What's new in the world of scams and ScamWarners.
#271899 by TerranceBoyce Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:40 am
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/eBay-car-scam-warning-legitimate-Leicester/story-28007059-detail/story.html

October 18, 2015

eBay car scam warning after legitimate Leicester company's name is hijacked by fraudsters

People are being warned not to fall for an internet scam in which customers pay up-front for high value cars that turn out not to exist.

The scam, which involves cars being advertised for sale on internet auction site eBay, has seen fraudsters hijacking the name and details of a genuine Leicestershire transport courier firm to dupe customers into believed they can collect their newly-bought cars from the firm's Leicester address.

Customers are told that the sale is being handled by a third-party company called Transport 4 Business. But those who turn up to collect the car they think they have bought find the address is in fact the accounts office of a genuine local firm called Transport 4 Business, which is not involved in the scam in any way.

Five would-be local buyers have already lost more than £30,000 after transferring money to pay for cars which turned out not to exist, said Leicester Trading Standards.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#303889 by Marty1970 Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:23 am
I also think that I have been "scammed" this way. I am currently on holiday in France and was expecting to have a car (hummer h2) delivered on my return next week. I haven't heard anything from either the company, or the owner of the car.
I just need to know where I go about reporting it?
1. My local police (Lancashire )
2. Leicester Police
3. Eastham, London (the area where the bank account was registered to)