Information on romance scams and scammers.
#225754 by Grunt Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:14 am
Grunt wrote:contacted victim on matchdoctor
claims to be currently
on a peace keeping mission to Syria :=)
profile deleted
no profile image

Demerais49
54-year-old Male
Seeking Women: 30 - 60
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Last Activity: Today
where is part of me?????

about myself:
'm on internet here looking for the love of my life, someone who is trust worthy, caring, loving, and down to earth. I don't play games with people’s feelings or emotions, nor do I put up with people playing with my feelings. I’m very sensitive, kind, gentle, loving, affectionate, and loyal. I don’t lie or manipulate people, as I don’t want to be lied to either. I have a lot of integrity, morals, and values. I live according to my convictions, as they make me who I am today. I’m loyal…to a fault. All my friends say it – even their girlfriends do. I believe in being 100% faithful to a relationship and giving it my all to smooth out any rough patches. I’m looking for long term relationship. I do know that it takes time and effort to build a solid relationship. I guess because I am scared of suffering another heart break and the games. I am not looking for a fling or casual dating. I am looking for something that can lead to a future together.

willing to relocate: Yes
marital status: Single
seeking relationship: Marriage
education: High school
ethnicity: Caucasian
speaks: English
living status: Living alone
has children: Yes
how many: One
about my children:
My child is 6 years old but he's not living with me .
wants children: Yes, probably
job: Political/Govt/Civil Service/Military

about my work:
My name is Craig Demarais and I am a Sergeant in the United States Army. I am a Recruiter in North Richland Hills Texas. My partner and I are responsible for Haltom High School, Keller High School as Carroll Senior High School as well as Shannon Learning Center and the Northeast Campus of Tarrant County College. I have served in the Army for 6 and a half years. I attended Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training at Fort Sill Oklahoma beginning in July 2007 after 2 years of Army ROTC at the University of North Geoegia...a tier 2 military academy. I am a 13T or Field Artillery Surveyor and Meteorologist officially. My only duty assignment before becoming an Army Recruiter was Fort Carson Colorado with 2nd Battalion 77th Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team 4th Infantry Division. From there I deployed to Afghanistan twice in the Northeast region along the Pakistan border. My first tour was May 2009 to June 2010 as a machine gunner for a counterinsurgency maneuver platoon

the person I would like to meet:
I'm on internet here looking for the love of my life, someone who is trust worthy, caring, loving, and down to earth. I don't play games with people’s feelings or emotions, nor do I put up with people playing with my feelings. I’m very sensitive, kind, gentle, loving, affectionate, and loyal. I don’t lie or manipulate people, as I don’t want to be lied to either. I have a lot of integrity, morals, and values. I live according to my convictions, as they make me who I am today. I’m loyal…to a fault. All my friends say it – even their girlfriends do. I believe in being 100% faithful to a relationship and giving it my all to smooth out any rough patches. I’m looking for long term relationship. I do know that it takes time and effort to build a solid relationship. I guess because I am scared of suffering another heart break and the games. I am not looking for a fling or casual dating. I am looking for something that can lead to a future together.
Advertisement

#225757 by Grunt Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:22 am
same scammer has a profile on mingle2
Demarais42
"Hi.."
42 year old man from Craigdemarais42, Illinois
Looking for woman for marriage

HiMy name is Craig Demarais and I am a Sergeant in the United States Army. I am a Recruiter in North Richland Hills Texas. My partner and I are responsible for Haltom High School, Keller High School as Carroll Senior High School as well as Shannon Learning Center and the Northeast Campus of Tarrant County College. I have served in the Army for 6 and a half years. I attended Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training at Fort Sill Oklahoma beginning in July 2007 after 2 years of Army ROTC at the University of North Geoegia...a tier 2 military academy. I am a 13T or Field Artillery Surveyor and Meteorologist officially. My only duty assignment before becoming an Army Recruiter was Fort Carson Colorado with 2nd Battalion 77th Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team 4th Infantry Division. From there I deployed to Afghanistan twice in the Northeast region along the Pakistan border...

Profession: Security personnel
EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Marital Status Divorced
Have Children? No
Want Children? Undecided/open

#233521 by Craig Demarais Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 pm
Moderator or admin,

I am the real Craig Demarais and I can prove this. How can I go about getting these fake profiles removed from match doctor. I have had several women contact my wife due to these scammers. I had that information on a profession Facebook I setup bc I am an Active Duty Army Recruiter. I'm trying to work backwards to get these rectified. Thank you in your potential help.

v/r
The real Craig Demarais
#233604 by Dotti Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:28 pm
Welcome Craig,

I am sorry that you too have ended up being a victim of these scammers. One of our main goals here is to make sure that the targets of these scammers understand that the photos and names are stolen, but there are always some that either don't find us or just don't understand how distressing unwanted contact can be to the person in the photos and his/her family.

Like many dating sites, it looks like matchdoctor is one of those that makes it impossible to report a profile as fake unless you open a profile for yourself. If you want to go that route, you would report through here:
http://www.matchdoctor.com/reportAbuse.aspx It is possible that one or more of the victims have already reported the fake profile and the the site just hasn't taken action for some reason. believe the profile may be gone now, but that won't stop the scammers from creating another.

If you notice, the 2nd profile that Grunt posted is on Mingle2--so the scammers are branching out. Unfortunately, this is very common, and the sad reality is that for every profile we find, there are most likely more we haven't.

It looks like Mingle2 has an external contact form here: http://mingle2.com/welcome/contact_us

In both cases, as you are clearly being impersonated, you have the right to insist that action be taken.

For future, there are a few actions that you can take. They won't eliminate the problem but they may help.

1) set up google alerts in your name and/or other unique content that is stolen from you, so that you are automatically notified when new content is picked up by google.
2) periodically do an image search (I would do both google and tineye) on any photos you have that are publicly posted.
3) Consider watermarking your photos if you are comfortable with this. The easiest way to do this is to set up a free email address that only you (and your wife if you want her to be able to monitor) can access. Watermark it onto the photo the way we did "used by scammer" You want it to cover the photo in such a way that the scammer will not be able to remove it without extreme editing (which they generally will NOT do) or cropping the photo in a ridiculous way. This will deter most scammers from using the photo. Then if they do use the photo and contact anyone, the recipient can contact you to verify the activity or transaction is legitimate. This won't fix a photo already in the scammer's hands, but it would prevent future photos from being used and prevent other scammers from picking up your photo as well. This is a more extreme measure, but might ultimately be worth it.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#238838 by Craig Demarais Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 pm
UPDATE...the below (previous) post...the okcupid profile has been removed.

Dotti,

Another one has popped up. I was just contacted today by a female saying my profile picture was being used on OKCUPID. What do you need from me in order to post it on this site? I am awaiting the female to reply with specifics...
Last edited by Craig Demarais on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#241486 by Craig Demarais Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:34 pm
PROFILE HAS BEEN DELETED.

Grunt wrote:same scammer has a profile on mingle2
Demarais42
"Hi.."
42 year old man from Craigdemarais42, Illinois
Looking for woman for marriage

HiMy name is Craig Demarais and I am a Sergeant in the United States Army. I am a Recruiter in North Richland Hills Texas. My partner and I are responsible for Haltom High School, Keller High School as Carroll Senior High School as well as Shannon Learning Center and the Northeast Campus of Tarrant County College. I have served in the Army for 6 and a half years. I attended Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training at Fort Sill Oklahoma beginning in July 2007 after 2 years of Army ROTC at the University of North Geoegia...a tier 2 military academy. I am a 13T or Field Artillery Surveyor and Meteorologist officially. My only duty assignment before becoming an Army Recruiter was Fort Carson Colorado with 2nd Battalion 77th Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team 4th Infantry Division. From there I deployed to Afghanistan twice in the Northeast region along the Pakistan border...

Profession: Security personnel
EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Marital Status Divorced
Have Children? No
Want Children? Undecided/open