If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#265909 by emmahbaldwin Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 pm
Hello! I was contacted by someone claiming to be Rachel Hibbard requesting my services as a dog sitter and walker. She said she was coming back to the United States from New Zealand, that she was a sexual abuse solicitor working for the UN. But I could find no online presence. Okay I thought, pretty odd, you'd think a big shot UN lawyer would have a website, right? She said she would send me a check for $450 dollars as my first weeks pay in advance to "secure my services." At this point I was like wow okay that's a lot of money, it could be sketchy or it could be real. So I went with it. She asked for my address and basic info. Nothing too bad. I asked for info about her so I could try to make sure that she was real and she gave me her name and her husbands name and her son. Stuff about their dog and how they're good Christians and that I wouldn't regret working for them. She seemed off and on to be a real person, but when I tried to ask about New Zealand or herself she wouldn't respond. I asked for a Skype conversation and she didn't reply and then I requested when she got here that we meet for a coffee and talk. She agreed to that. But then she sent me this big confusing message about how she needed me to deposit my check and then send a money gram to some random person who was supposed to get the rest of my check. After getting that message of was sure that the whole thing was a scam and then was absolutely sure when I googled and found other instances of this happening.
Advertisement

#265914 by HillBilly Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:38 pm
emmahbaldwin wrote: how she needed me to deposit my check and then send a money gram to some random person who was supposed to get the rest of my check.

Hi and welcome to scamwarners, emmahbaldwin. This is a classic fake check fraud.

please post the email address, phone #, or any other data you may have about this scammer ( They change names more often than you and I drink water, so names are useless). The "random person" may or may not be a victim or a co conspirator, so please do not post his/her info here.

Do not give her any of your personal information. If you already have, and receive a check, take it to the US Postal Inspector's office as soon as you receive it, along with the emails and other evidence you have regarding this fraud. Find your local USPI's office here : https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-is.cfm

if you receive emails from this or other scammers in the future, just delete and block their addresses.

See this article about fake checks to help you learn more about them.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3237