If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#272976 by oops Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:44 pm
[email protected]

A person going by the above email address, as a John Meyer.

Initial email looks like this,

Hello Tutor, I need a Algebra tutor for my Son,i want him to be taught by you.Phil is 13yrs old and he can easily catch up.Although,I've arranged with my caregiver that my Son is coming to stay with him for his period of tutoring and he had agreed with me. I want you to email me back with following information: your area of residence,total cost of tutoring for 1 months (1 hour per day 3 times/week),your years of teaching experience. Expecting your prompt response. Regards.. Sent from my iPad

And last email,

Its my pleasure to have my son under your tutelage. He will be coming for the lesson starting from October 30th . I want to alert you on the delivery of the check to your address any moment soon, as I was told that the check has been sent out to your address as I said to you that my attorney will send out the payment before traveling, Although the check is a bit more than your teaching cost, am so much sorry for the inconvenience.

My attorney included my son and his caregiver traveling expenses on the check to avoid delay in traveling plans and other preparation for the lesson. Once you have cash the check at your bank, you are going to deduct the lesson fee, and you will assist me to send the left funds to the Caregiver who will be taking proper care of my son during his stay for his lesson. The left money that will be sent to my Caregiver, will be for my son feeding, travel expenses to your place and other commissions. Hope I can trust you with the balance?

I would have love to pay the caregiver myself but the caregiver is out of state and he will not be coming until it's a day before my son arrive and as you can see my attorney has traveled. I will be more than grateful if you can render this assistance and I won't mind paying you extra $50 as compensation for your efforts. Do keep me posted as soon as the check arrive so that we can proceed from there.

Regards..

I received a fake check. I can't tell it is fake, but I know it is because this tutoring scam is very common. Be careful you all!!!!
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations.
Advertisement

#272980 by Bryon Williams Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:47 pm
Yes, it is a fake check.

Give it, the package and copies of emails to your banks fraud dept or whoever delivered the package.

Stop all contact with the scammer.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#331927 by beth11 Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:58 pm
Hi all,

This scammer is now going by John Watson, he just contacted me today on University Tutor. His emails are fairly similar to the ones he sent to the other members who commented and the email address he/she used:

[email protected]

Thanks!

Beth