If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#259802 by lockbird Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:27 pm
So I received an email to my university email address (actually several emails from two different people) about a job opening for part-time work, done in free time around studying and other work, and offering $500 weekly guaranteed. I responded to the email with my cell number and didn't receive a reply for probably a week.

Yesterday, I got a text from someone about the job. He said OCP Group (which, it must be noted, is a real company which deals in phosphates) was looking for representatives to meet with potential buyers of phosphate products, relay orders to the company, report on transactions, etc. He linked me to the very real OCP Group website (which is also described on Wikipedia). He wanted personal information like name, address, phone number, which I gave to him rather naively I suppose, but I figured that sort of information is somewhat available anyway. (Also, in hindsight, the texts were kind of unprofessional, and VERY pushy). Then he asked if I could start tomorrow and began to request bank information for "the accountant." Which included account holder name, usernames, passwords, and pin number???

He said I should move all my money out of the account before providing that information so I "felt safe." Which still kind of confuses me because... what then? Take out credit cards in my name and wreck my credit? Heaven knows I don't know, but getting into my bank account sounds horrifying.

At some point he sent me a "contract" to look over by email. It had what is probably the real signature of the real head of OCP Group at the bottom. Otherwise, bad capitalization, grammar, spelling, and a really poor job description.

I really was more taken in that I should have been, but I am a poor college student. I gave him more information about my bank than I really should have.

Also worth noting is that all these emails came to my school address, so they're probably targeting university students, and that "Brandon" and "David" who sent me the emails each had several different email addresses, most of which sounded pretty sketchy.

Rude, scamming college students.
Advertisement

#259806 by Mike Wilson Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:12 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners lockbird,
Please post the opening email along with the email address and the telephone number used for the text messaging. This information will help others avoid this scam.
If you gave your complete account information to the scammer please contact the fraud department of your bank and let them know your account may have been compromised.

If you have any additional questions about these money mule scams please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#260064 by lockbird Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:44 am
The opening email looked like this:

Hello,

part time work that can be done from school or home while studying.

Salary/wages: $500 weekly. Email me [email protected] asap with your personal email address and cell phone number for more details about the job.

Best regards,
Brandon Charles.
O.C.P Employment Department USA.
Tel: (908) 378-8342
Email: [email protected]

Another one I got looked like this:

Annoucement! !! !!

Ever wished you can combine schooling and working ? Here is that opportuinity you have been waiting for, Get a chance to work as a R E P R E S E N T A T I V E in your area. no charges fee to start work. if okay with this, send your N A M E and P H O N E - N U M B E R to me directly.

Yours Sincerely
David Hall

The email addresses were [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]. Yep, a bunch. All pretty sketchy too, for "representing a large corporation."

Edit: I don't seem to have the number anymore, it isn't in my blocked list...

Edit again: I found it, sry. (810) 673-8108
#260240 by she2go2009 Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:29 pm
I know now that it is not legit, but I was curious exactly how they were trying to scam me, so I just played along.
I got a text this morning telling me to withdraw the money to take to the "supplier". I informed the person that the money has not been deposited in my account yet. I was then informed, "supply has to be made latest today." I was then asked if I could help out the supplied by sending $500 to the supplier. I told the I was a poor college student who has 3 jobs and just barely holding my head above water. He/she was still insisting that I help the supplied by "raising" $500. Informed him/her that I am here to make money not lose money. Never heard back from them.
#260246 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:16 pm
Please stop all contact with the scammer/thief. He is programed to reply to each and every message you send. As long as you respond to him, he thinks that he may have a chance to steal your money.

Do not tell him that he is reported here.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#260247 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:18 pm
For the bots.

lockbird wrote:The opening email looked like this:

Hello,

part time work that can be done from school or home while studying.

Salary/wages: $500 weekly. Email me [email protected] asap with your personal email address and cell phone number for more details about the job.

Best regards,
Brandon Charles.
O.C.P Employment Department USA.
Tel: (908) 378-8342
Email: [email protected]

Another one I got looked like this:

Annoucement! !! !!

Ever wished you can combine schooling and working ? Here is that opportuinity you have been waiting for, Get a chance to work as a R E P R E S E N T A T I V E in your area. no charges fee to start work. if okay with this, send your N A M E and P H O N E - N U M B E R to me directly.

Yours Sincerely
David Hall

The email addresses were [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]. Yep, a bunch. All pretty sketchy too, for "representing a large corporation."

Edit: I don't seem to have the number anymore, it isn't in my blocked list...

Edit again: I found it, sry. (810) 673-8108

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/