Information on romance scams and scammers.
#3161 by Fr.Geist Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:35 pm
His email is: "Rush Maxx Jeremy" <rushmaxx11>

His IP addresses link to a satellite provider that has also been linked to forum posts in an West African newspaper and to Nigeria.

If you need more info - feel free to ask

I sent the following email to eHarmony when I notified them of my suspicions:

<Rush> have started corresponding outside eHarmony and guess what, one e-mail was from a satellite provider and another was from Nigeria. Please verify his payment information and his other potential victims if it turns out he has used a stolen credit card.

. . .

I am growing tired of getting West African scam artists as matches. This is now my sixth - four of which I brought to eHarmony's attention myself. The only response I get is the stock response to cease communications with so and so. I think eHarmony needs to be less complacent in the criminal activities that are going on here. Not only are some of you legitimate clients being victimized by your not so legitimate clients, but it is likely that the illegitimate clients are using stolen credit cards to pay for the service.

Furthermore, you have NOT removed my credit card information from your system as I requested.

I expect to get the same bull crap answer from them, but I am doing what I can.
Advertisement

#3166 by Nick Smith Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:09 pm
Well done for doing what you can. Eharmony is starting to get as bad for Nigerian love scammers as Mybelovednet is for Russian scammers.

At times I have to ask myself whether these sites are really serious about being anti scammer... some of them seem to almost positively encourage them.

#4265 by Fr.Geist Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 am
After a bit of baiting, over time, I received the following information. I believe he is done with his above persona (I could be wrong), but I have some other information that isn't as easy as an email to change:

Here is some additional information:

First I was to meet a Glenn Jones in Toronto
(email: [email protected])
I was to bring money to get Mr. Jeremy's inheritance.
(email address associated with a scam)

I was instructed at one point to wire money into the following account:
Beneficiary Name ;- Qingdao Orich Ind. Co. LTD
Bank Name ;- Bank of China Shandong,Branch Qingdao China
Bank Address ;- Shandong Branch Qingdao China
Account No. ;- 381001147868094001
Swift Code ;- bkchcnbj500
(this account has been associated with other scams)

Then Western Union money to the following:
RECEIVERS NAME:BONGAC NANCY TAN-OM.
ADDRESS:68 SANYUALI DADA ROAD,GUANGZHOU CHINA

Also, anyone familiar with telephone numbers?
The latest telephone number I was given was:
He claims it is in London. Insight anyone?

Should I post identified IPs, too?

P.S. eHarmony never had the decency to respond to my concerns about this match. I do not believe that is an indication of me being wrong, just them being afraid of being responsible for not screening better.

#4266 by Ralph Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:39 am
Hi Thanks for adding to the information you previously gathered.

yes, feel free to post the IPs or any other details you may find.

I notice he has an Australian email address, most likely a sign that he has profiles using that name on some Aussie dating sites or at least he is telling his victims thats where he is from.

#4268 by Crispy Duck Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:22 pm
Hello, FrGeist. That telephone number resolves to:

Information on phone number range +94 47 XXXXXXX

Number billable as geographic number
Country or destination Sri Lanka
City or exchange location Hambantota

It may be a 'redirect anywhere' number (I am not familiar with phone numbers in the Indian sub continent), however, it most certainly is NOT a UK number.

#4273 by Fr.Geist Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:18 pm
The Aussie email was for a his "uncle's friend" who is a "diplomat in Canada".

I called a Canadian cell phone and spoke with him (I seem to have lost the phone #), but the connection was awful. The phone # was for British Columbia, but i was supposed to meet him in Toronto.