Information on romance scams and scammers.
#235808 by Jhc24776 Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:37 am
I have had email chats with someone claiming to have feelings for me and that they love me and we have never met. They where away on a cruise and apparently there were pirates coming after the ship so they had to send personal effects via a courier company named city couriers that operate out of Hong Kong. I am to pay $2250 in taxes and charges for them to get the goods into the country, it is a bag of personal items. The payment is to go to a local account in Australia under the name James Cooney. It isn't going into a company account which doesn't make any sense. The bag contains money and jewellery which will be delivered to me and then she will arrive in a couple of weeks to get the bag from me. She has also asked me not to tell anyone as the bag contains a good sum of money. I am curious if this is a scam. I am leaning towards the fact it is. Any help would be great
Advertisement

#235810 by AlanJones Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:30 am
It is 100% certainly a scam - real people don't ask random strangers on the Internet to receive bags of "personal effects", only scammers come up with such ridicoulos stories.

Please stop all communication with the scammer, but don't tell him you know it is a scam.

Can you also post the email addresses that he is using and examples of some of the emails he sends (particularly the one with the bank account)

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#235855 by Jhc24776 Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:53 pm
WHAT IS REALLY WRONG WITH YOU? WHO ELSE ARE YOU TALKING TO? I GAVE YOU THE RIGHT INFO AND YOU ARE TALKING TO THIRD PARTY. PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME. COMMUNICATE WITH THE EMAIL WHICH WAS GIVEN TO YOU BY ME ONLY AND THAT WAS THE EMAIL THE REPRESENTATIVE AND THE COAST GUARD GAVE EVERYONE AND MOST OF THE PEOPLE IN SYDNEY AND PERTH HAS RECEIVED THEIR THINGS AND ONLY MINE WAS STRANDED. WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS? WHY DO YOU WANT TO LET ME DOWN OR BETRAY ME. CITY COURIER ARE MANY AND THERE DIFFERENT TYPE OF CITY COURIER COMPANIES PLEASE CONTACT THE CITY COURIER WHICH I GAVE YOU THEIR EMAIL REGARDING MY PARCEL. THERE EMAIL IS [email protected] please do this and let me know what they said.
Jolene
#235856 by Jhc24776 Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 pm
CITY COURIER SERVICES CO; LTD.

E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]

THE DELIVERY ADDRESS:

NAME: <removed - dotti>

ADDRESS: <removed>

EMAIL: <removed>

TELL: NIL

Attention: <removed>

NOTICE OF YOUR SHIPMENT ARRIVAL AND DELIVERY SCHEDULE

Please be informed that your Shipment/Package has just arrived on transit in Australia checkpoint sent by CITY COURIER SERVICES from our branch office in Canouan Island. Following the instructions accompanying your package, we have been instructed to deliver to you in your given address <removed>. Within 24 hours of arrival in Australia.

However, and since we do not want to deliver your shipment to the wrong person, you are therefore urgently advised to forward to this email a copies of any of the following documents for proof of identification: Airway bill giving to you by the sender or your Working I.D card.

Please take note that before two of our delivery officers will proceed to your given address for the delivery of your Package. You are to immediately remit to this company the sum of $2,250.00 AUD ( Two Thousand Two Hundred And Fifty AUD) being cost of handling charges (weight) and for payment of local tax in respect of your Parcel at the immigration and custom checkpoint here in Australia to clear your goods before we could proceed with delivery to your address in Australia. You are to make your payment as soon as possible, to facilitate delivery immediately. As soon as this payment is made, kindly forward to us a scan copy of your payment receipt or bank deposit slip to this email to enable our delivery officers proceed immediately to your door step for the delivery of your Shipment/Package to you as soon as our account manager confirmed your payment.

Our accountant representative bank details in Australia to transfer the money for quick confirmation is below. Below is the bank detail you are to transfer the money too:

NAME: James Cooney

BSB: 013313

ACCOUNT NUMBER:- 278493233

BANK NAME: ANZ Bank

AMOUNT: $2,250.00 AUD

Noted (BW)

NOTE: Go to any of the above named bank that is closer to you and the sum of $2,250.00 AUD (Two Thousand Two Hundred And Fifty AUD) transfer to this above account as soon as you are done with the transaction kindly forward to us the receipt to confirm your payment. You can always send city courier service an email for any question/questions.

As we await your response and payment receipt, we anticipate a long and meaningful services to you.

Yours Sincerely,
Steve Douglas (C.S.O)
For: CITY COURIER SERVICES CO; LTD.