Information on romance scams and scammers.
#185581 by VNA Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:09 pm
Ok - scam number two for me. Kicking myself.

I was contacted on a dating website by a man called Eric Milner. The website was "Mature Free and Single". The conversation was immediately shifted to email & Yahoo messenger because he doesn't access the dating site often. His profile disappeared after we started talking - which I find strange as try as I may I cannot get the website to take my profile down! Searching his photo reveals he has a number of profiles on RSVP using the same photo with different names, ages and locations.

[email protected]

IP Address = 66.196.118.33

Naturally this is also an Inktomi Corporation, Sunnyvale California IP address. I would not be surprised if Eric and Joseph are the same person trying things on from a different angle.

Eric claims to be a Construction Engineer who lives in Ballarat and is 46 y.o. - he is not too far from where I live. He is a "widower", having lost his wife and daughter during childbirth. He claims to be a US citizen of Spanish descent - he has a strong Spanish accent. He is in Australia trying to make a new start for himself.

He started talking love and marriage very quickly - I pushed back on that a bit given I'd recently copped it from the US Soldier scam (Joseph). Yes there has been intimate chat... photos exchanged. I am an IDIOT.

Anway, we have not met in person - only online and over the phone. He had to fly to the UK to give a presentation to win a construction job - a supermarket / mall to be built in Cardiff. He didn't get that one, but the Arabs who interviewed him offered him a contract in Dubai. He flew to Dubai (so the story goes) to do a site visit, sign the contract etc. Then he went missing for about 4 days over Xmas.

When he recontacted me he claimed to have had all of his baggage stolen at the airport. He only has his passport with him. This was all very distressing for him - but, he did not need me to send him money even though he was living on the goodwill of the hotel manager.

The crunch came this morning when he phoned me at 6 am to go online to chat. He'd also sent me the below email. So - now the emotional pressure is on to send him money. It is not going to happen.

"Hello Honey,

How are you this morning and how was your night?sure you had a wonderful one...just a quick email letting you know i just got back from the meeting with the contractors(Arabs) and it was not a success...they made me understand that i am not going to pay the funds to them..that i will be paying to the work department..as that will be where i will be going to pay the funds....their only concern is to be sure i get the permit having paid the funds. they explained to me i will be getting a lot of profit from the project which is also known to me.this is a really big project and i wouldn't want to loose it for any reason..i know have worked really hard for this and i just want to get something down for the year 2014....its really a hard decision baby, i spoke to the hotel manager here to see what he can possibly raise me pending the time i get my upfront payment out...after all i explained to him , he offered to raise the sum of $3000 for me, which is the
best he can do.that i think is reasonable enough..now have got about $6000 to go...i guess i will have to go through you as that seems to be my only option for now...what can you possibly do for me honey?. would you be willing to loan me the sum of $6000 to sort this out and get my upfront payment for the project....i am gonna pay you back, that i promise....Having said it all, if this is not possible then i might just end it all and let go of the project. Had a deep thought about it all and i had to come up with this idea....i just think if this wouldn't be possible, i should let go of the project and find my way home to you., hoping a better one will come my way in the nearest future....that's more like my best shot.what do you think?i wouldn't want to stress you with my problem at the moment...will have to end it here...and hope to read from you soon.....its really sad though..i had to take in my pride for this decision asking you for such a big
favor..tears dropping...bye for now

Eric..xxoo"
Advertisement

#185583 by Dotti Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm
Hi VNA,

Thank you for posting the scam information about [email protected]

I have also responded in your other thread, but a few quick points specific to this scam:

His profile disappeared after we started talking

Probably removed by the site after another woman reported him for scamming. Unfortunately, those dating sites that do remove scam profiles often do so very quietly, without notifying anyone they contacted or posting any kind of warning.

Naturally this is also an Inktomi Corporation, Sunnyvale California IP address. I would not be surprised if Eric and Joseph are the same person trying things on from a different angle.

Again, this IP only tells you that the scammer used yahoo. While it could be the same scammer (some scammers will immediately approach again with a new character) it is more likely that is was just one of the thousands of other romance scammers hanging out on dating sites.

Yes there has been intimate chat... photos exchanged.

Unfortunately, I do need to warn you that when other methods fail, some scammers will resort to blackmail, especially if intimate photos were shared. I can only say that the best thing you can do is cut off all contact with this scammer so that he cannot reach you. Block email addresses, change phone numbers if necessary. If he can't contact you, he can't blackmail you. If he does attempt blackmail, do NOT give in. He will just continue to demand more and more.

The writing tells me that the scammer is indeed African, not Australian.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#185586 by Smith Jones Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 pm
Dear VNA, this scammer sounds very familiar to me and I'm so glad you did not send any money. Seriously- $6000 to someone you have only met online? Usually they start with a smaller amount and have you build up to it.
Please understand the scammers almost always are widows or widowers, usually have children and you of course are their only hope. I am worried that you sent pictures and as Dotti has said, watch out for the blackmail scam to come next. We can hope not but just beware.
The sole purpose of scammers is to win over your heart, as you well know. They are very good with their words and their tricks to get us wrapped up with them. You will find if you catch one, you will catch many, as they are all over the dating sites these days. They really love the holidays to make money to bring home to their families.
I hope you have cut off contact with this scammer. It doesn't matter how intimate you have been- please just stop. When I tell you that, I know it is hard, even if you understand all this. You are used to communicating with this person at a level that makes you feel good, makes you feel loved and wanted. Please make sure you understand the only reason this happened is to gain your trust and to get your money. That is it.
Please make sure you cut off chat as well as email. I found chat harder to give up. It is addictive and enjoyable because they are masters at it. Give it time and you will understand why it had to stop. I'm glad you came here to scamwarners for help. We do our best to help you see the light and help you stop this.
#332065 by Tigz Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 am
VNA wrote:Ok - scam number two for me. Kicking myself.

I was contacted on a dating website by a man called Eric Milner. The website was "Mature Free and Single". The conversation was immediately shifted to email & Yahoo messenger because he doesn't access the dating site often. His profile disappeared after we started talking - which I find strange as try as I may I cannot get the website to take my profile down! Searching his photo reveals he has a number of profiles on RSVP using the same photo with different names, ages and locations.

[email protected]

IP Address = 66.196.118.33

Eric claims to be a Construction Engineer who lives in Ballarat and is 46 y.o. - he is not too far from where I live. He is a "widower", having lost his wife and daughter during childbirth. He claims to be a US citizen of Spanish descent - he has a strong Spanish accent. He is in Australia trying to make a new start for himself.

He started talking love and marriage very quickly - I pushed back on that a bit given I'd recently copped it from the US Soldier scam (Joseph). Yes there has been intimate chat... photos exchanged. I am an IDIOT.

Anway, we have not met in person - only online and over the phone. He had to fly to the UK to give a presentation to win a construction job - a supermarket / mall to be built in Cardiff. He didn't get that one, but the Arabs who interviewed him offered him a contract in Dubai. He flew to Dubai (so the story goes) to do a site visit, sign the contract etc. Then he went missing for about 4 days over Xmas.

When he recontacted me he claimed to have had all of his baggage stolen at the airport. He only has his passport with him. This was all very distressing for him - but, he did not need me to send him money even though he was living on the goodwill of the hotel manager.

The crunch came this morning when he phoned me at 6 am to go online to chat. He'd also sent me the below email. So - now the emotional pressure is on to send him money. It is not going to happen.

"Hello Honey,

How are you this morning and how was your night?sure you had a wonderful one...just a quick email letting you know i just got back from the meeting with the contractors(Arabs) and it was not a success...they made me understand that i am not going to pay the funds to them..that i will be paying to the work department..as that will be where i will be going to pay the funds....their only concern is to be sure i get the permit having paid the funds. they explained to me i will be getting a lot of profit from the project which is also known to me.this is a really big project and i wouldn't want to loose it for any reason..i know have worked really hard for this and i just want to get something down for the year 2014....its really a hard decision baby, i spoke to the hotel manager here to see what he can possibly raise me pending the time i get my upfront payment out...after all i explained to him , he offered to raise the sum of $3000 for me, which is the
best he can do.that i think is reasonable enough..now have got about $6000 to go...i guess i will have to go through you as that seems to be my only option for now...what can you possibly do for me honey?. would you be willing to loan me the sum of $6000 to sort this out and get my upfront payment for the project....i am gonna pay you back, that i promise....Having said it all, if this is not possible then i might just end it all and let go of the project. Had a deep thought about it all and i had to come up with this idea....i just think if this wouldn't be possible, i should let go of the project and find my way home to you., hoping a better one will come my way in the nearest future....that's more like my best shot.what do you think?i wouldn't want to stress you with my problem at the moment...will have to end it here...and hope to read from you soon.....its really sad though..i had to take in my pride for this decision asking you for such a big
favor..tears dropping...bye for now

Eric..xxoo"

Two days ago i started talking to a man called eric kaldrin from tinder. Every thing you have written is very similar to the story he has told me. Only after 2 days he was saying how glad he was to have met me. That distance wasnt a problem. I live in england and it said he was 8 miles from me but he said he was in kuwait on an oil rig. And that he would retire from the job to be with me. I'm m not stupid so did some searching and found different profiles. I have reported him on tinder but he has made a new account so reported him again.
#332272 by Smith Jones Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 pm
Being a construction engineer allows a scammer to have projects outside the country. They pretend they live close by but are always away on a job. And they often get either their luggage or wallet stolen and, also familiar, will not ask you for money right away. They play on your sympathy for a period of time and then ask for money. Be very careful, as he may become more manipulative to prey on you to send whatever you are willing to do. This also goes with retirement money- they will claim to need money to come home and find any reason to say you should help them.
It's good you went searching when the story didnt add up. Stay vigilent. Scammers exist on all dating sites, no matter what measures they claim to take to either keep you informed or assist with keeping them away
#333361 by Mopho2017 Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:41 pm
I can tell you that "Eric Kaldrin" has just attempted this scam with me tonight. I was a little suspicious right from the start as he wanted my email address. I chatted on WhatsApp for the last four days and he was very good but it led to tonight explaining how he needed to arrange leave from his rig in Kuwait. He needed me to request the leave and pay a release charge of £1380. Haha that's an expensive date! He sent me a copy of his I'D card and employment emails etc. It stunk of scam immediately! Met on tinder. I've reported his account tonight. If anyone wants to know details if you're suspicious of someone let me know. I've emailed our whole chat to my email. Not sure what else we can do to stop these low lives. He's got an email account too. I found it but it's virtually the same as his tinder. He asked me to close my account so we could concentrate on each other and appeared offended when I said no! I'm sort of relieved actually as he as a bit too heavy for me! I hope this prevents someone getting duped! By the way he said his wife died of throat cancer 10 years ago. Has no family. Half Norwegian half Italian. I wanted to upload pics but can't do it.
#333364 by Bryon Williams Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:48 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Please post all of his email addresses, phone numbers and user name on sites.

Post his initial emails to you minus your personal information in other women are searching.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#333368 by Mopho2017 Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm
Tinder name is Eric
Phone number 07495660138
Details to send request for his leave

Family, spouse or friends of every engineers on contract will write an email to the company seeking leave for their individual engineers. After the company have reviewed the request, they will invite the engineer for an interview and after that a date will be given with the leave approval. As you know I don't have any family, you will be the one to write the request. I will compose for you what to write and where to send it xx
The major part of it is that the company will place two charges on this request. The Leave processing fee and the Leave pass charges because I'm an engineer on contract. As you know I can't access anything here on the ocean. But if you can help complete the processing, I will refund back to you whatever it takes. You can confirm this from my employers. You can ask them all you want to know about me. Engr Eric ref S/G/H 3315. Ask them all you want to know about this processing and send it to
[email protected]

1. Leave processing is a fixed amount of £1,380
2.Leave pass..? We wouldn't know the leave pass until the Leave processing has been processed xx
[08/07 21:12] Eric: Leave pass is a card that shows I still have an active contract while I'm away xx
[08/07 21:13] Eric: I will compose the request format for you and you can send it to the company xx
[08/07 21:15] Mary: Sorry I don't have that sort of money!
[08/07 21:17] Eric: It's ok..I just have to let you know how things work here xx
[08/07 21:17] Eric: It doesn't change anything
[08/07 21:18] Mary: I don't understand why it would cost money
[08/07 21:19] Eric: Yes because it's a contract job..The company has paid for my wages and benefits before I came down here..I only owe them my services xx
[08/07 21:20] Mary: Ok. So you can't leave of your own free will??
[08/07 21:21] Eric: The agreement signed was if I have to process my leave before 2019. I will have to go through the company procedures xx
[08/07 21:23] Mary: Ok I'm not sure this will work. You understand my situation. I'm not parting with money or bank details with anyone I'm afraid
[08/07 21:24] Eric: Like I said you have to trust me and you can confirm all about this from my employers
[08/07 21:24] Eric: But it's fine if you don't want to xx
[08/07 21:28] Mary: I'm not happy about having to pay out money especially that amount of money. Sorry
[08/07 21:29] Mary: It's not a case of trust. I don’t know you
[08/07 21:29] Eric: Even when I said I will refund it back when I get to you xx
[08/07 21:31] Eric: 25 Canterbury Cres,Crosspool, Sheffield

The address in Sheffield is supposedly his home address
[08/07 21:15] Mary: Sorry I don't have that sort of money!
[08/07 21:17] Eric: It's ok..I just have to let you know how things work here xx
[08/07 21:17] Eric: It doesn't change anything
[08/07 21:18] Mary: I don't understand why it would cost money
[08/07 21:19] Eric: Yes because it's a contract job..The company has paid for my wages and benefits before I came down here..I only owe them my services xx
[08/07 21:20] Mary: Ok. So you can't leave of your own free will??
[08/07 21:21] Eric: The agreement signed was if I have to process my leave before 2019. I will have to go through the company procedures xx
[08/07 21:23] Mary: Ok I'm not sure this will work. You understand my situation. I'm not parting with money or bank details with anyone I'm afraid
[08/07 21:24] Eric: Like I said you have to trust me and you can confirm all about this from my employers
[08/07 21:24] Eric: But it's fine if you don't want to xx
[08/07 21:28] Mary: I'm not happy about having to pay out money especially that amount of money. Sorry
[08/07 21:29] Mary: It's not a case of trust. I don’t know you
[08/07 21:29] Eric: Even when I said I will refund it back when I get to you xx
[08/07 21:31] Eric: 25 Canterbury Cres,Crosspool, Sheffield

This was some of tonight's WhatsApp messages. Previous was general chat
#333390 by Mopho2017 Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:19 am
Unfortunately no personal email address as I refused to give mine at the start. I said that I'd found his email account, that meant to say Facebook account. Same photo on there and says he's a widow
#333411 by Tim Atem Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:14 am
Thank you for posting. This topic may help:

How to post photos: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

Make sure to mark the photos as stolen/scammer or something.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#347301 by Fdd432 Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:09 pm
I got the exact same words in a text today from a guy. He claims to be working on an oil rig on the Caspian sea. His name is Fabian Gavin and I “met” him through Tinder. He claims to live In Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. He got very upset when I called him out.

[quote="Mopho2017"]Tinder name is Eric
Phone number 07495660138
Details to send request for his leave

Family, spouse or friends of every engineers on contract will write an email to the company seeking leave for their individual engineers. After the company have reviewed the request, they will invite the engineer for an interview and after that a date will be given with the leave approval. As you know I don't have any family, you will be the one to write the request. I will compose for you what to write and where to send it xx
The major part of it is that the company will place two charges on this request. The Leave processing fee and the Leave pass charges because I'm an engineer on contract. As you know I can't access anything here on the ocean. But if you can help complete the processing, I will refund back to you whatever it takes. You can confirm this from my employers. You can ask them all you want to know about me. Engr Eric ref S/G/H 3315. Ask them all you want to know about this processing and send it to
[email protected]