Information on romance scams and scammers.
#23652 by The Enchantress Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm
LEON GREENBERG

Liar and romance scammer

User name used Leongreenberg

Claims 57 years old, dob 29th March 1952, "IT consultant" living in Flushing, New York, USA

Mail address used [email protected]

IP = 41.189.1.238 = Lagos, Nigeria

Message;

My perception of an ideal relationship: I want to find the woman of my dream, the woman for happy life. I believe in future. I beleive that my woman is somewhere here. I'm sure we find each other,Someone that would love,care,understand,make me feel so special,appreciated and also feel secured while i give all this back too in return,Someone that we would be positives together and share the gift of love till eternity,

My personality traits are: serious, persistent, smart, flexible, sensitive I like these kinds of music: classical, disco, pop I usually read: classics, detectives I like to go out to/and: theater, cinema, exhibitions, museums, concerts, disco and country music

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
Advertisement

#30451 by CuriousAussie Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:16 am
What evidence is available to support the posting on Leon Greenberg being a Romance Scammer. This is urgently required !!
#30452 by GomerPyle Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 am
http://www.romancescam.com/blog/blog-bid-5844

Posted 26th February 2010

.......and the fact that his IP indicates he's actually in Nigeria.

It evidences that he is not who he says he is, and much less an IT consultant that he also claims to be, or he'd notice.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#30453 by Ralph Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:14 am
Hi Curios Aussie,

It seems that you are having trouble believing that this person is a romance scammer, if you would like more information and evidence on this you could send post or PM some of his early emails and we will be sure to be able to dig up futher proof.

The important thing is while you are waiting for more information, do not reply furtehr to this person and most impoortant, dont show him that his information has been posted here.

If you do, he will simply tell you lies to try to cover his tracks and he may change his scamming details which could prevent us from being able to save his next victim from being scammed.

There is absolutely no doubt that its a scammer and we can provide you with as much evidence as it takes so you know without a doubt that it is.

If you have any questions, please ask
#30454 by Dotti Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 am
Welcome CuriousAussie,

As GomerPyle already mentioned, this scammer gave himself away before correspondence with any baiter.
The link he posted is to a blog owned by a dating site and anti-scam site owner, and in order to make it onto that blog, a scammer has to try to sign up using a false profile. In other words, this scammer attempted to create that profile on a dating site, claiming he is in New York, from a computer in Nigeria.

I will also add myself that there were other flags--the profile and even the email address are textbook scammer (scammers frequently open email addresses containing words like lonely, honest, trust, caring, etc.) The English errors in the profile also tell me the person who put it together is NOT American, and the specific types of errors are in fact typical of an African.

When a photo is posted here, keep in mind that the person in the photo is generally NOT a scammer. However, it also means that one or more scammers is now using this photo in their scamming.

If you have had correspondence with this scammer, we recommend you stop immediately. It would also be helpful to other potential victims if you posted this scammer's correspondence, as most scammers use a series of scripted letters that they will use repeatedly on new victims, and posting that script may help to prevent someone else being scammed.

If you are in correspondence with this scammer but are still feeling uncertain, and are not ready to post the correspondence, you can contact myself or another member of the support staff by pm. I would be happy to help you go through some of his correspondence and help you to identify some of the other indicators of scam, and I know that other members of support staff would be willing to do the same.

Looks like Ralph got in ahead of me, but I will still post to reiterate!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#30484 by CuriousAussie Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:01 am
The situation is like this - my aunty has been corresponding with this man who she met through the TAGGED dating site.

They have been speaking for 7mths and have recently decided to get married here in Australia in October 2010 and then my aunty is planning on moving to Los Angeles to live with him there.

He has told her that there was a internet fraud - identity stealing thing that happened to him and someone has stolen his photo and stuff and set up this scam and the FBI were involved and cleared him but quite obviously with him still being posted as a Scam - it must be the case and she needs to be aware !!

I am going to flick her this information and hopefully she listens... If you can please send me any other information I can provide her as evidence to help her understand that he is still scamming.
#30486 by GomerPyle Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:36 am
The evidence points to the fact that the mails she has been receiving are being produced on a duplicating machine basis. They're merely words copied from elsewhere and being sent to many women for the sole purpose of duping them out of money.

His suggestion that the FBI would have any interest in a case of impersonation is in itself the clearest indication that she is dealing with a West African internet scammer. Their obsession with mentioning the FBI is legendary. In actual fact, even the local police wouldn't be interest in some unknown person using another's identity. That's what I'm doing, though I do it for my personal security, not to scam money out of anyone. This person is an imposter and to suggest that the FBI would have any interest is ridiculous.

No marriage will take place, but you can be sure that dramas and misfortune will ensure that plenty of demands for money come from the scammer and get dumped on your aunt. The marriage set up merely ensures that your aunt will feel morally obliged to cough up money every time he makes a new demand.

The money demands will always require payment by Western Union or MoneyGram, even though it is implausible to believe that an IT consultant in the USA does not have a bank account. The reason is simple. He can't open an account in the name of the person he claims to be.

This scammer won't back off until he's sucked every last cent out of your aunt, irrespective of the consequences to her health and well being. Everything's a lie, and the sole aim is to steal your aunt's money.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
#36164 by CuriousAussie Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:12 pm
Grrr - well its been a few months and it seems about $70,000.00 later and my aunt is still communicating with the scammer "Leon Greenberg"

I have made many family members aware of this site and the information you have provided me and everything is exactly as you say - payments seem to be requested via Western Union. She has nearly sent all her savings and is now resulting to sending him her pay each week and is also talking of selling her car which she purchased to travel around Australia for more money.

If a family member brings up their concern - she flys off the handle claiming "you dont know him Iike I know him" and gets really angry. She has not confided in anyone about sending him money and actually says that he has asked but she has refused - however the money deposit receipts say otherwise as does her personal savings account balance.

She isnt listening and is refusing that she is being scammed and pretty soon is going to have nothing left. Because she has been scammed - all the money she is sending Im am presuming she has no chance of getting back. I really think the FBI or something needs to get involved to prevent her being further scammed and living in poverty because she has no money, going to sell her car and of late has been discussing accessing her superannuation. I really need more help and insight as to what to do now...!!??

Curious Aussie
#36166 by CuriousAussie Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:25 pm
If anyone else is in communication or has been scnammed by Leon Greenberg and is suppose to be in a relationship with him - please post it on here.

I just want to know how many others this person is scamming...?? It might help my Aunt realise he is lying to her and might help her cease this devasting event from progressing any further...!!
#36176 by GomerPyle Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:36 am
What you are telling us CuriousAussie is an unfolding tragedy and undoubtedly the damage the scammer has done to your aunt's life is irreparable, but it will get worse the longer she doesn't face reality.

I don't wish to alarm you, but even after the scammer has cleared out her cash he won't stop. He'll get her to sell her assets, borrow off friends and relatives and even steal money. The consequences can be dire.

In an extreme case like this then I think it's justifiable to contact the police and this link might be the way to do it.

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/reportascam

My thinking is that more mature people would be more likely to take the word of the authorities, who they repect, rather than younger family members.

For some reason Australia has had many instances like this (though it undoubtedly affects every part of the world) and the Australian police have taken steps recently to become more pro-active in addressing these problems. Contacting the police is not because she is in trouble, but merely to enlist their aid as a figure of authority she may be prepared to listen to.

This suggestion is probably only to be used in extreme cases but, for your own sake, you need to know you made every attempt to help her. The tragedy is that if she does realise what's happened to her, it will be a mssive psychological blow.