Information on romance scams and scammers.
#214900 by jupa Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 am
Similar story here, only in North Vancouver.......picked a very high end condo complex as his next home..........garbage, nice places tho.............happy you ended up here, even tho it may "sting" a bit emotionally, better than being heartbroken and broke! Be grateful you ended up here! Any pictures??
Advertisement

#219582 by Bryon Williams Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:21 pm
Mike Chuck Fergie is using a new name and email address.

About me: I grew up in Leicester. A part of Leicestershire, which is in the East-Midlands, England. My mother passed away at childbirth, and for some personal reasons my father despised me for it. According to him, whenever he looked at me he would see the person who took his wife away from this world. He was a drunk and a degenerate gambler. My father however remarried 5 years after my mother's passing to the most amazing woman you'll ever meet. She was nothing like my father. Was kind and caring and at the age of 7, when she had taken enough of my father's conniptions and his severe maltreating of me, she took me away from him and we have lived together ever since. You would think he would come after us, but he never did. She raised me and taught me every thing I know today. She adopted me on my 12th birthday and I call her Nana even though she's not my grand mother. I owe everything to her and she is my pillar in life. The Barbarous man passed 17 years ago from cancer, but I never did care much for him. Catherine was a strong woman, and did everything she could to make sure I got a good education and that I did. I attended English Martyrs catholic School in Beaumont Ley, which is also in Leicester, for 3 years and then work moved nana to Warwickshire. I transferred to St. Benedict's where I also played football(soccer)and rugby, as in Leicester. I had to take half-day jobs, so couldn't always make practice and eventually dropped out of the squad. After secondary school, I studied Geology at Coventry University, and eventually went on to get my MSc in Geology and earth science at Warwick University. I am mineral geologist by profession; was a field manager until 2004 when I resigned. Now, I'm an independent consultant.

Not to dampen the mood, I lost my wife and daughter in a car accident 8 years ago, and I haven't been in a serious relationship since then. It had been very difficult for me adapting to my old life without my family and with everything that reminded me of them still around me, I made the decision 5 and 1/2 years after their passing, to make the permanent move away from England.
In November 2011, I departed England. Moving to Canada was a personal choice however, the choice to stay in Montreal was triggered by a business opportunity. Now that's been concluded, the choice to move to Toronto(which happens in about 4 weeks) was entirely Nana's. I probably would have preferred a region more relaxed, like Kelowna or Florida but then again, her happiness comes first. At the moment we've been looking at potential homes and it's been narrowed down to 3, as soon as the precise location's been decided I'll share that with you. I do not speak French, even though it's Montreal's native tongue.

I have worked with a few reputable companies and a lot of mediocre ones in England. The companies in England are usually the subsidiary branches, who usually have umbrella branches or head offices situated in countries worldwide. The first major mining company I worked for is De beers, they are a huge and well respected one at that. I was a researcher/field manager's assistant when I started and I loved the adventure. After my second year of training, I got to travel to South Africa for the first time and it was amazing. I worked there and was offered the post of a researcher after 3 years, but my promotion took so long that I had already applied for a job elsewhere for the post, but the latter paid better. Namco is a Canadian listed mining company, not as huge as De beers, but they were on the prowl for fresh untapped endowment. I was with them for 7 years. In my years of being a researcher, I have travelled to tons of countries; Russia, South Africa, Namibia, Guinea, Ghana, Brazil, India, Australia, Congo and Guyana. I still research when hired by private and potential entities, but my field manager days are behind me. And after relocating, that will be seldom done.

Please forgive me for going on and on for no reason. With time you'll get to see that I'm quite timid and this email was the best way for me to "break the ice."

Where exactly do you reside? What are your hobbies, dislikes, pet peeves? I'd like to know these and more, but we could start there for now. Have a lovely morning

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#219855 by jupa Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 am
Thank you for your work on scams........this guy(or group of people) are very slick, we will never know just how much money has been lost to him/them.........or how many hearts broken......I don't feel the "sting" much now, took awhile........I didn't lose money, caught off guard to say the least. :=)
#221240 by jupa Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:56 am
This is not the same "guy" that I corresponded with, Michael Fergie...........however if they used the same "form" letter maybe the same circle of people perpetuating the "fraud". Thank you for posting, STOP CORRESPONDING WITH HIM, don't tell him you posted here, that way other women will find it. Good luck to you and so happy you found this site BEFORE you were hit up with a money ask!!! Good luck to you!
#221692 by Bryon Williams Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:28 pm
Our scamer Mike Fergie is using a new name and email address. New story, goods stuck in South Africa, urgently needs money. He is doing parcel scams tied to romance scams.

Thomas Lasher [email protected]

And for the decorations,the insurance are not paying anything back. It's held by the customs in South Africa,cause that's where i ordered them from,all i need to do is pay money to them so they can release them and ship them here to me,but they are requesting for too much amount which i don't have. I was going to ask if you can in any way help me with some cash and once i get paid here i will pay you back or i pay back once i get to Canada? I am really in need of it.

Continue to be a good girl for me and i will look for you later.

Hugs and Kisses,

Thomas.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#221747 by sailrgrl Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 am
Sweet Lord! I can't believe I fell for this crap. He's been corresponding with me since 17 Sep and on 2 Oct (probably when he went on to someone else), I asked him why he was moving so fast and was so urgently trying to find out so much about me including asking a thousand questions and pressuring me to talk to him on the phone. Interestingly enough, the two locations in England that he mentioned he had grown up in, so had I (coincidence he was not counting on), but when I mentioned it, he never said anything which I thought was strange. Then he wanted me not to tell any family or friends about him because he was afraid of meddling...

The phone number he gave is registered to a Rogers land line in Montreal (I did a reverse look up). He was supposedly moving to Vancouver from Montreal in 2 weeks and was currently living with his 'nana'/ step mom who rescued him from his ingrate father (obviously he didn't fall far from the tree). What an a--! Glad I figured something was weird when I couldn't find out any info about him anywhere on the internet especially regarding his degrees and work locations, obituaries in England, etc. Did anyone click on the 'fraudulent' box on Match.com to report him after they got an email? I tried but he has already blocked his profile.

SLD.
#221750 by Bryon Williams Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:35 am
Welcome to Scamwarners sailrgrl, Happy to hear you were not scammed by this thief.

Can you please post a couple of his initial emails to you. Please remove any of your personal information from them. Also post his Match ID, email address, phone numbers and pictures used in this scam. Everything is helpful in helping others not to be scammed by him.

#221761 by sailrgrl Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:27 am
Hi Everyone,

Here is some additional info on Collin Lawson - idiot at large!
His Match ID is: jilason and he was using this email with me: [email protected]. Phone: 514-317-8804 in Montreal. As of a week or so ago, only a portion of his email was really visible, when I asked him why, he said that he only wanted to communicate with me. Below are a few of the 'excerpts' of emails that he sent to me.

"There is something I would like to add; I know that it may be overwhelming when we meet someone new and then the excitement grows. It's almost inevitable that we share the news or feelings with our friends, colleagues or family members, but I do wish to say to you that sometimes not all good can from doing so. A friend who had shared her experience with me pertaining online dating had met a man whom she had grown to care for so much, even though they were yet to meet. She then went on to share all about her online escapades with her family who then began to meddle in their relationship; wanting to find out his background, if he made enough money, if he was of the right religion. To cut the story short, he became quite frustrated and his affection for her began to wither. I know this is a stretch and a far cry from where we are, but I suppose you get the moral of the story. My friends are aware that I registered match, and that's because they pushed me to do so; however, I won't be telling them of my progress till I believe I am in a very comfortable place to divulge any information regarding "US."

"Forgive me for not writing sooner. Just before I left the event that evening, I got a call from Nana's nurse at home saying she had fainted and was on the way to the hospital . I drove like a mad man to the hospital and I'm certain to expect a ticket from the coppers at the house anytime soon. Thank the Lord it wasn't as serious as I had imagined. The doctor said she had a minor heart attack :=) and she needs to take it easy from now on. I don't think I have been as frightened as I was when I received that call in a long time. Perhaps we should begin to consider voice calls as a better means of communication. Have a good day dear and know that my thoughts are with you. Cheers. "

"There's so much we don't know about each other, but I'm patiently looking forward to our first meeting. However, before then, how about a few more questions?

What's your favourite colour?
Favourite meal?
Favourite movie of all time?
When was the last time you were on a date?
Where exactly do you reside?
What are your hobbies, dislikes, pet peeves?
Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
How happy are you with your appearance?
What is the one thing you like most about yourself?
What is the one thing you regret the most in your life?
Do you feel closer to your mother or father?
Do you still talk to any of your childhood friends?
Do you believe in second chances?
How do you feel about church and religion?
Are you satisfied with where you are in your life financially?
Where is your favourite vacation place to go?
Do you consider yourself outgoing?

"Hello xxxx, and please know that your kind words were greatly appreciated. Nana and I just returned home about 30 minutes ago. I stayed in her room for a little while till she fell asleep then I hurried to send you an email. It's apparent you were on my mind a lot so I'd rather not kid myself as I did boot the computer immediately I stepped into the house. I would like you to know I am attracted to the person I'm corresponding with, immensely and only meeting in person will make it all a reality. I hope...no, I pray that the feeling is mutual when we meet. Do you feel the same way or am I floating alone in the ocean?" ....lol, you're floating alone buddy.

" To share more about my past, I was married to Perpetua for 26 years, but we were together for 30. My daughter was 24 when she passed. Catherine's very much alive at 81. She was a smoker for a very long period in her life and although it's affected her health a little, she's quite the healthy woman I must say. She made the move with me, and sincerely this was her choice, as I had preferred Melbourne, in Australia. She'll probably be the liveliest female at her age that you'll know. She watches movies, probably as much as I do. She reads and is cooking half the time she's home. As for my father, although I didn't forgive him before he passed, I certainly have found peace now."

"Now I know I've been asking quite a lot of questions, and I do have one more; what is it you seek in a life-time partner?"

"I'm quite open to a fault and I dwell on sincerity. I might be a wee-bit timid, but I definitely tell it as it is. I don't keep a lot of friends, because I detest dishonest people :bondage: and the ones I have are like family to me whom I trust with everything. "

"I do wish to ask, how was your experience on match.com? Sad to say, mine was nowhere rosy, I received an extraordinary amount of emails which I thought was ridiculous since there was no way I would have been able to read 67 emails. I scanned through and thought you had a beautiful profile which is why we are corresponding now and for the record, you're the only one I'm communicating with and I hope that's the same with you. " This was actually something that made me think twice because I did not send him an email at all. The only way he would have seen my profile was by trolling the site looking for a sucker..... :laugh-s:

I hope these emails help the next person out there figure out what a scammer looks and sounds like. One piece of advice is this: if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.!!!

sld.