Information on romance scams and scammers.
#193478 by Jkaylward Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:33 am
I was on Perfectmatch.com and contacted by this guy. We have been emailing p, texting and talking for 3 weeks. Now he says he has to go yo Cairo. But lost his valuables in the taxi. He wants me to send to him an iphone5 unlocked and an iPad mini with retina also unlocked and a few personal,items underwear and tshirts. He says he can't Skype from there because his laptop camera is broken.
I let home know there is an apple store in Cairo where he can buy the things he wants. He says die to unrest the the Apple store near go him is closed. ?
* I know I shouldn't send him what he wants but there us so much pressure!
If I post the emails can you tell anything about them?

PLEAS HELP,
I searched on the internet and his email doesn't appear anywhere. But he has nor contact anywhere. Noting on Linked in or Facebook?
The email is either [email protected] or [email protected]
Advertisement

#193483 by AlanJones Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:11 am
Hi, it is a definite scam.

Why would someone need to ask a stranger who they've only known a few weeks to help them? Does he have no long time friends or family that can send him the items.

The reason he can't Skype is because he is a young black man in Africa rather than the white man he claims to be.

Just block his emails and don't respond to him, then he can't pressurise you.

Please do post the emails he sent and any photos as well.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#193564 by Smith Jones Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 pm
Hi Jakylward, welcome here to scamwarners. This is a variation on a scammer asking a victim for money. It all sounds so plausible and you care about the health and well being of this person, so why not help them? It is only a trick with a lot of interesting reasons to get you to send the goods. And once they decide you should help them, they are very very pushing on insisting you do so. Please make sure you have cut off contact with the scammer, who only cares about his lies and seeing if you will follow through with him.
My guess is you had a lot of conversations over those 3 weeks and have developed a relationship with this professional liar. Please make sure you understand that it wasn't just the goods he was after. He was after your heart and your wallet. This would have just been the first of many requests. The goal is to make you care for them while they are saying they care for you. Remember the entire reason for this is money. That is all. No matter what he has said, no matter what he has promised, that is the sole goal. So make sure you are not in contact any more. He will try to convince you, if this time you don't do anything, all is well. And then something else will happen. And there will always be one more thing.
#193748 by ratt84 Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 am
To [email protected]
Opened 2014/03/11
Location Accra, Ghana (86% likelihood) :=)
Opened on (41.189.161.39:43967)

Hi.Who are you please?

Received: from [199.114.222.236]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014
IP: 199.114.222.236
ISP: MadeIT
Organization: MadeIT
Type: Corporate
State/Region: Ohio
City: Dublin
#193751 by ratt84 Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:43 am
Oh I remember now. I in the MiddleEast. Can you send me some pictures of you?
James.

Received: from [199.114.222.104]
#193754 by ratt84 Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 am
Thanks for the picture. Well I took my profile off from the site. No luck for me yet. Have you found anyone on there yet?

I don't have much pictures of me but here are a few. Hope you like it.

Do you mind texting me, that would be very helpful.. here is my number 757-655-1996

James.

Image Image

Received: from [41.189.161.41] :lol:
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014
#231943 by balo39 Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:09 pm
This guy is still at it He contacted me on Match.com last night. I had a lengthy google chat conversation with him. He honestly was too good to be true and that why I started searching today. Came across your post with the same photo. He told me his name was Frank. His email used was [email protected] and he had two different phone numbers - one from FL and one from CA. I asked him why today and he never responded. Disappointing that people have nothing better to do than try to scam other people.