Information on romance scams and scammers.
#3863 by sanann58 Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:40 am
I was scammed by someone claiming he was born in U.K. and was now in Africa working in construction. He claimed he was moving to states. I received warning e-mail and now know that he was scamming me. My question is, I have been receiving messages from different men from the singlesnet dating site. I have had a few from men claiming they are working in South Africa. Some I know have been scammers, because of the quality of their e-mails and just different things they have said. I have talked a few times with one man. He says he is from U.K. lives here in the States, but travels with his job. His name is Barry Jones. He says this is the final trip he will take, then move to U.S. for good. We have only just started communicating. I just want to know if there are any legitimate men who travel to South Africa for work? I don't want to delete everyone that mentions Africa, but also don't want to waste time and be scammed a second time.
Advertisement

#3864 by Ralph Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:58 am
Very sorry to hear you have been scammed in this way,

I have no doubt there are some real men working in Africa and looking for love, unfortunately they seem few and far between, I am yet to see one but then I am not actually looking for them either.

If you take a look through our forums and in Particular the love scam forum, you will find many examples of scammers operating this type of scam.

You could do some searches like I showed with the last scammer you mentioned or of course you could post details here for us to help

A few simple rules you should follow.

always view every person you meet on the internet with suspicion
Never send money to persons unknown (or known only via the internet)
Do not send your own personnal details to persons unknown
Do not cash checks or money orders and do not recieve money into your bank account.

You may also wish to visit this thread at www.419eater.com Click here where you will find lots of information on how to spot a scammer as well as ways to get some revenge if you are so enclined

Again, without the email address and early email I can only take a stab in the dark, but here is a few results that may be relevant for this one Click Here If my stab in the dark is correct, your scammer in this case will ask you to cash some checks shortly, if he hasn't already. these cheques will be fake but may well pass the initial clearance at the bank giving you access to the money, the scammer will tell you to forward the money to him, most likely via Western Union or another untacable method, you wont see your money again and the bank will soon want their money back leaving you as the person responsible, we know of many cases where people have actually ended up in jail as a result of this scam being perperated on them.
If you post some more details we can most likely find more accurate information
Last edited by Ralph on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

#3888 by ColinWarrins Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:32 pm
Hi San. I think I know this scam. He is going to travel "one last time" to S. Africa (or wherever) and all will be well. Then a couple days in, he is going to tell you horrible news about how his room was ransacked and all of his belongings (and money) taken. He's only able to email you as his "assistant" is loaning him a laptop. Then he will hit you up for money. This type of scammer can be very patient and as such, can take a lot of money.

If you wouldn't mind, post one of his emails to you here and I can tell you if it's the same format.

Email: Colin.Warrins at Scamwarners dot com

#3893 by Dan Jones Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:37 pm
One thing i might add about them being persistent. There is a thread on the above mentioned site where a woman talked to a guy for two and a half years before he hit her for money.

The internet is anonymous, always look for holes in their stories and search all of their details. If something doesn't add up don't tell them, it will only mean they try harder to get it right later on. Which may fool you or another victim. If they seem bogus, or ask for money then drop all contact with them, block them. There are always plenty more fish in the sea.

I wish you luck with your future searches. Don't mistrust everyone forever, but always look after number one first.