close to you as a friend and find out who you truly were and what you were like. You seemed cool, nice and funny; things I really liked in a woman. So I want to take a chance with you and see what develops.

From the very beginning, things seem well, I actually had no doubt about you. I know for sure you are actually taking me seriously. Before I know I had already fallen for you since you have been my invisible companion and I think of you even on the field! Well, time has passed and I have discovered new things and a new me. You have truly changed me with the care and understanding that you express in your messages and actions to me.

Have a great day, dear. Remember, you are on my mind. Please, say a prayer for us as usual!

Fondly,
Matthew.
#162706 by jolly_roger Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 pm
I'm sorry the scammers have wasted your time ladies. If you scroll to the top of this page, the site search function is a handy tool. Type in the words, military scam. The results that show on the screen will amaze you all. The forums are littered with them, sad to say. They all have a familiar theme. The military (like any other Government department) is funded by the taxpayer and that is where part of our taxes are spent. And service people don't ask people for anything.
Allessandra, satine, Judee Diva and susanhadn46, I'm sending you all a Private Message.
#162740 by Allessandra Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm
They are very very good you all, don't feel stupid if you have been scammed, these guys are professionals and they devoted there days and nights for perhaps years to perfecting these scam's.

....and The English is getting better I see. Not good.
#166157 by Jiamee Aquino Sat May 18, 2013 5:10 pm
I was about to be victimized by a scammer this evening. I am just glad that I have keen senses, that before he could victimized me I checked the supposed email add of the US Military department. I met the guy in the dating site Christaindatingforfree or CDFF. All the while I thought he was legit and our exchange of conversation went for hours. He knows how to sweet talk and a lady who is emotionaly vulnerable might believe his story. This Sgt Mark Spencer has a good to be true story that is why before putting my guard down I checked the email that he gave me and I was directed to this site. He gave me his pictures in the military but I doubt if those were truely his. I just wish something could be done to punish these scammers cos they do not have any qualms on playing the emotions of other people. All they are after is that they can get money from whatever disillusionment they will try to make you believe. If these people cannot do honest work then they should be in jail. They just bring heart ache and disappointment to many. I wish I can post his pic in here but maybe the scammer just randomly got the pic from that military person. If anyone can teach me how to attach his pic I will be glad so that the real person on the pic will also be warned as to clear his identity. Pity on him to be used why somebody who is a scammer..tnx
#167357 by csilla szabo Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 am
hello my name is (removed), I live in sverige.jag met on Facebook a man which is called Sgt.Ryan Thomson and is in Kabul? we wanted that he comes with me and take a holiday., he left me an e-mail address which belongs to his commander (Wattson)., he told me that I have to pay to get Sgt.Ryan holiday.I paid 2000USD! nothing happened! today I received an e-mail to Sgt Ryan is on the road to die to self life! I need to get there help. I sent messages to commander Wattson that I want to cancel Sgt.Ryan holiday that I can not pay extra 2000 USD he has vacation and I want my money back, I contact you, I hope you can help me! Please checked up that is the people of Kabul, Afghanistan!
#167358 by csilla szabo Thu May 30, 2013 6:16 am
21:08

xxx

how many time I tell you today that I can not pay the money is to be better for us to cancel the leave and I get the money back!
21:09

Ryan Thomson
is that what you want?

21:09
xxx
I'm not a millionaire!
I want my money back!
I do not have money to pay all the time! I love you only when you do not understand me and my situation SORRY!

21:11
Ryan Thomson
ok honey write the commander to send you back your money because that is what you want. am going to kill my self when you don't hear from me no that am dead
#167360 by Dotti Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 am
Welcome to scamwarners. I wish you were visiting our forum under better circumstances.

If you have sent money, and it has been picked up, there is no way to get it back. The scammer has no intention of returning your money. He only says that because he wants to keep trying to get more money.

I'm sorry to say that you were never in contact with a soldier, or his commander. In fact, you were never in contact with anyone in the US military.

The person writing to you is an African scammer. Most likely he is from Nigeria or Ghana. He is using photos of a real person that he stole from the internet. He does not know the real person in the photos, and the real person does not know him. This scammer makes a living by creating fake relationships and then convincing the victim to send money for things like leave. The "commander" email was answered by the scammer himself or by an accomplice.

In reality, American (and British) soldiers earn a certain amount of leave each year. When they are eligible for leave, they apply for it themselves. Nobody else can apply for leave for a soldier, not even the soldier's wife. If leave is granted, the military will fly them home for free. There is NO cost. If a soldier is NOT eligible for leave, he cannot get it. He has to wait until he is eligible for leave again. If you were involved with a real American soldier, you would not make any requests or fill out any forms for the US military. Your soldier would be able to access his bank account, and there would be NO reason for you to send any money to any one.

But in reality, soldiers who are in dangerous areas are NOT starting relationships with women through dating sites or facebook, so any soldier you meet through these means is fake.

I would recommend that you change your user name to something that is not your real name. It is best not to post too much personal information on the internet, or you will be targeted by more scammers.

Edit to add: the scammer has no intention of killing himself. The only thing he intends to do is to steal more money from you if he can, and to continue to steal money from other women too.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#167414 by csilla szabo Thu May 30, 2013 4:31 pm
hello everyone! that kind of e-mail I received too! I share here!Hello Madam,

The email is right and i am Commander Watson,in respect to the request you just made i will like you to know that Sgt Ryan Thomson can get a leave vacation if you will follow all legal procedures, i can help him get the chance to come home to you,regards to what you have wrote, but you will be responsible for every charges here,since its on a private trip and he need a special pass to leave Afghanistan and all funds are refundable,so you will have to contact the department that is responsible for the leave vacation via this email address.you write and tell them you need to know the available weeks for vacation and the amount that they have so you can chose your vacation for Sgt Ryan.

This is the department email address: [email protected]

Regard,

Comm.Watson.