Information on romance scams and scammers.
Advertisement

#29339 by bleh Wed May 26, 2010 12:12 am
Think best way is photobucket and then link here ....... IMO
Been a while since I have been here ...
Think I'm gonna go back to 419eaters and cause some trouble for these fewls !

I really can't believe he is still at it with the same ol song and dance ...
lol did you make him call you yet ? (Waste his money and time)
You will save someone maybe by wasting his time and resources.
Do it ... you will die laughin if you haven't =D
*hugs*
#29340 by Jillian Wed May 26, 2010 12:15 am
Welcome kjm! Glad to hear you found this info. :D

To post photos here, please read this topic which explains it in some detail: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

Regarding bleh's comment (Hi bleh :D ):

lol did you make him call you yet ? (Waste his money and time)
You will save someone maybe by wasting his time and resources.

This is a reference to scambaiting, which is the focus of our sister site, 419Eater.com. Baiting a scammer to waste their time and resources should only be done anonymously. It's referred to as "baiting safely". We do not encourage engaging with scammers using accounts/phone numbers connected to your real life information. For more information please see 419Eater.com

Let us know if you have any questions here about the scam. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#29342 by bleh Wed May 26, 2010 12:28 am
/wave Jillian !!!
Yeah, I was really messing with *Roscoe* back in 2008 ... saying I was sending money to this place and that place ...
had him runnin all over willy nilly ............... making him call ... saying I sent it .. did you use this password .. then i would change it up ... saying OH i meant green not blue etc ....

Was actually kinda funny to be the one duping them ....*snickers*

Great thing you are doing here still ... glad to see it is all still active in helping those who think something is up with mr./mrs. perfect.
My hats off to you my dear !!! Keep up the great work.
#29343 by kjm Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 am
Thanks ladies! We had only used instant messaging for a couple days and I had enough doubt about his story. Widower, poor wife died in childbirth and the baby didn't make it either. Both his parents have passed on and he's so lonely for someone to open up to. He inherited money but that doesn't buy happiness you know. Said he's been busy being a consultant for a brazilian pagent coordinator who is wanting diamonds and help designing the crown. Oh, I need a passport because he wants to whisk me to brazil for the pagent as his guest. He started typing to me days ago and now we are off to brazil?! I am glad I didn't waste any more of my time...although it would have been amusing to play along and see how much further into udder outrageousness he would go!

I will work on marking the photos as scams and post them soon. Bet he's moved on to new ones.
All the best -
K
#29385 by angel31 Wed May 26, 2010 2:00 pm
I was just a victim of him myself said all the right things. And a very familiar letter:
Hey sweetheart,
I do not know how to express the conflicting emotions that have surged like a storm through my heart all night long. I only know that first and foremost in all my thoughts has been the glorious confirmation of my loving feelings towards you because of the good time you give me always whenever you called or we get chatty online - without effort, unconsciously, of course -you make me feel like I'd known you in a lifetime before.

You have the greatest soul, the noblest nature, the sweetest, most loving heart I have ever known, and my love and admiration for you have increased so much since we’ve known each other that it still amazes me what you have done to make you won my heart over to you so easily.You are more wonderful and lovely in my eyes and my pride and joy and gratitude will be that you should love me with such a perfect love that's beyond all expression.

If only I could have come up with the right words to describe the depth of this beautiful feeling that I have for you, I would have to whisper them to you when we meet. The best thing that I can do is to show you now through writing.I love you so much, SUNSHINE. You are the best thing that ever happened to me. You are like the best poetry ever composed, the best song ever played, the best picture ever painted. I never thought that someone like me could get so lucky! and never knew there'll be someone that'll make me sit down to write this beautiful words all because I can't just keep this feelings within and just need to let it out of me and must let you know how deeply I LOVE YOU.I know this might sound unbelievable considering the fact we've not met before in person but I know it's time that'll make you decide if to follow my path or not as I am sure about my feelings and will believe you felt the same way too judging from the way you sound on the phone whenever you called or I call you.I just can't wait to see what the chemistry will be like in person as I already feel so connected with you that I can't do without constantly thinking about you.

From the very first moment we chatted, I felt like we were destined to be together. It has been so long since a woman has captured my attention so fully or made my heart beat the way it did,You light up my entire spirit,you fills me with joy, and your mere presence will warm any room I am sure. I have no doubt you are the woman Heaven has made especially for me.

I am sure with each passing day that our love for each other can only grow stronger. Although I know it’s hard for us to be apart,but I know there is nothing that can keep us apart forever. Our desires will continue to stretch across any distance, over every mountain and ocean between us. Nothing can stand between us, and nothing will stop me from meeting you.

Thank you for the comfortable conversations and for allowing me to be a part of your day. Most importantly, thank you for opening up your heart for me and wanting me to be a part of you and he kids future. No matter how slowly or at what distance our courtship develops, I know standing before God and our future family, vowing to be your partner for life, was the easiest decision I could have ever made.

I just couldn't stop smiling because you've made me feel completed for having you in my life.I am keeping you locked in my heart and there you'll remain forever till death do us part.I'll hope to read from you by the time I get back here and would go get something now and would be thinking about you and how sweet it'll have been to be with you right now.Thanks so much my loving angel.

Your Dearest Man.
Roscoe

So heres an hand for the best male actor of the year mr.roscoe :=)
#29396 by Dotti Wed May 26, 2010 5:30 pm
I'm sorry to hear you were scammed, Angel31.

The problem with online relationships is that you can't see or physically spend time with the person at the other computer. If you could have actually seen him and had a real, unplanned conversation, you would have soon discovered that he is an insensitive young African who can't write a complete sentence in English without help. During a scam, he uses scripts and copied letters, generally prepared in advance, to make his character more believable. The letter you posted below is simply a few different letters copied from from lovingyou.com (a favorite place for scammers to steal material) with a few extra lines added in, strung together into one email.

Look closely, and you will where the English deteriorates in a few places, where he either tried to add his own words or made copy-paste errors: Here are a few examples (there are more instances at the end of the email).
"you fills me with joy",
"Although I know it’s hard for us to be apart,but"
"will believe you felt the same way too "

Here's one of the original letters:
http://www.lovingyou.com/content/inspiration/loveletters-content.php?ID=890

Unfortunately, one of the reasons these scammers often succeed is because victims who are unaware of how they work are not looking for mistakes or signs such as these. The best way to protect yourself from further loss and emotional turmoil is to educate yourself. You need to understand, for example, that the best way to help yourself is to cut all ties with him if you haven't done so already. If you don't cut ties, he may deny scamming, go with an even more romantic approach, and try to win you back--or he may admit to scamming but claim that he really fell in love with you. These are just more lies to try to get more money from you, and no matter what he says or does, he is not the man in the photos or the person he pretended to be--dealing with him further will ultimately cause more pain for yourself.

You also need to be aware of recovery scams, in which you are approached by an "official" or someone else who claims they can get your money back. Ultimately, this is nothing more than a new approach to take more of your money. There is more information about romance and recovery scams here at scamwarners, and I suggest you take the time to review both, as they will help you to protect yourself. And remember, we are always here if you need help!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#33344 by GomerPyle Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:43 am
The bottom line for these scum is money.

There's no one who isn't rich, they can't make poor, and no one poor they can't put into debt. You may not be aware how far they will push you to forego food and medecine to satisfy their selfish craving for money. They rank alongside paedophiles for their perverted behaviour and prey on females in much the same way. I knew one woman who had been the wife of a verterinarian and had been reduced to living on benefit, and the scammer still wanted $50 from her.

Any man who asks you for money from an online relationship is what we in the UK call a 'ponce' and should be dropped without a second thought. Giving a stranger money isn't a sign of love, it's am invitation for a scammer to dip in to your wallet, an that's the one thing they won't let you down over. If the only person they can ask money from is someone over the internet, whatever their circumstances, then they aren't who they claim to be. Friend ? Family ? Bank ? Employer ? - if they can't get money from any of them, then there is something seriously wrong with the fantasy world they claim to live in.

Scammers are hard to track as they change names and stories all the time. They are superstitious and think that one story might be luckier than another, and to them it's like fishing. If you bite, they see only money no matter how rich or poor you are. If they can persuade you to pass their counterfeit cheques through your account it's pure profit to them, and nothing but misery to you.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#33356 by Chris Fuller Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:21 pm
Hello Petunia,

I see that you have deleted your last post before I had the chance to respond to it, but I had already copied a few lines from it, so I'll write about these things that your correspondent has told you:

He said that he had a case of identity theft and a deal of money was taken out of his bank a few years ago and that all this scam is not true and that he would correct everything that is going on.

Scammers frequently claim a case of identity theft and incorrect accusations when they fear that you may have discovered online evidence about their scams.

his wife died during childbirth along with his child.

Scammers frequently have sad stories like this (others include wife and child dying in a car accident, or wife having an affair with his best friend) to gain your sympathy.

He said he was born in Florida and that his family is from the Netherlands

Again, scammers often claim to have been born in, or have family in, a country which speaks a non-English language. This is so, if/when they telephone you, they have a ready-made excuse for not having an American accent.

He presented me to a friend for a second job.

This job is likely to involve handling fraudulent checks or money orders, or receiving goods purchased by stolen credit cards, or any scenario that requires you to send money through Western Union or MoneyGram. Do not be tempted to try such 'work' - it will be illegal, and benefit the scammer, only.

Please read here about Employment scams and here about Mystery Shopper scams, but be aware that there are many variations.

He said he can't call me too because his phone doesn't work right

He probably cannot phone you because his telephone number would reveal his real location - or his accent would make you suspicious about where he is really from.

It may be helpful to you to also read:

Are you falling for a love scammer? and:
Are you chatting to a love scammer?
#33420 by petunia Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:49 am
I actually deleted it for a reason because I was going to try and narrow him down because he was still online through his yahoo and gmail.
[email protected]
[email protected]
He still has his pictures all up on those profiles (I sure wish I can find that real guy too) and I was trying to nail where he was at. I'm trying to find programs that do email locations but the one I found was only revealing gmails location and not his. lol
After I read this I did confront him about it all, he stated all that stuff to me and I was like what a bastard to try and use women as a victim. I'm not really stupid when it comes to warnings. I do put up a wall right aways and see in what I can do in my part to snag some of these scum bags.
Yes, it was the same Roscoe obviously. The stories all matched up with all the other girls. With the gems merchant, loss of his wife and child, flying places, and what not.
He kept changing his stories. Like he made several phone calls to his supplier but yet his phone is broke and if he was as rich as he says he is why doesn't he just buy a new phone. I hope he does get snagged one day and all the women can be warned of this Roscoe dream guy.
#33427 by Chris Fuller Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 am
If you are able to post the headers from one of the emails that Roscoe sent from his yahoo.com address, we might be able to help you find out which country the email was sent from.

If you are not sure how to locate the headers, just say which email programme you are using (eg Outlook, Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc), and we can provide some instructions.
#33428 by Dotti Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 am
Petunia,

gmail strips IP's so you will not get a location using any IP tracing software. Yahoo does not strip IP's so if the scammer is not using a proxy you can get a location, but you need to understand that tracing to an IP will not lead you to the scammer--often it will only lead you to a general location (which can be off by several miles), and that is all. For example, it may lead you to Lagos, Nigeria.

Even if you are lucky enough to get a closer hit, (say the IP address is static) scammers in Africa generally work from internet cafes--and Lagos has a population of 17 million people. You have no way of knowing which of those 17 million people in Lagos sat in a specific cafe at a particular time, let alone who sat at a computer computer pretending to be Roscoe.

In other words, when we look at IP's, we are merely confirming that the scammer is lying, and getting a general idea of where he really is. You can track every IP he has ever used, and it is not going to get him arrested.

Unfortunately, local law enforcement in the major scamming areas are often as corrupt as the scammers themselves, and often supplement their own income with bribes. Your chances of getting a scammer arrested based on fake profiles, IP's and requests for money are no better than chances of winning the real lottery. This is why we focus on education first - it is our best chance to keep the scammers from winning.

As for the real person in the photos, if they aren't in focus Hawaii, often they are from other modeling sites (model mayhem is another popular one but there are several); they are local celebrities in other countries; or they are taken from a facebook or other social networking page. Chances of the scammer ever having had contact with the real person are slim to none. In general, I also do not recommend that victims try to track down the real person in the photos--often it causes more pain when you discover this person is married, involved, or has a personality nothing like the character you now associate with the photos. Many models are aware that their photos are being used, and a lot of them simply don't care.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#33505 by petunia Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 pm
Hahaha I wouldn't engage the guy. Just meeting a hottie like that with a great personality would be nice. =)
I never got an email from him through yahoo. Just through my gmail. He still uses his gmail account and I have not seen him on yahoo since I confronted him.
I told him that it's not right scamming people and he's like you're harrassing me and I told him scamming is also harrassing people and it's also illegal. He signed right off. hahaha I stopped talking to him after that. I can't stand things like that and wish I could help people get rid of these scumbags.
#78223 by smalltowngirl32 Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 pm
Hello,
Just giving an update on "Roscoe" I know him by Jim Newberry. He still claims to be a dutch/american gem merchant. He is on facebook, (BTW I contacted everyone of his "friends") datehookup.com and Wayn.com. He moved very fast and every letter that is posted on here was sent to me. The pictures were the same as starsearchcasting.com. He has a yahoo account as [email protected] and his gmail is [email protected]. His phone numbers are 360-977-7464 (US) and his foreign number is 011-234-8036624308.
Sadly I was taken for 3500.00. Said all the right things......He "flew" to the Benin Republic to make a gem transaction, but the dealer deposited money in his bank account instead of in person on accident. But when he tried to get into his account it couldn't be accessed. He gave me the account number so I could check the balance, which was to the tune of over 2 million dollars!! But to no avail he could not draw out of it. First he needed money for the plane ticket then it was that he couldn't leave the motel because they had his passport because he couldn't pay the bill then it was for a flight change. The last draw was when he was "arrested" at the airport for overstaying his visa...... which I did not send.
I had my doubts from the beginning, I even searched the internet but his alias's are many. I even called the bank that he gave me and it was a legitimate bank, I gave them the lo-down but I got nowhere! 2 days after sending the flight change payment I found this site. I sent him an email to tell him the jig was up and obviously haven't heard back.
Lesson learned? yep, but I would have helped anyone, I had never known this scam ever existed! I didn't fall in love or had grandiose ideas about him, just thought I was going to help and be reimbursed.
I just wish I could post this on every site!!! BEWARE