Information on romance scams and scammers.
#163337 by KRM1978 Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:08 am
Scammer contacted me through eVow.com as user fernadhernaz77 but the profile has been deleted. A google search of the user name found another profile over at datinghookup.com however the profile was not there only the same pictures I saw on eVow.

We first texted for a few days, the number given to me was local 240 468 4918
How do they accomplish this? A search on the number said it was in my state, but also listed a server in Nigeria.

They were good, even speaking Spanish that seemed legit, something I studied for years in high school and university. I guess these online translators are good!

"He" was in the Army Reserves and going to be deployed on a 'secret mission' (my first sign of BS) so he wanted to stay on close contact via email at [email protected] He mentions a new phone also, a few days after the email, I received a text from +234 813 342 1297 I never replied to the email or text from the new number.

I feel bad for the actual soldier in the photos. His last name does appear to be Hernandez per the uniform, but no luck on Facebook searches, too common.

Below is the first email 'he' sent me. It was too much too soon, especially since we hadn't met and he only lived an hour away. I googled some of the flowery parts and that was confirmation of the scam since I found almost the exact wording on scam forums.

----------------------------------------HEADER INFO-------------------------------

Received: from [62.173.43.77] by web120502.mail.ne1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:13:21 PDT
X-Rocket-MIMEInfo: 002.001,SGVsbG8gbXkgZGVhcmVzdCBzd2VldGhlYXJ0LArCoCDCoCDCoCDCoCDCoCDCoCDCoCDCoCDCoEhvdyBpcyB5b3VyIGRheSBnb2luZyBteSBsYWR5PyBJIGp1c3Qgd2FudCB0byBsZXQgeW91IGtub3cgaSBnb3QgaGVyZSBzYWZlbHksIGl0IHdhcyByZWFsbHkgYSBzdHJlc3NmdWwgam91cm5leSBhcyBpIG91Z2h0IHRvIGhhdmUgbWFpbGVkIHlvdSBidXQgZHVlIHRvIHRoZSBmYWN0IHRoYXQgaSB3YXMgcmVhbGx5IHN0cmVzc2VkIHVwIGkgY291bGQgbm90IGFuZCBpIGJlbGlldmUgeW91IGdvbm5hIHVuZGVyc3QBMAEBAQE-
X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.8.141.536
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:13:21 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: Fernando Hernandez <[email protected]>
Subject: SAFE ARRIVAL

------------------------------------------------EMAIL---------------------------------

Apr 19 (4 days ago)

Hello my dearest sweetheart,
How is your day going my lady? I just want to let you know i got here safely, it was really a stressful journey as i ought to have mailed you but due to the fact that i was really stressed up i could not and i believe you gonna understand this with me? i have really missed those special and lovely time we do spend together texting and i hope we gonna start that again soon because i would try to get a new phone today as the phone i came here with didn't just work and that really sucks. I can see within myself that the feelings i have for you now grow stronger and stronger day after day and i really wanna see you and be with you so soon.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would meet a woman that could captivate my heart so easily. Since we have been exchanging words there is no place on earth I would rather be than thinking about you. You are a special woman with unique and intriguing qualities that drive my desire for you far beyond any imagination. Never in my life until the day I met you have share everything, offer all my love unconditionally, and grow old with someone to one day reminisce of the years we shared together. Just the thought of offering my total heart and spending my life cherishing every moment with you, brings these incredible emotions to me I have never experienced before. My dad once told me, "When it is real, you will know," … I know you're the woman of my dream and destiny is not a matter of chance but a chance one must take. i am just so happy i found you.

Your awesome man,
SSG Fernando.

-------------------------------------------------PHOTOS------------------------------------

Photos from Datehookup.com - All but the last were also on eVow.com

PHOTOS FROM EMAIL

Advertisement

#169084 by latina Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm
Hello. I have been in contact with this man and even met him in face to face in May. He sent me the same message he sent you. He his saying that you aree wrong and that you are the scam. Can you please contact me.
#169086 by Bryon Williams Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners latina,

You were in contact with this scammer? Post his email address and the script he sent you and I will take a look at it.

Who did you meet face to face? The man in the picture or the scammer? Was it on webcam?

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#169087 by latina Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42 pm
I met someone who at least looked like him. He claims to be in Africia now on a mission. I don't have access to my emails as I am at work. I have spoken to him on the phone, email and text for the past month. I can send emails later. I was just speaking to him and he was crying saying that he has been scammed. I don't understand this scam as he has not asked me for anything...yet.
#169088 by Bryon Williams Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:52 pm
If you are emailing the person claiming to be the man in the picture then he is a scammer.

If you are emailing [email protected] you are emailing a scammer.

Red flag: He used the same script with you as the original poster. He has already put himself in Africa.

The money request is on its way. Romance scammers do not ask for money immediately. He may even ask you to be a money mule. Asking you to use your bank account for stolen money. He may even ask you to pick up Western Union or Money Gram payments from his other victims. Scammers will also pretend to send you packages. Either you will receive stolen property or the scammer will introduce you to a fake shipper to get the fake parcel.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#169099 by Dotti Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:51 pm
As others have already said, this is definitely a scammer.

Webcam can be faked. All it takes is existing video of someone who looks even similar to the person in the photos, and inexpensive software. It's not hard to find suitable video on youtube or similar sites, or even sites for actors, etc.

Experienced romance scammers are often much more patient than other types of scammers. While some start asking for money almost immediately, some romance scammers will wait months, even a year, before they start asking for money, items, etc.

A real soldier who is on a secret mission is NOT going to have a lot of time to text and chat with random strangers, even if it is allowed (which is highly unlikely-anyway.) He also is not going to be able to tell some random woman he met online that he is going on a secret mission!

A real soldier is also not going to respond to inquiries about his legitimacy by crying. If he was real and loved you, he would simply provide evidence he is real. But because he can't provide evidence, since he is not real, he pulls the crying tactic to (a) get out of providing any actual proof and (b) put you on the defensive, making you feel guilty for questioning him, and (he hopes) stopping you from asking further questions out of that sense of guilt.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#169212 by Grunt Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:05 pm
email address leads to a profile on

tagged
Fernando H
Tagline: Looking for the right woman, Are you????
Relationship Status: Single
Interested In: Dating, Serious Relationship
Languages: Español - México, English

5 pics uploaded and already posted in this thread

yahoo avatar
#169276 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 am
Welcome to Scamwarners rotary_fever.

There's not too much you can do about it to be honest. Once your photo has been copied by a scammer he can use it any time he likes in spite of the fact that it's illegal, because he's anonymous and usually beyond the reach of the law.

Scammers have abused photos of deceased war heroes and even use the identities of the most senior military figures. No one's going to believe it has anything to do with you and, since the scammer can't be stopped, it's better that we point this out, rather than ignore the matter leaving you to explain to people that have been duped.

Often victims have been so badly duped they really want to contact the real person in the photo, and we have to explain that this is not a good idea. The scammer doesn't care at the upset and problems he causes as he is just out for money.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#169280 by rotary_fever Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 am
Sorry I deleted the post after I put it up. I was warned that this guy using my pictures could very well be a member of this forum. But I did change my fb statuse to private and at least one else outside of my friends will be able to see my pictures. But im truly sorry to the people that fernando has caused trouble with. I am no longer active I just medically retired with 15 1/2 years 90 disability and happly married. I can give details about the pictures and some of the picture you see I have the others ones standing with my wife same place same cloth and everything. So believe me when I say he is NOT FERNANDO. Reserve Soldiers dont do secret misions in Africa and I was a M1A2 Tank comander and right now there are no army Tanks in Africa maybe Marine but I doubt that. Wow this was a great way to start my day lol! One more thing im not Mexican im Puerto Rican
Last edited by rotary_fever on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#169281 by Dotti Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am
Welcome (again) rotary_fever!

I'm sorry that your photos were stolen and used by scammers. As Terrance said, they really don't care who they hurt.

One of the reasons we do post the information is so that we can help confused victims like latina to understand that they have never been in contact with the person whose photos have been stolen.

As for the scammer being a member--our forums are google searchable, which is necessary to ensure that victims or potential victims can find the information. From time to time we do get scammers who believe that they are clever enough to fool us, so they join and attempt to post nonsense. They don't get very far, though, as they are never as capable of fooling us as they believe themselves to be. So there is really nothing to to worry about in that respect.

#169283 by rotary_fever Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 am
Thank you TerranceBoyce and Dotti if there is anythink I can do to help end the confusion for latina or any one else affected by this guy let me know. This is to funny now I can go on and on about this guy and the messed up thing is its MY PICTURES :no-really: :woahdude: :yikes: :squish:
#169296 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 pm
Even the best scammer would struggle to qualify as 'roadkill' and though their admiration for the US army is apparent, playing wannabe behind a PC screen will be the closest they're ever likely to get to the military.

It's tricky to feel pity and disgust for them at the same time, but many of them would struggle to match the average bed bug in an IQ contest and fooling a victim online that they're something they could never be, is probably the best they'll ever achieve in life.

Pity goes out of the window when you see the damage they cause, emotionally and financially, to victims, and that they involve soldiers who have other concerns, like whether they'll see their loved ones again, we try to clear up the mess if we can't prevent it happening.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#169371 by KRM1978 Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:44 pm
Wow, I'm quite satisfied now that i posted my experience. I didn't think the person in the photos would ever know what's going on. So, I guess now that the scammers know that their info is posted, they viewed the replies and sent me another email from the email address [email protected]. I immediately knew by the writing style that it was the scammer again. Also, he states that he got my email from this site, however I used a different email to register here and the scammer sent his email to the one I gave to "Fernando". Here is the email copy:
hello krm1978,
how are you doing this beautiful morning? there has been a serious problem in my family now and has almost led to a divorce from my wife and its as regard the picture of me you posted on scamwarners. my wife got she said i have been unfaithful to her which is not true. All i need you to do is please delete the topic you started at the site. all my friends no longer wanna associate with me, this has caused me a lot of mess now. i had to do a thorough job before getting your mail from the site. my facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/luis.a.hernandez.503. please i would be glad if you can get to delete this mess of mine asap. i am a retired us army soldier, thanks and hope to read from you soon.
Luis Alfredo Hernandez

I'm sure the scammer wants me to remove the posts so they can still use those phone numbers for new scams. I will never do that. I had to change my cell number so they would stop texting me.

Rotary_Fever, I just checked that link to facebook and I was able to view your entire page even though we aren't friends there. You should really check every single setting in facebook if you don't want people to access your info.

Latina, I'm sorry he contacted you. Don't be fooled, I know it sucks. Dating is hard enough with real people, we shouldn't have to put up with these people. I think what really confirmed my uncertainty for me is how quickly he professed I was "the one". If you can't meet someone face to face, you can't trust them 100%.
#169374 by Dotti Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:55 pm
Yep, that's our scammer trying to be clever! I'm glad you recognized it for what it was, a pathetic attempt to salvage his scams. It just goes to show how low they will sink.

He had to use the email he tried to scam you at, because he could not get the email you used to sign up here. There is no way to see other members' email addresses, and scamwarners will never share the email address of a victim or a legitimate poster with anyone without consent.

#169378 by Dotti Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:27 pm
@Rotary_fever:

Could you please confirm whether the facebook page in the scammer's email is yours, or whether it is a fake created by the scammer? I can't take a look at it right now.

If it is yours, please let me know and I can delete the link. If it belongs to the scammer, the more people who report it to facebook as a fake, the better.