Information on romance scams and scammers.
#3640 by ScamIam Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:08 am
Hey all, This came to me from a myspace friend request. I contacted myspace security who replyed that this profile was to be deleted. The message came from "mary demxy" / email: [email protected] ; this is a Love Scam. Very clever one though; said "Mother sick in hospital, she loves me, she is a Christian who goes to church , lives in Lagos, Nigeria, etc.". Then after 3 weeks, and about 20 emails later says she will be evicted for not paying rent and wants me to send money! I replyed NO 2 times. She emails me back "scam" to get my credit card # so a friend can send her money. She had me ok until she requested money, :o then the BIG RED FLAG went up. Question: Is there any agency I can notify about this? Last night I got mad and deleted all messages and contacts for this scam.

HELP ME!
Advertisement

#3643 by Crispy Duck Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:45 am
Is there any agency I can notify about this?

Sadly, the answer is not really. You have informed 'myspace' & they will delete the profile, but the scammer will probably bounce back with maybe another name or profile.

Most of the time, it is a man pretending to write as a female - & often with stolen photos. You may like to check one of the romance scam sites (such as www.romancescam.com/forum) where there is specific information about known scammers & the pictures they use.