Information on romance scams and scammers.
#197529 by dragonblazesting Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:52 pm
Hello everyone,

I am new here and hope you can help me. I got taken by a guy claiming to be a general in the army. He claimed he wanted me and that he needed money to get paperwork in order to ome home. Please help me, I need my money back.
Thank you

dragonblazesting
Advertisement

#197532 by AlanJones Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 am
Im sorry, but the money will have been sent by an untraceable method such as Western Union or Moneygram, so there is no way of getting it back.

Please can you post the email addresses that the scammer uses and examples of the emails and any photos that he sent.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#197573 by tazmanian Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am
I'm very sorry this happened to you but as Alan has said, the very sad truth is that there is no way to get your money back. All we can do is try to stop someone else having the same traumatic experience. You can help by posting the emails and any other details of the scammer that you encountered.
#197993 by Smith Jones Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:34 pm
Hi dragonblazesting, it is hard to deal with the reality of being scammed by a romance scammer. Military scammers love to use this excuse and they prey on our love for a soldier's courage and heart for serving our country. You will not get the money back as stated but there is something more that was damaged beyond your bank account. It is your heart and your mind. That you will find is harder to deal with than the money. When you realize you have been harmed by a professional liar, it is a harsh reality. It happens every day and while my scammer wasn't posing to be in the military, he wove a lovely story that had me totally hooked and sending him money too. And my heart hurt for a long time after- I had envisioned a great new life, great new love. All gone once I came here and saw I was scammed. Yet that started my healing too. I knew the truth. I saw that, even though I felt stupid and ashamed, it isn't about that. It happens to the best of us. You just opened your heart and the scammer took advantage of you.
If you can post some of the emails and pictures, you can give the advantage to someone else to see they are being scammed and stop it too. Let us know if you need any help doing that.
#198039 by coinpuppy Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:12 am
Everyone is right, the money is gone. It is sadly an expensive lesson. The scammers are in West Africa and there is no way to prosecute them. You need to be careful now, more than ever, because you are now knows as an "easy target" and you most likely will recieve more scams, also if anyone tells you they can get you your money back, be warned it is ANOTHER SCAM....there is NO WAY to recover the money.