If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#269603 by JenOS Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:50 pm
I've been selling my car on Craigslist and here is a new scam I faced with today: the potential buyer lives 3-4 hours away, he is getting a car loan and wants me to email him a car title and registration to get the loan. BEWARE! This is a scam! Banks do not need the registration and title to issue a car loan, they only need a mileage and VIN.

Here is the scammers emails:
Jen,

>
> If we like it, we would like to complete the purchase transaction at that time.
>
> I have an approved Bank of America car loan for the amount you requested $15, 900.
>
> Could you please make photocopies of the following items an attach to this e-mail address, then I can complete Bank of Americas' loan process.
>
> 1) copy of the current vehicle registration,
>
> 2) copy of both the front and back of the title,
>
> 3) seller's full name, address and phone number
>
> If you need to verify any of this, please contact Bank of America Loan department. The loan application number is: 39204747
>
> I will call you later this morning. I am trying to get all the loan processing done today.
>
> V/R,
> Craig Colby

Here is my reply:

Hi Craig, i contacted BoA, they said they only need VIN & mileage for auto loan approval.

And, of course, his response:
Jen,

I think we will pass on this vehicle. The loan process and the distance is not going to work out.\

Thank you,
Craig

PLEASE, DO NOT LET THE SCAMMERS THRIVE, if you feel something is wrong, it's probably wrong.
Advertisement