Scams re-targeting those who have already been victimized
#333484 by Suechef123 Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:29 am
I met a guy on Tinder who told me his name is Petra Mann, but he goes by Peter Mann. I don't have his phone number but his email address is [email protected]. He lives close by, but we haven't met yet and he works on an oil rig off of TX, which is an immediate red flag. He told me he was scammed online by a woman and his friend who works at Homeland Security helped him recover most of the money. He sent me the email address: [email protected]. I sent copies of information about a recent online scam to him and to his friend, along with my name and address. When I looked up cybersecurity on Google it doesn't seem to exist. He is in love with me after only talking a few times. He says he will pay his friend for the cost of the search, if he can find out the cost before he leaves for TX in a few hours. I've never heard of recovery scams, but this definitely sounds like one. Please advise.
Advertisement

#333488 by Mike Wilson Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:01 pm
Recovery scams a common. - Never pay money to get money. cybersecurity.com appears to be an email only domain with no content. [email protected] would not be the email address of a homeland security agent.

A legitimate Homeland Security email address will end with dhs.gov .

Please post a sample of the emails here and we will be able to give you more information.

Do not send any money and if they ask for money to be sent stop all contact without telling them that you know it is a scam.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#333492 by Suechef123 Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:21 pm
Here's the email. Peter said he is sending him $3,500. I said that I couldn't send him any money.

Re: Payment

Sent By Danny Fischer
To: To xxxxxx
"Danny Fischer"

MessageHello xxxxxxxxxxx,
The total payment for our two agents is $4750.00 USD. You are to proceed with the payments within 7 workings days through Moneygram. Here's the informations to send the money to my secretary.

NAME: RAQUEL DOMINGUEZ
CITY: EL PASO
STATE : TEXAS

--
Sent from CYBERSERVICES UNIT.
<xxxxxxx> wrote:
Danny,

Please let me know how much it will cost to track down this guy and get my money returned.

Thanks,
xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information and added quotation.
#333494 by Mike Wilson Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:32 pm
This is a recovery scam. The request for an upfront payment to be sent via Money Gram is proof of the scam. No real agent would ever ask for a payment for an investigation or recovery.

Peter is not sending anyone any money and this is just a lying scammer. Stop all contact with these criminals.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon