Information on romance scams and scammers.
#3173 by ChrisVorascam Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:33 am
I am looking about this email address [email protected]

This address is used by a nigerian scammer who use this picture

I am not the victim and try to help someone who doesn't want to believe that he is a victim and continues to send money !!

The betther way is to find the original models website from where is issued the picture or find someone who knows this scammer.

Thanks
Advertisement

#3175 by ChrisSmith Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 am
It would be very difficult to find one photo on the web. But that does look like a photo ripped from a modelling site - a pretty common tactic used by scammers.

Question. Is the scammer claiming to come from a certain country?
Try telling your friend to trace the full header of an email that the scammer sent.
In Yahoo, you'll normally see a tab somewhere at the bottom that says "View Full Header". Click on that and it will bring up a load of gobbeldygook. But paste that in here - http://headertool.apelord.com/ and with Yahoo, it should tell you the country that the scammer is emailing from.
So if your lad/ladette is claiming to be in Western Europe or America but the header shows Ghana or Nigeria (or even an East European country) your friend should know that it's a scam.

Failing that, point your friend over here. We'll ask a few questions and see what we can find. Your friend won't have to give us any personal details and obviously will remain anonymous.

In the meantime, I'll throw an email at the address and see if anything comes back.

#3176 by ChrisSmith Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:47 am
Right. Got a hit on the email address.

Put "soulmate_wow" into Google (keeping the apostrophies [sp?]).
You'll find 3 pages on scam-sites saying that email address has been used by a love scammer.
The reason the address you've given us has a 9 on the end is because, as the scammer gets found out, his email addresses are closed by Yahoo.
So this guy would have gone:

soulmate_wow
soulmate_wow_1
soulmate_wow_2
soulmate_wow_3
etc....

When Yahoo closes him down again he'll probably come back as soulmate_wow_10.

This looks like your guy here:
http://www.scammerlist.com/memberid/310 ... 067373b9bb

Hope that helps you convince your friend.

#3178 by Ralph Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:06 am
A site called focushawaii is a common place for Nigerian romance scammers to steal photos.

I had a quick look myself in HERE, bella looks similiar but so do a few of the others, take a look you may find her in there.

The header is usually the best way to find out where the email is coming from but we have range of ways to tell scammers emails.

If you could post up the very first email we may be able to find something, failing that we could have someone send an email of love to the address you posted and see what kind of reply we get.

Meanwhile, take a look through the other posts in this forum and see if any of it looks familiar.

As Chris said, having your friend come here is the best way.

I just noticed Chris was off finding the evidence while I was here making conversation and looking at model pictures.

Well, there you go, get your friend to do that search and all the evidence you need will be there for you.

Now that we know for sure it is a scammer it would be helpfull to us and other potential victims of this scammer if the emails were posted here, please ask your friend to consider doing this.

#3179 by Nick Smith Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:33 pm
I'd echo what Ralph said about posting the emails here if you can.

Your initial query didn't show up on google (or at least not the exact email address) but if it was posted here then it will show up in future, and in turn save other potential victims. In my experience, most love scammers have several victims on the hook at any given time.

I hope you can get your friend to see what's going on, good on you for helping him out, that takes some courage.

#3182 by bertrand79 Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:27 pm
If I may...

Lehua does not look at all like this soulmate_wow_09

Or photos were taken at a different age. But we should be able to find on the web the exact same photo the scamer used, right ?

--

#3183 by ChrisSmith Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:59 pm
^^^ Not necessarily. In fact it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. The original photograph may have been taken off the web years ago and the scammer may have just kept the one he used in his documents folder. We hit certain places because, in our experiences, scammers tend to be creatures of habit. The Hawaiian model site that Ralph pointed out is one that they like to use, but that doesn't factor in for a scammer who may use a bit of creativity and get his photos from elsewhere. If that is the case, finding the original photograph is going to be nigh on impossible with what we've got.

Respectfully though, I would say that the models are very similar and there's a good chance that they're the same. No two photographic shoots ever make the model look the same (just look in that portfolio to see what I mean) so I sure wouldn't discount it.

But (and this is a huge but) I don't think that's the issue here anyway. The fact is that this is a scam. The email addresses match up and the fact that somebody is sending money to a stranger at that address points to 100% scam. Even with the limited info that we've been given, I can tell you with certainty that the owner of that email address isn't who they say they are.

We could certainly do with more information from the original poster or the victim to be able to prove to this individual beyond doubt that it is a scam. Some people require absolute proof before they will believe that they are the victim of fraud and without supplying us with more evidence that seed of doubt will always be there, no matter what we advise.

I would ask the original poster to supply us with more information so that we can help put his friend's mind at rest.

#3184 by Chris Martins Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:51 pm
[email protected] shows up on this scammer list:

http://www.scammerlist.com/scammer_prof ... untry.html (under Nigeria; Lagos)

Also here http://www.datingnmore.com/fraud/scam_email.htm (alphabetical listing)

And on many other scam lists and forums, as ChrisSmith pointed out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#3351 by Ralph Wed May 07, 2008 7:29 am
Nice find,

How is your friend going?

If he needs help or advice about the scam feel free to direct him to us.

We like helping :lol: