What's new in the world of scams and ScamWarners.
#345081 by ScamInformation Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:43 pm
http://www.wral.com/virtual-scammer-dem ... /17110290/

Virtual scammer demands $5,100 for son's 'safe release'

RALEIGH, N.C. — A virtual kidnapping scam that originated in Mexico has made its way to the Triangle. A Raleigh family was out $500 before realizing they were being scammed.

Mark Pxxx said he answered a call from a man who said his son, who happened to be driving back to college in Charlotte, had been in a wreck.

The caller said the people he hit had kidnapped his son and demanded money for his release.

"He told me to go to Walmart and send over $5,100," Pxxxxx said. "I told him I didn't think I had that kind of money in my account, but I would look."

Pxxxx was being sucked into what the Federal Bureau of Investigation calls a virtual scam, which originated in Mexico, but is spreading across the United States.

"For someone to say they're holding a gun to your child's head, and they've been in a car accident is beyond cruel," Pxxxx wife Rxxxx said. "There's no words for that."

Pxxxx went to the Walmart on Glenwood Avenue. The police met him there and contacted his daughter to make sure she was safe.

"I called my brother," daughter Gxxxx Pxxx said. "He was okay. I think at this point, my dad was still on the phone with the guy, who was trying to get money from him. It was just an overall scary experience."

Pxxxx eventually transferred $500 to a location in Puerto Rico before he discovered his son was safe.

"$500 is a lot of money, but at the same time, it's not a lot of money for the well-being of my son," he said.

The FBI offers a few tips to identify this type of scam.

Callers often go to great lengths to keep someone on the phone. The calls also do not come from the alleged victim's phone, and the caller will try to stop you from contacting the alleged victim.

"The whole time I was on the phone with him, he told me not to call anyone, not to hang up, just to stay on the phone with him, that he would be the one to help him out," Pxxxx said.

The FBI said if you do suspect you received a scam call, do not call out your loved one's name.

Try to slow the situation down and request to speak with the family member directly.

Indicate to the person that you are suspicious of a scam, and request to speak with the family member before you wire any money.

It is important to contact law enforcement as soon as possible.

http://www.wral.com/virtual-kidnapping- ... /17111990/
Virtual kidnapping scam targets 2 Triangle families
RALEIGH, N.C. — WRAL News has heard recently from two victims of what the FBI calls a virtual kidnapping scam, which is very similar to the Grandparent Scam that has generated headlines in the past.

In both incidents, scammers make hundreds of calls and sometimes even send text messages in order to connect with someone who doesn't know where their children or grandchildren are. Law enforcement authorities say in many instances the scam works.

"For somebody to say they're holding a gun to your child's head and they've been in a car accident is beyond cruel," said Rxxxx Pxxxx, who was targeted by scammers. "There's no words for that."

In some instances, a grandparent will receive a call from a grandchild in immediate need of bail money.

"He told me about getting in a wreck, and being charged with drunk driving," said grandmother Vivxxx Sxxx. "I was almost in tears at that point."

Both frightening scenarios-- used by scammers to trick victims into paying hundreds or thousands of dollars.

"They play on your emotions, and make it sound as bad as they can so that you don't really stop and think about what's going on," said Sxxx, who lives in Efland.

It happened to Sxx and to the Pxxx family of Raleigh. The scammers keep victims on the phone-- to keep them from verifying their family member is ok.

"The whole time I was on the phone with him, he told me not to call anyone (and) not to hang up and to just stay on the phone with him," Pxxxx said.

According to the North Carolina Attorney General's office, its investigators have received hundreds of complaints about theses types of scams. And officials say nearly 35 people lost an average of $5,600 each when they electronically transferred money or buying and then sharing codes for pre-paid debit cards.

The scammers demanded $5,100 from the Pxxx, who wired $500 to a location in Puerto Rico before they could verify their son was safe. Sxxxxx said she realized it was a scam before she sent any money. Both victims said they wanted to share their stories to prevent others from being scammed.

"They're the scum of the Earth," Sxxxx said of those who perpetuate this scam.

Investigators say the cases are difficult for law enforcement to bust because the scammers and the places they have money wired to are typically in foreign countries.

FBI investigators say it appears the kidnapping scam is mostly generated from prisoners who are located in Mexico, who then use the ransom money to make their lives behind bars easier,or completely buy their way out of jail.

Western Union recently announced a settlement for some scam victims who wired money to people behind the crime. The company agreed to a $586 million settlement to resolve federal charges. Victims who lost money during that scam can file a claim to get part of their money back.
Advertisement

#345082 by Bryon Williams Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:58 pm
https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-of ... ping-scams
FBI Tech Tuesday: Building a Digital Defense Against Virtual Kidnapping Scams

Welcome to the Oregon FBI’s Tech Tuesday segment. This week: building a digital defense against virtual kidnapping scams.

So what is a virtual kidnapping scam? It starts with a phone call, text, or e-mail. The scammer tells you that he has abducted your child, grandchild or maybe a spouse—and he demands money in exchange for their safe return. Sound familiar? It is the opening scene of a lot of movies and TV shows. However, there is a key difference between kidnapping with intent to ransom, which is very rare and virtual kidnapping, which happens a lot. In a virtual kidnapping, the bad guy hasn't actually abducted anyone. He just wants you to think that he has.

The scammer’s goal is to stress you out so much that you don't take time to consider that the kidnapping is fake. He might try to intimidate you by pretending to be a gang member or a corrupt police officer. He might tell you that your loved one owes him money for a car accident, drug debt, or something similar that could discourage you from calling law enforcement. In some cases, scammers have even had an accomplice scream in the background. In almost all cases, the bad guy will threaten violence against his “victim” if you disobey him. He often has the ability to spoof—or copy —the alleged victim’s number. He wants to cause panic, fear, and a sense of urgency because those feelings stop you from thinking clearly.

So how do you protect yourself?

Be cautious about what you post on social media. In particular, consider waiting to post about foreign travel until after you return. Some scammers call every number with a certain area code, but others research their targets.
Let the people close to you know when you will be traveling to places without cell service or Internet connection.
Know the red flags: Did the call come from a phone other than the victim’s? Was the call from an area code far from where your loved one lives? Did the caller insist that the ransom had to be paid by wire transfer? Did he try to keep you on the phone?
If you do receive a ransom call, try to stay calm. Slow the situation down by writing things down or telling the caller that you need time to do what he’s asking. Request to speak to the victim. Try to contact your loved one by other means, such as text or social media.
Remember—stranger-to-stranger kidnappings are very rare. However, if you believe a real kidnapping has occurred or if you are not sure, call 911.
Overall, when it comes to online scams—if you feel as though a fraudster has victimized you, report your suspicions to law enforcement. You can file an online report at the FBI’s Internet Crime Compliant Center at http://www.ic3.gov or call your FBI local office.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/