What's new in the world of scams and ScamWarners.
#160953 by TerranceBoyce Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:12 pm
This situation has been mentioned on another forum and I thought I should mention it here, even though we haven't seen any examples of it or received any reports ourselves.

At first I thought it might represent a money mule scam or an attempt to get access to someone else's money, which it could be but, apart from you becoming liable for any debts or credit the person given access to that account engages in, there is another risk and crime that most people are probably unaware exists.

It's probably easier to provide a link to the Metropolitan Police site mentioning a prosecution they brought for the crime they termed 'Bonus Abuse' and for which the person involved received a prison term of three years and was told he would be deported at the end of his sentence.

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Man-jailed-for-Bonus-Abuse/1400007796996/1257246745756

It is reported that students are being asked to open bank accounts for other students who claim to be unable to open one for themselves for one reason or another. The problem is that the moment you do that you are knowingly engaged in fraud, making it difficult to offer a defence in mitigation. The severity of the sentence is likely to depend on the scale and type of fraud engaged in which you may have little control over.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement