Information on romance scams and scammers.
#202328 by Carein Lalonde Wed May 21, 2014 2:49 am
Hi everyone. I wanted to know if anyone knows or also thinks if the guy I will be talking about in this post is a scam. I'll be posting all the information I have been able to get so far in case anyone has seen this person(?) before.

I just started talking to a guy on facebook, who requested to be my friend, named Thomas Bratt. We have been talking for a few weeks now, and I started noticing some red flags that are typical of scams. I first noticed that he didn't have any information about himself posted other than a few photos. He told me that he was a US soldier stationed in Lybia, originally from Las Vegas, Nevada, and has a daughter and had a wife that passed away from cancer. He said that he couldn't Skype or video chat with me due to his computer not having a camera in it. After a while, he started calling me names (i.e. baby, sweetie, etc.) and started complimenting me. I soon found out that he was much older than me, and I told him my age. A few days passed without him messaging me back and he started saying that he wanted to still try a relationship because he felt a strong connection to me. To sum up the last two weeks or so, I just realized recently that none of the pictures on his profile, which have 'him' in uniform, have his posted name on them. The name of the man in the uniforms in the picture seems to be 'Pickett'. (Whoever this Picket guy is, I feel sorry for him for his picture being stolen.) This got me very curious and he just asked me to send him sixty dollars to a Wells Fargo account in El Paso, Texas that isn't in his posted name. (The name of the account he gave me was Juanita Vega.) I haven't sent any money yet, since I am still suspicious of what is going on, and hope that someone here can help me figure out what is going on.
Advertisement

#202331 by AlanJones Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 am
"He told me that he was a US soldier stationed in Lybia, originally from Las Vegas, Nevada, and has a daughter and had a wife that passed away from cancer."

The above was all I needed to confirm it is a scam - its a standard scammer fairystory - and the rest of your post just confirmed it.

Please post his email address and the Facebook profile he uses and a sample of the mails he has sent to you as they will be scripted.

If you can also PM a Mod with the details where he provided the bank account, they will ensure it is dealt with appropriately.

The best thing to do is just block him. Don't tell him you know he is a scammer or how you know - he will just try to deny it and yo'll be educating him for the future.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#202338 by Carein Lalonde Wed May 21, 2014 3:17 am
AlanJones wrote: "Please post his email address and the Facebook profile he uses and a sample of the mails he has sent to you as they will be scripted." ... "If you can also PM a Mod with the details where he provided the bank account, they will ensure it is dealt with appropriately."

First of all, thank you for confirming what I suspected. I really appreciate it.

As for what posting his email and Facebook profile, as well as PMing a Mod, I am not sure how to do that quite yet. Like I said earlier, I am still really new to all this, and this is the first time I have been scammed, so I am still fumbling around, wondering how to do all of this.
#202340 by AlanJones Wed May 21, 2014 3:26 am
You can copy and past the content of an email and paste it here. All we need are the emails, email addresses and a link to his facebook profile (just view it and copy the URL in the address bar).

To PM a mod, their names are in Green, so find one who has posted recently and just click on their name and there will be an option to send a Private Message to them - again just copy and past the information into the message.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#202352 by Bryon Williams Wed May 21, 2014 4:06 am
As Alan Jones has posted it is a scam. Please post the email address, photos and emails he used. Remove any of your personal information from the emails.

The person that he asked you to send money to is also a victim of his romance scam.

You can send me the information if you wish to help other women.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/