Information on romance scams and scammers.
#218915 by Debbie Smith Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:49 pm
I believe I have been caught up in an on-line dating scam to have money sent to Acura, Ghana...
The name that is being used is George Hawkins and I have his picture, but I don't think this is who I am talking to. He is a chaplain and told me he is on an international peace-keeping mission in Afghanistan and he will retire in 3 months and come home and marry me, etc. etc. I can also see by his picture that he is a Lt. Col. - I have already sent $400 to him because he said his daughter is in Ghana for mission work and needed the money because her caretaker was not available. He gets defensive when I ask him questions, he answers in broken English, and today he asked me for $1,100.00 (wants it sent western union). Someone is using this fellows picture to carry out a scam and I want it stopped! He has a gmail address and I met him on match.com. I have done my research and all this fits the "scam" profile.

Can you help me or tell me what I should do? I am already out the $400, but I don't want them to continue to dishonor this fellow who is a true chaplain for OUR country....
Advertisement

#218977 by Debbie Smith Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:28 pm
George Hawkins [email protected] :Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:18 AM subject: Re: Good Morning
Hi Darling,Am very happy to hear this from you my love and am very happy your son has agreed and is happy as my daughter as well, tell him God has a hand in this relationship and everything is going to work out well for us okay. i do love you very much and i will never stop living you will death do us part. I love you very much Deb and i will always do. have a nice and a lovely day my dear and remember you are in my mind forever.George
Last edited by Bubbles on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Merged this post to keep this information in one place
#218984 by Debbie Smith Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:00 pm
Return-Path: <[email protected]>Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 10.152.207.99 as permitted sender) client-ip=10.152.207.99
Authentication-Results: mr.google.com;

This one is a priceless love letter straight from a romance web site.. word for word - what a piece of work!
I am embarrassed to say this lured me in further. Didn't even look to see if it was an on-line romance letter until AFTER I had already sent $400! It is so true NEVER SEND MONEY TO SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW! especially if it is to Accra, Ghana... this is a scam capital of the world!!! This was sent to me August 25 met him August 9th. His poor daughter needed help or she would be stuck somewhere in Africa with no help!!!!

Good Morning My Love, Baby there are things in life that are inevitable; I am powerless to control them. The Sun will rise and set, the tide will come in and go out, the seasons will change, the birds will fly South for the winter and return in the spring, and the caterpillar will transform itself into a (beautiful) butterfly. Somehow, I feel reassured by this because many other things in life are so transient - so momentary. From the moment we met, I knew that our friendship would develop into something lasting and precious. Baby, I believe that our love is blessed ordained, by God. It is a union of two spirits destined for everlasting happiness. Thus, you have truly become the star of my life, which brings me light in this dark world, and warmth when I need it. You offer me the promise of renewal, the joy of living, the peace of mind that comes from sharing and caring, and that shoulder to lean on in times of stress. You are my Swallow from Capistrano - my precious butterfly, and I will cherish you and love you forever. As you know baby, it is very important for me to express to you how much you really mean to me. I wish I could do this in person while holding you in my arms and gazing into your beautiful eyes. But since we are physically separated by miles of emptiness, this expression of my love must come in the form of letters such as this. I know it is difficult for you, as it is for me, to be separated. Life seems to be full of trials of this type, which test our inner strength, and more importantly, our devotion and love for one another. After all, it is said that "True Love" is boundless and immeasurable and overcomes all forms of adversity. In truth, if it is genuine, it will grow stronger with each assault upon its existence. Baby, our love has been assaulted many times, and I am convinced that it is true because the longer I am away from you, the greater is my yearning to
be with you. You are my (enchanted Queen), and I am your devoted (King). I cherish any thought of you, praise any memory of you that rises from the depths of my mind, and live for the day when our physical separation will
no longer be. Until that moment arrives, I send to you across the miles, my tender love, my warm embrace, and my most passionate kiss. Yours forever, kisses for Infinity I love you George
#219191 by Smith Jones Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 pm
Hi Debbie Smith, it is always especially hard to watch the scammers dishonor someone who is serving our country. You have been very helpful by posting the information you did here. While you can't directly stop the scammer, you have provided enough that someone else can search on here and find out the lies they are told and stop their scam too.
#371073 by Linda-kay Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 am
I came across George two weeks ago on a dating website plentyoffish . We hit it of straight away. We started corresponding on WhatsApp. He sent me photos and videos. He was a leutenant George Hawkins of a peace keeping force with the American army in Kabul Afghanistan. He was coming back to UK the end of August 18 . When he will have retired . He was half American and half Spanish. He was widowed seven years ago through a car accident. He has two sons I saw the pictures. And a grandson saw a picture. I had a niggle in the back of my head telling me to check him out. That was because last night he said he loved me. So I did some checks and ended up on scamwarners. I was so choked to think he had caught me out thinking romance was alive for someone my age. I sent a message earlier and he replied told me I must trust him. So I pressed the video on WhatsApp and called him. He answered no face and the voice was different to what I had heard him speak. George was American this man was foreign. So I have been had. I feel stupid gullible and very hurt. The real George was lovely looking as well. I was lucky no money changed hands. So be careful lady’s don’t be a old fool like me