If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#262588 by Blobster Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:42 am
Just joined this site today in the UK so as to publicise an event which occurred yesterday afternoon, which thankfully I spotted and managed to prevent any financial loss.
Around 4:30 my private e-mail was bombed with around 300 spam e-mails in the space of 3 minutes, which for me was a highly unusual volume of traffic and pretty much ground things to a complete halt in my mailbox.
What to do? Well, as most of us would probably do I started to delete en masse that which was quite obviously spam, eg Californian hair salons, Albanian pizza parlours et al!! Anyway, as I was doing so I noticed buried in amongst the spam a notification of a payment from paypal.
I clicked on the e-mail and it was for a payment for goods of €2200!! At first I thought this was just another spam e-mail, but then I thought I'd log on to my Paypal account - not through the link on the e-mail though, and to my horror once I'd logged in, there was the payment on my list of transactions!.........How the hell?????
I managed to cancel my bank - paypal link, so nothing could be taken, and paypal have also thankfully now resolved and cancelled the transaction.
It frightens me to think that I could so easily have deleted the paypal transaction notification e-mail, so was just pure luck that I was sat by the computer as the e-mails were dropping in - if I'd just walked in and seen a screen full of 300 spam mails I'd have probably done what anyone else would have - grabbed the lot and binned them in one hit, and then found out a few days later when the money had gone.
I've no idea where or when I've been slack, enabling them to gain access to attempt this transaction, but it has sure woken me up! As it happens I deliberately link my paypal to an old dormant bank account, into which I drop some funds as and when necessary, so although it wouldn't have left us penniless, one sure doesn't need the hassle.
Hope this helps someone else to spot this attempted heist on their system
Stay sharp!!
Blobster
Advertisement

#262595 by Tim Atem Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:13 am
Wow - you should be proud of yourself that you caught it when you did and were savvy enough to check your Paypal account right away.

Have you checked your computer for Malware just to be sure there's nothing on there? I would do a scan just to make sure. That's a common way for scammers to get access to your logins. You haven't visited any unusual sites or clicked on any links in weird emails lately have you?

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#262600 by Blobster Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:56 am
Thanks for the reply - naturally I will now be undertaking a thorough security review of both PC, mobile phone & XBOX!!!
I have a hunch that I may have left the EBAY app on my phone logged in, and I did the silly thing of linking my Paypal and Ebay accounts "for convenience" (yeah, right), so that could have opened a door for them.

Maybe I just had an easy password on Paypal? - let's face it, the Paypal security fences ain't that high when compared to bank websites.
I tend not to click on anything that looks a bit dodgy, especially on e-mails, as the risks are well known these days, and as mentioned earlier, I deliberately had it linked to an old account which wouldn't pull the rug from under us if it were compromised in such a way.
All in all - I'm a bit puzzled as to how they got in - I've probably been careless somewhere, but hopefully all they got was a fleeting visit and I can rebuild my fences!

I guess the main point I was trying to make was to highlight that method of delivery - i.e the deliberate carpet bombing of my e-mail account to try to hide the e-mail receipt (thanks heavens for the auto receipt from Paypal, eh???...would have never have spotted it otherwise)
The payment was bound for a guy named Removed (BW), so if you see this on a Paypal transaction then be alarmed!
So please - if any of you get a few hundred spam e-mails delivered in the space of a few minutes, then please, please go through them with a fine toothed comb as they might be hiding a nasty surprise.
take care - it's a jungle out there!!!
Blobster